Necrons HURT!

Hatefires

Recently we played a spearhead battle over Christmas break with 6750pts on each side and 2 spearheads per team.

Good (ours):

Tau 2250 pts

Blood Angels 2250 pts

Blood Angels 2250 pts (me)

Evil:

Necrons: 3375 pts

Tyranids: 3375 pts

Me and the Tau player both took the Destroyer spearhead while the enemy took ambush for three monoliths and I forget what the Tyranid player had.

The main thing is Our team was trying to knock out as much Necron stuff as we could before night fighting took effect. We only managed to immobilize and weapon a couple monoliths. A little disheartened after using up 8 blood strike missiles…

There are three points I want to get across and get help with.

Ouch # 1) some lightening thing the Necron player was able to use at the start of every turn, he rolls a 6 for any of our units on the board regardless of line of site he gets D6 hits if I remember.

Ouch # 2) I charge a Necron lord with a death company furioso and his band of warriors with 8 Death Co. and a Chaplain. DC dread does 1 unsaved wound , misses with next Blood talon attack, and gets killed by the lord with Str7 +2D6. I was trying to avoid mindshackle on my DC troops. Combat resolution I blow away the initiative test because he lost by like 8, Run them down (removed right?) and then the Necron lord just gets to res with 2 wounds out of combat, after his unit was chased down? Explain the validity of this please.

Owee! #3) Night fighting every turn of the game made My sides shooting pitiful. Is there any way to combat this other than search lights? And I can never shoot over 36” (2D6 x3)? This is so powerful I want to vomit.

We had mostly vehicles since it was Spearhead game with Objectives. The Tyranid player wasn’t much of a threat because he played to cautiously. The Necron player had a field day with us, we succeded to the Evil side at the end of Turn 3 as the game had already lasted 6 hours and some of us had plans. Was a friendly game drinking and eating pizza so it didn’t play as fast as we could but having Booze during a game is nice, especially when you are eating it so hard.

We just got hurt so bad by the single Necron player that I need help in the tactica department. More infor if clarification is needed but I want er NEED help with those three points.

Thanks!

We just got hurt so bad by the single Necron player that I need help in the tactica department. More infor if clarification is needed but I want er NEED help with those three points.

Alrighty.

Ouch # 1) some lightening thing the Necron player was able to use at the start of every turn, he rolls a 6 for any of our units on the board regardless of line of site he gets D6 hits if I remember.

Yeah, its a special character rule- if I remember right, the name is Imotekh the Stormlord. Its pretty OP for a battle as big as that, since you have so many units he's bound to roll some 6's. GW balances their games typically for the ranges of 1500-2500 points, not 7,000 points :)

Run them down (removed right?) and then the Necron lord just gets to res with 2 wounds out of combat, after his unit was chased down? Explain the validity of this please.

A lot of Necrons have a rule called "Reanimation Protocols" that lets them get back up on a (I think) 5+, but they cannot use this rule if their unit has been wiped out. Necron characters have a rule called "Ever Living" which allows them to get back up even if their unit has been wiped out, and I believe it also has a chance for them to get 1-3 wounds back for rolling 4-6, but don't quote me on that last part :)

Owee! #3) Night fighting every turn of the game made My sides shooting pitiful. Is there any way to combat this other than search lights? And I can never shoot over 36” (2D6 x3)? This is so powerful I want to vomit.

I believe this is a Cryptek's special piece of wargear, but it might be a character just like #1. And, yeah, it forces you to get close if you want to do any shooting at all. Necron armies with this ability will have a whole lot of fun with IG parking lots and any other army that just wants to sit back and shoot.

For Ouch # 2, I was told I could try and consolidate over the lords corpse marker and spread out over it so he can’t be 3” away without being with in 1” of one of my units. Since I had Rage on all the models I assaulted with I had to consolidate toward the closest visible unit, *sigh*

I think I am going to bring a land raider along to drive back and forth over that jerk lords corpse.

I need more tricks like this, and if I kill those units with the characters, will those rules cease to exist. Can I just lock them in combat?

I got to get a better battle with the ‘Crons or I am going back Chaos for the sole purpose of turning Lords into spawn regardless of whether I win or lose :D .

For Ouch # 2, I was told I could try and consolidate over the lords corpse marker and spread out over it so he can’t be 3” away without being with in 1” of one of my units. Since I had Rage on all the models I assaulted with I had to consolidate toward the closest visible unit, *sigh*

Now that you mention it, that might work, but there might be verbage in the rule that allows the character to resurrect as close to that spot as possible.... I don't remember for sure, though. Someone with the codex, some help please? :D

I think I am going to bring a land raider along to drive back and forth over that jerk lords corpse.

I'm with you on that one :D

I need more tricks like this, and if I kill those units with the characters, will those rules cease to exist. Can I just lock them in combat?

The rules are on the models themselves, and will not be taken away if you kill one or the other. Sure you can lock them in combat, but how will that help you? :)

as requested, a necron player with a codex to clarify :D

starting with imotek, every necron shooting phase you roll a d6 for every unit. at the beginning of every game turn, you roll a d6: his ability continues if you greater than the turn on that d6. like was stated earlier, pretty powerful in apoc level games considering how many things are on the board.

im of the opinion that if you kill the character generating the rule, it goes bye bye, though in imoteks case it never states he is the one generating the lightning or the night fighting. it IS his ability though, so i say it goes away with his death.

reanimation/ever living rolls work on a 5+, a 4+ with a resurrection orb in that unit (not just nearby). if a character has the phalactry item, they get d3 wounds back the first time they reanimate, not just the regular 1.

the night fighting rule is part of imoteks ability, but crypteks can take solar flares. one use only, they create night fighting or get rid of it for 1 player turn.

you are correct with the consilidation, if the lord cannot be placed within 3" of the marker, it is destroyed. so basically create a 3" circle around it and over it and your good (easier said than done, i know :D). also, something to think about until the faq comes out: the way it is written currently, ICs with the ever living rule either reanimate within 3" of their marker if they were killed on their own or they rejoin the unit they were with if they die while joined to it. notice, that this means if you manage to kill the IC before you wipe out the squad he joined, the IC is not allowed to resurrect because he was joined to a unit (which now doesn't exist) when he died :).

Yeah, this one is a balance issue - talk it over with your group. My first thoughts as to reasonable accommodation would be that he can affect at most 20 units per turn (As there are only 17 FOC slots this seems like a reasonable number), or limit his affect to units within 72" - the width of a standard 4' X 6' gaming table.

Ouch # 2) I charge a Necron lord with a death company furioso and his band of warriors with 8 Death Co. and a Chaplain. DC dread does 1 unsaved wound, misses with next Blood talon attack, and gets killed by the lord with Str7 +2D6. I was trying to avoid mindshackle on my DC troops. Combat resolution I blow away the initiative test because he lost by like 8, Run them down (removed right?) and then the Necron lord just gets to res with 2 wounds out of combat, after his unit was chased down? Explain the validity of this please.

There is an ongoing debate in the +OR+ forum about this and similar issues with EL/RP.

With Imotekh, the Night Fight rule is only guaranteed on turn 1. Thereafter, the Night Fight rule only continues if a d6 roll is greater than the current turn number.

Other things to remeber. If a weapon can fire indirectly you don't need to roll to see in night fighting, does not help much for the armies you were running, but it is important to remember.

Necrons are not balanced for Apoc. For 145 points per turn necrons could make in night fighting on only the opposing teams turn. (Over lord + 1 solar pulse crytek, wash rinse repeat.) If teamed with enough long range shooting from other armies, this could be flat broken and no fun.

I'm pretty sure that no models can stand up if a unit is run down, as as soon as the unit falls back/breaks the RP tokens are picked up. NOt 100% on this with ICs but I don't think they get back up.

Which brings me to the last part. Apoc is meant to be played for fun, so you may want to rule that certain Items are not allowed or limited. (Plus rolling for night fighting for every unit could take forever)

I'm pretty sure that no models can stand up if a unit is run down, as as soon as the unit falls back/breaks the RP tokens are picked up. NOt 100% on this with ICs but I don't think they get back up.

I was wondering about this because of the second paragraph in this article:

"Go into combat with full force, cause as many wounds as possible and make sure you win the combat by a hefty margin. The negative modifiers to the Necron's Leadership should cause them to break from combat, which means they lose all their Reanimation Protocol markers."

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/...p?aId=18800001a

of course that is an article

I am starting to wonder if I want a Necron FAQ more than my 80k of student loans paid off!

Necrons are not balanced for Apoc. For 145 points per turn necrons could make in night fighting on only the opposing teams turn. (Over lord + 1 solar pulse crytek, wash rinse repeat.)

Good reason to convince your friendly, neighborhood Space Wolves player to run a Drop Pod battle force (he could PM Grey Mage for tips and tricks). Deep Strike and Acute Senses... ;)

When things are going bad... because the enemy can out dakka you...

You need... HEROIC INTERVENTION if you are a blood angel...

I'm sorry I can't hear your lightning bolts over the sound of my power axe crackling in your head.

Archived