Melekharn is still procrastinating....

Melekharn

Thanks for the comments guys!

More picturey goodness from the depths of.. umm. non-painty-ness.

This picture *should* be showing you my (lame) attempt at GSing fleshy material.

I've done this for two reasons.

A: It strengthens the flimsy bond I had connecting the tail and the body together. Even after pinning I had issues!

B: While it's very messy, it cleans up said connection. Previously, it was just the arm "cogs" leaning against the defilers rear.

gallery_65225_6932_334900.png

I've lowered the guns positiong and brought them closer to eachother. There was previously about a half inch (1cm) gap between the two, which was very much out of place on such a small model. The weapons have also been lowered to allow the tail to curl around more.

I'm in the middle of GSing the connection in this photo, once again to increase the join strength, and to hide the cog that just sits on top of the weapons mounting.

I wasn't happy with the ammo drums I'd used to bulk out the weapons, so I replaced them with wiring, deciding that since a defiler/brass scorpion is powered by a daemonic essence, they would also provide an energy based form of ammounition.

gallery_65225_6932_395858.png

Finally, the whole scorpion.

You can see the tail curled significantly more than in previous pictures. I feel this creates a more menacing presence.

gallery_65225_6932_246068.jpg

All thats really left is to finish the GS on the tail, maybe some Khorne symbols, and finally a lick of paint; the last is unlikely to happen any time soon.

You'll never guess, but a group of Grey Knights Terminators just materialized on my desk...

They're begging me to corrupt them and turn them to the Dark Gods... Something about the Emperor not giving them any recognition.

Anyway, very impressed with the sprue, much better than the Chaos Termie sprues!

So many goodies to make use of and lots of stuff that could be used for Wordbearers - shame I don't have any, nor have any plans of starting some...

I'm trying to decide if I want to arm them with 2x Falchions each to represent lightning claws, or just a simple power weapon/twin linked bolter setup and slapping on a Mark of Khorne. But being able to re-roll wounds is just so tempting. Platter of Cheese anyone?

If I can be bothered, maybe I'll build combi-weapons. Depends on what I decide.

I also grabbed a pot of liquid greenstuff to fill those nasty little areas of text and build up some details like a Dreadnaught I've seen posted on one of GWs many facebook pages

EDIT REASON: Adding some more text, just to frustrate those of you who would prefer pictures!

And once again, a double post!

It appears these Grey Knights are truely blessed by the Blood God.

While defacing the Imperial iconography on their legs, I noticed a couple of red drops on a freshly opened blade.

There was also a neat little slice on my thumb, bloated with the same red liquid.

Anyway, small modelling update (unfortunately no pics, as I don't feel the work I've completed is worth picturials).

As already mentioned, I've removed the Imperial symbols from the legs on the GK Termies and attached them to their bases.

I've carefully sliced the skulls from their shoulder shields and used them to replace the icon on their belt.

I have also used a skull from the Chaos Marauder Horsemen kit to replace the little crozius on the loincloth - a very painstaking process. Removing that little item from the cloth, and then trimming such a small skull to the correct thickness so that it correctly matched the small chain... Never again! At least not this month..

I won't be using the GK bodies. I'll be ordering the WE Termie kits from FW because I think they are absolutely incredible pieces. As a result, my modelling has come to a standstill. I'm wanting to use the GK bodies as proxies while I wait for them, but I'm concerned about whether or not the different styles will effect how the positioning looks.

Here's hoping that FW have pulled their game together - it appears they have going by what I've seen recently, and also what I've heard about when reading peoples rants about finecast.

• 2 weeks later...

TRIPLE KILL!! I mean POST

Anyway, my Khorne WE terminators arrived, and I must say, they did so very quickly.

Normally I'll have them expressed shipped, but this time I decided to just wait it out, and I must say, I got them a lot faster than express!

A whole of 5 days instead of the normal 14! Woo!

Anyway, I opened the package and was a touch dissapointed. Some of the more delicate pieces (hooks for example) were broken in the package.

There are also some very thin pieces of resin on the torso I'll have to be careful of, and where the resin was injected is in the most innappropriate of places, which will make cleaning a little painful.

HOWEVER, the quality of the pieces, besides those I whinged about a minute ago, are incredible!

So much detail! I am very impressed with this purchase!

These are the models I purchased for those who haven't seen them.

Now, one thing I was curious about was how many pieces I would be getting. The way they've been assembled looks like the heads are already attached, which is not the case.

So, for those of you who are interested... Here is a break down of the models prior to assembly.

gallery_65225_6932_2081441.jpg

gallery_65225_6932_736449.jpg

gallery_65225_6932_1610512.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_5763.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_5762.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_5761.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_5760.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting good at this multi-post thing!

Anyway, since I've posted it in a conversion thread, I may as well post here too.

gallery_65225_6932_81772.jpg

This guy is the Chaos Termie Lord I swore way back when...

Earlier this year.

Anyway, as you can see (perhaps not so clearly) there are only a few minor adjustments.

I scrapped the idea of using the flaming mutant arm completely. I was never too keen on it to begin with. It just seemed easier.

I used an open palm as found on the Sanguinary guard kit, drilled a hole through it, stuck a paper clip through it and into a laughing skull, covered in GS, and viola!

Burny-laughy-handy goodness. Daemon weapon done!

Now, on closer inspection, you'll notice I changed the head as well. Why? The pretty Tzeentch horny-helm didn't fit how I wanted it to.

The "horny-helm" didn't allow him to properly look towards his target. So, I've used one of the skull-like helms from the CSM sprue. This gave me a lot more "play space."

Also, I have finished my Grey Khorne Knights. I'll get a picture of the group up soon.

I chose not to take special weapons as I wanted them more for combat, (but didn't want the slice of cheese from twin lightning claws...) hence the Mark of Khorne.

However, I found that 5 twin-linked bolters alone can cause quite a bit of damage.

My fiance and I went to a friends place to teach him to play, and I decided I'd give my Termies a go. (I haven't used them since the squad I previously had was consistantly slaughtered. ..............They are now parts............)

I found that they have a nasty habbit of shooting most things to pieces on the turn they deep strike. In one game, they managed to clear a 4 strong unit of 'Nid warriors... and in another game, drop 6 Khorne Bloodletters, giving my poor CSM a fighting chance!

Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss battles... Please enjoy the lonely picture

@Biohazard: The Defiler has only had a little more GS work done under the tail to help blend things in and make stronger bonds.

When I can be bothered, I will also have to try and make some Khorne symbols. I was hoping to take the easy way out and just use a number of icons from the vehicle sprue, but they're a little bigger than I want, and I dont feel like trimming them down because I feel it creates an ugly, flat surface.

Anyways, I've decided I really should knuckle down and paint some of my models.

So I came up with a colour scheme for my Tzeentch followers.

gallery_65225_6932_2483.jpg

(can you tell I'm too lazy to use army painter or a test model?)

And for his Khorney followers:

gallery_65225_6932_45632.jpg

The only thing that will tie them to my Lords colour scheme is the bone coloured trimmings, and I guess a army icon when I create one.

*CURRENT PROJECT* Working on Lord Slugs Decay Riders.. Just finished adding some GS details to the bikes. Just need to assemble the riders themselves.

I also have some "Fallen Angels" to finish, but they're more or less done. Just needing to stick a combat weapon on them.

Thought I'd quickly drop a picture of the units I've just completed (modelling wise) and what I'm now working on.

First up, my Khorne Terminators.

Now, I know everyone says: "why don't you take a power fist?" or "Why not a chain fist?"

simply, I want my Terminators to strike with, or preferably before the enemy.

"So why not Lightning claws?" I hear some say. Champions, with a mark of Khorne and Lightning claws? Want some crackers to go with that cheese?

Also because I preferred the GK kit. With my army consisting mainly of Tzeentch followers... I think running Spacewolves is a bit hypocritcial (and I despise the vanilla marine Assault termies).

First up... My Terminator "leader" (redundant with them all being Champions, I know..)

gallery_65225_6932_1561167.jpg

Followed by the four others.

gallery_65225_6932_1715557.jpggallery_65225_6932_592463.jpg

I had a few issues with the weapons not fitting correctly with the World Eater shoulder pads. If you look carefully and want to be really picky, you'll see two of the Stormtwin-linked bolters are marginally crooked.

Next up is Lucifer, Raptor Champion of Khorne.

gallery_65225_6932_698961.jpg

I see I focused on the wrong area when I took the photo. Can't be bothered setting up the tripod and SLR again, so it will suffice.

He's quite simply a Sanguinary guard model with a head and a shoulder plate swap. I also filed off the Angels insignia on the "winged" shoulder.

These guys are Lucifer's Fallen Angels.

gallery_65225_6932_341892.jpg

A couple of weapon swaps, head swaps, shoulder swaps and filed shoulders.

"Where are the special weapons?"

Yeah..... about that... I liked the look of the Sanguinary guard bolt pistols so much I kind of ignored that fact and went and glued the angelic shoulders on without thinking. While completing the build today, I sincerely wished I had given them flamers at least.

Finally.......

A teaser of my Chaos bikers.

Lord Slug's Decay Riders.

gallery_65225_6932_1454632.jpg

gallery_65225_6932_2202588.jpg

gallery_65225_6932_933357.jpg

Run-of-the-mill-marine bikers, to which I'm putting CSM bodies and backpacks.

I'm GSing boils (popped and full) onto the bikes, as well as "sliming" up the exhausts and seats of some. some of my bikes even have nice big moles on them.

Comments, critique, hints and tips all greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Small update.

I've just finished assembling my Nurgle bikers.

What now?

Well, I think I have enough parts to weld together a make-shift squad of 1k Sons.

I'll count what remaining models I have and take it from there.

• 1 month later...

So... it's been a while since my last post, and sadly I haven't any new pictures to upload.

I've been working on some Rubric Terminators to use as make-shift Obliterators.

I stole the idea from one of the other members of this board (I'm sorry, the name eludes me) and simply GSed some flames into a hand on each Terminator.

A simple conversion, but effective!

I've also decided to work on a Terminator clad Khorne Champion to lead my World Eater Terminators.

I'll be using a number of left over pieces from the Grey Knights, but replacing one of the glaives with a great, juicy axe.

Finally, I've started work on some 1K marines. They're being made using standard CSM parts with BA Death masks and GS robes. The Sorcerer is being converted using parts from GKs, CSM and GS.

There are also a number of Ork conversions going on at the moment, but this obviously is not the place for them.

Until next time!

~Mel

Ladies and gentlemen.. Probably more gentlemen than anything..

I finally have some photos to display!

Not as many as I'd like, and nothing painted, but photos none-the-less!

Anyway, here they are!

gallery_65225_6932_1551.png

It doesn't really look it from this angle, but I've used the "walking" terminator legs.

I was going for a "I'm coming to get you!" look by sweeping the axe back and turning the torso to one side.

In the next picture, you'll see that (behind the blur) he is looking forward with purpose.

gallery_65225_6932_163079.png

The arms need some work - both arms are left over GK arms, the left one as many of you will know has an empty spot for a stormbolter.

As I have run out of these, I'm left with two options.

1) Try and re-mould the arm and make it "normal"

2) Try and build a twin linked bolter to put there.

I'm thinking that I'll try and sculpt the arm back to normal and think of a different way to represent the bolter that doesn't take away from the models obvious close combat-ness.

Thoughts?

~Mel

EDIT: So I had a brain spasm. I've seen a number of weapon-toting servo skulls floating around. Perhaps this is what I'll have to do!

• 1 month later...

UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!

So... I've been lazy with my painting duties. I've only half painted a single model.

GO ME!!

I've also briefly worked on this guy - A new Terminator Lord to join my "Coming of the Apocalypse" command squad for Apocalypse games.

He might also work as a "count-as" for Typhus.

gallery_65225_6932_30014.jpg

Nothing special at the moment. Just a Chaos Terminator Lord with the end of the staff replaced with a zombie scythe.

I plan on using a stormbolter from the AoBR kit and angling it outwards with the Lord looking along the barrels.

I'm undecided on a head, but considering using a marauder head.

Thens there's all the GS work.

Marks of Nurgle. Blisters, boils, moles, maggots, torn flesh, the Destroyer Hive... I may even try to scratch a Nurgling or two!

Minor Update:

gallery_65225_6932_39769.jpg

Added the second arm. You can't see it from this angle, but I've liquid GSed some trimmings around the shoulder plate and a single spike protruding from the center.

I've also re-attached the cloak. Once I find my many plastic pipes my darling fiance has hidden on me, I'll add the Destroyer Hive.

This should help hide some nasty gaps left from re-positioning the models arms.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another post!

So, very little progress has been made on anything.

My Nurgle Terminator has got himself a nasty case of hives as you can see from this new picture.

Still a lot of GS work to do - mostly hiding that nasty pin in his arm and making the 4 funnels look more natural. Or at least as natural as nurgle can be.

I really wanted these to be symetrical, but my knife-foo and positioning of his arms made that a touch difficult.

at this stage I'm happy with how they turned out anyway. Mutations are *never* perfect, just ask any spawn and they'll agree!

So, here's this picture I promised.

gallery_65225_6932_3728.jpg

Comments? Critique? Just want to chat?

~Mel

• 3 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Have I got a treat for you!

I've finally thrown some paint on a model!

gallery_65225_6932_26784.jpg

He's what my gaming group would class as "tabletop ready" in that he has 3 (or more) colours on him. The most I've ever done! Woo!

It's still very much a WIP, needing some details picked out and the red given deeper shading.

I'm undecided on the blade. It's currently silver with a red wash over the top, but I'm thinking of just painting it black and giving it an extreme edge highlight in blue.

Thoughts and opinions?

Looking really cool! The base colours seem to be painted on very well, as I can't see any signs of too many paint on some spots or covered details. :cuss

You could try to make the miniature 'pop' and stand out by shading and highlighting the 'yellow-ish' parts of the armour, as well as some highlights on the armour itself.

I'd go with a brown mix for the 'yellow' stuff, and highlight it up by mixing some white in the base colour.

For the red, a Devlan Mud wash will probably do fine, followed by line highlights.

You can go with Blood Red, but that will probably look a bit off without good transitions. Other ways are orange, white and even flesh tones. All look good IMHO, and are great for extreme highlights to define the armour plates.

The blade doesn't really stand out because there's too much red on the miniature. Your second idea for it sounds great, though. B)

Snorri

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your suggestions Snorri! Greatly appreciated!

I'm still undecided on how to/what colour to paint the fleshy bits on the dword arm and his "fingers."

This post is a place holder, as I have some updates to post in the very near future, which include pictures of the following:

~My Nurgle Lord in Terminator Armour

~My Khorne Mini Scorpion/Defiler

Infact, that is all I have to update.

Sorry to get your hopes up...

Unfortunately no paint at this stage - I've run out of black undercoat whilst basing on of my fiance's Souldgrinders, and I've been too busy (read: lazy) to get my paint set out.

EDIT: So here are these images I promised.

This is my Nurgle Terminator Lord. I've changed the vents from "pipes" to something closer to Tyranid... Umm... Back things.

I've also added some "scything talons" from the spawn kit. I stole this idea from GuitaRasmus, and you can see his work in the link provided.

gallery_65225_6932_37813.jpg

I'm thinking that I'll change out his weapon. A loyalist storm bolter doesn't really fit, and a combi-bolter isn't really Lordly. I can't decide on a flamer, plasma or melta.

Given I don't think I'll be putting him near a vehicle, a melta doesn't take my fancy, and as my main opponent runs Tyranids, a flamer seems the logical choice. Perhaps I'll use one of the combi tutorials I've seen here and just strap a chaos muzzle on a bolter and hope no-one decides to play rules-nazi.

EDIT2:

This is what little work I've done to the Khorne Defiler - a liquid GS mark of Khorne.

I still need some GS work on the legs to meld them in with the body (I broke the little clips when I pulled the legs off initially)

gallery_65225_6932_57752.jpg

Finally, a scale shot.

I never realised how big this actually was until I had the Terminator in the background, even when it was sitting on my shelves next to every other model in my Chaos army.

gallery_65225_6932_119818.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello once again!

For those of you who are wanting a post regarding my Brass scorpion, I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed. I've done nothing more.

It's partly due to my hobby room currently housing my newest pet and his enclosure being in the way of my hobby tools (as well as most of my bits box and models awaiting glue), but mostly because I'm lazy.

If you go back through my thread, you'll see that I do infact mention this - it doesn't take much for a shiney new project to take my interest from what I'm working on at the time.

"So why bother posting at all?" I hear you ask...

Well, that shiney new project has once again reared it's head.

This time however, I haven't the foggiest what I want to achieve...

It all started when Christmas decorations started appearing in shops - in particular, the electronics store I work for.

One of my staff decided it would be a good idea to do Secret Santa, and so all our names went into a box.

Thrilling isn't it?

Anyway, long story short, the Assistant Manager pulled my name out and because she knows me so well, decided to buy me a model.

This is where we come across a a small problem.

She has no idea what armies I collect.

And so, Secret Santa became not so secret when she blurted out "I'm your Secret Santa, I'm getting you a model, but you need to pick one."

Now, our Secret Santa had a limit of AU$20, and as most of the Aussies here would know... AU$20 no longer buys a model.

I attempted to make this arguement with her, but she insisted, so I found the cheapest model I could for an army I play, without her needing to trawl the internets for something.

gallery_65225_6932_2116.jpg

This is what I settled one. Comes in at AU$24.

On the whole, I like the model.

But there is something I *need* to change.

That weedy little dagger, and the awkward angel his arm is bending just irk me.

It just doesn't look natural - even for Chaos!

And now I sit here wondering. How do I fix it?

Do I simply swap the arm with a pistol?

Perhaps I add a Powerfist with Heavy Flamer and BANG! Counts-as Huron!

Do I find another arm holding an axe and make him all axe-ninja?

All these questions!

So, here's what I want from you.

I want to know, what do you think I should do with him?

How should I fix him?

Do I add the powerfist?

Do I slap on a pistol?

Do I axe/sword him up?

Leave your vote below

Voting will end 25/12/12 @6pm Australian Eastern Standard Time. (it's now 6:54pm AEST)

EDIT: I may have gotten carried away in hating the left arm so much... After seeing the item "tacked" on.. it doesn't look too bad.

The dagger however, is not worthy of an Aspiring Champion.

If I can find a suitable axe head, my vote is for the double-axe combo.

I've decided, when I get around to buying some of those awesome new raptors, this guy will be leading a squad of Khorne Chosen weilding lightning claws. mmm.. cheesey...

(which, in typical fashion, will be scavenged from the warptalons.)

This being the case, any particular set-up in mind?

• 3 weeks later...

So I've done yet some more modelling, and no painting...

The usual storey really.. Too many shiney new toy soldiers.

So, first up is the Aspiring Champion I got for "Secret" Santa.

As you may have read in my previous post, I don't like the weedy little dagger he holds - or perhaps its just the angle his arm is at... Not entirely sure.

I've used a regular marine arm with a Chaos Plasma pistol.

As many of you would know, Chaos arms look nothing like regualr marines. The wrists for example are the biggest difference.

This has meant I've needed to pull out the green stuff and get sculpting:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_0449_zps8b96d942.jpg

So, I've created a more flared wrist and addes the mandatory chaos point.

In this next picture, you can see why I've selected this particular arm.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_0447_zps13ae9a71.jpg

He looks as though he is readying to shoot a fresh target after putting his axe through someone.

Now for the past few days in Brisbane, it has been quite warm. And in typical Queensland weather, it's also been very muggy!

As a result, my green stuff reserves became quite soft and simply refused to leave the pastic wrap they are supplied in.

This has resulted in me mixing what was left on said plastic, which was approximately 2 inches of pre-mixed strip.

What to do...

Oh... Thats right. I'm not overly happy with the fleshy parts of my brass scorpion. It doesn't look fleshy at all! It looks like fur!

BAM!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Melekharn/IMG_0450_zpsb284a019.jpg

Slightly more fleshy, and looking a little more like muscles.

I'll have to wait and see how it looks painted.

Now, if you scroll back through this thread, you'll see I've used plain old wire on the scorpion.

I recently "found" some fine springs in my pocket after I left work one day - the kind stores use to hang "wobblers" from the ceiling.

I'm thinking of replacing the wire with this to give it more texture.

I'll let you know how I got with this.

Anyway, you know the drill - Leave comments and critique.

Disclosure: I've noticed an influx in people who have started giving critical comments when things have needed it - if you feel you need to provide this feedback on any of my work, please do so!

Unlike some of the users here, I want to be told how to improve things. I don't want anything sugarcoated. Kgo!!

So last year I failed my LPC... miserably.

This year, I'm thinking I'll give it another shot... But what to vow...

I believe Biohazard and Subtle Discord would like to see me paint the scorpion, based on previous comments they've made..

I'm tempted to vow my Khorne Champion (with wings) because he's close to done, and 10 weeks or so is plenty of time to add a couple more strokes of paint..

What do I want to paint? Well, I'd love to have my army completed, but I know that with my track record I'll be wearing the badge of shame again.

If it wasn't a painting challenge, I'd vow to have my Slaaneshi "road trip" rhino/predator flashing and playing music...

Perhaps my Daemon Prince? He's served me faithfully in many games... particularly in the latest version of the codex..

I've too many side projects going that I really need to sit down and paint something... Anything!

I don't understand why, but I can't paint things without drama for other people, to a resonable standard, yet I'm overly critical of my own models, so I give up before I start...

Anyway, enough of a rant...

On to what you want..

I, Melekharn of the Flames of Change, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present a Daemon Prince, on or before the 31st of March, 2013. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

• 8 months later...

So it's been a while since I updated... and I really haven't moved forward with anything I've been working on.

As a result, I've decided I've finished this guy, who you'll find a picture of soon.

He's obviously in need of a coat of paint, but the conversion work is done. However, before I start painting him, I want a suitable base!

in games, I take him with the Axe of Blind Fury, a Mark of Khorne and Terminator Armour. Not once has he let me down!

Long story short, I have a basic idea of what I want on his base, but I'm unsure how to execute it.

The idea I have is mount a broken SM figure on his base and have him stepping over it. Now, without a lot of GS work, his legs don't really allow for stepping over corpses.

My search-fu hasn't brought anything up, so I come to you all, a massive wealth of modelling-knowledge-goodness.

I have considered "burying" part of the marine under some clay to give this fellow a way of stepping over him, but it doesn't really suggest a fresh kill (Unless he was squashed by a big chunk of concrete, which defeats the purpose of his "trusty" daemon axe)

Ideas please people?

BELOW:
A tiny big of GS to cover the ends of the chains, and he was complete. Yup... That's all I did since I last posted a picture of him.

gallery_65225_6932_1615296.jpg

gallery_65225_6932_544191.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm supposed to be packing everything, because once again I am moving and as usual, I got side tracked by some possibilities while reading through my codex.

Here is a teaser of what I started while *cough*packing*cough* my bitz box and books.

med_gallery_65225_6932_532620.jpg

As there is only one model that counts as a jetbike in the codex, it will be representing the Disc of Tzeentch, I just need to decide if it will be a Lord or a Sorcerer.

I am also open to suggestions on how I could finish the nose. I want it to be longer and sleeker. I was considering just working with the existing lines and wrap it in plasticard, but I doubt I'd be satisfied with this.

C&C most welcome!

Archived