Crimson Kings WIP thread

Erasmus of Baal

I'm not completely sure that this should be here rather than in the usual WIP forum, but the LPC seems to be a big thing around here, so... yeah. If it's a problem, mods, go ahead and move it. I really don't mind.

THAT SAID...

I signed up for the LPC as the Blood Angels, but I'm actually painting for my DIY successor Chapter (to the Blood Angels), the Crimson Kings. Yes, it's a very prideful name, no, I couldn't come up with a better one that still let me do what I wanted to. If you want to critique, here's the IA! I'm doing two Sanguinary Priests and a Tactical Squad with plasma gun and plasma cannon; in this first post are three models that were pretty much just paint testing and getting a feel for what I needed to do with these guys. I mass-primed most of my army months ago, so I just need to get them to three-color standard and then, well, we'll see whether or not I'm bored of painting at that point. :)

Sorry for the blurry pics; I don't know why I can't get the bloody camera to focus today! And sorry for the shoddy painting; there's a reason I signed up for hardly more than a squad! :D

med_gallery_57129_6826_3480673.jpg

med_gallery_57129_6826_3313159.jpg

med_gallery_57129_6826_4354175.jpg

So, my original design included the entire helmet as gold, but while painting I realized that just painting the top area of the helmet would make a really cool crown-like look, which is rather appropriate for a chapter known as "kings." So in case you can't tell from the pics, this is the current working color scheme (well, apart from the ear-things being gold):

gallery_57129_6826_22159.jpg

I believe that Magnus the Red was known as the Crimson King...

;)

Looking at the Lexicanum entry about him, I probably got my inspiration for the Crimson Kings' name indirectly from the same source that Magnus' designer did: Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, in which a mysterious man known as the "Crimson King" sits atop a dark tower basically ruling the world by magical force. I was only indirectly inspired because I was inspired by the song by Demons & Wizards about the series. :P

UPDATE #2:

Alright, I now have the whole squad painted in a basic red-crimson-gold color scheme; hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of them tonight. I did go over the gold from before with GW's Burnished Gold, and I like the result a lot better. The two Sanguinary Priests remain unprimed, and their detail terrifies me.

Archived