Will this work?

Glitch85

I tried out a "Dantewing" army last night at 1000 points against my mates orks and well it didnt really go to plan, my list was.

Dante

Priest, JP

Sang Guard, Banner, Fist

Sang Gaurd, Infernus x 2, Fist

Sang Guard, Infernus x 2, Fist

Against my was

Big Mek

4 Trucks with 12 Boys & A Nob in each

3 Kans with rockets

About 7 Looters

After the game I was left thinking if I would be able to do anything against an army like this. We played objectives and he basically drove up to the 2 objectives and sat there and picked me off. I did have some unlucky dice rolling double 1 to assault through cover and missing a load of infernus pistol shots but even if i had of rolled well I couldnt see it working.

Anyone else tried this list and know how to use it?

Any chance for a more detailed list of your forces including gear and then possibly a turn by turn battle report? That way we can comment on your tactics target priority etc. Otherwise anything said is purely speculation.

Tactically against a Big Mek and Killa Kans - AV - you'd have to reserve everything and hope to drop in behind them and IP them to scrap metal. Then try to whittle down 1 or 2 squads of Boyz at a time with Angelus Bolters before putting your Gladius Encarmines and 1PF to use in CC.The key here is not allowing all 4 Ork Boy squads to bring their full weight. Speaking of which, did you use Death Masks? Did you use Dante's H&R to always keep the charge?

I'd say drop behind the killakanz and remove them from game second turn. Reserve everything into deepstrike, blow the Kans up and that being done, aim for the Lootas.

You only have 17 models, which is really not much, so you have to play very tactically until you are in a position from where you can assault and gain an advantage over your opponent.

Your opponent is faster than you, those buggies are quite a pain when it comes to speed, but even bolters glance them. So try your luck! If your IPs fail, try to bolter them down.

Shoot the lootas with your angelus-boltguns after you deepstruck. They will have no armour save(as any ork in that list) and are quickly removed from play due to the sheer amount of fire you can put out.

Then, I'd exchange the Fist for one IP from the Banner squad. If you enter the game from deepstrike, you will be wanting to shoot more than one tank/kan at one time. :)

Don't spread out too much. If he goes for objectives in the first moments in the game, concentrate on his shooting abilities. Take out the Kans and Lootas in one round, and the only thing you have to worry about are 49 orks. Pretty easy. :)

If that is impossible without spreading out too much, I'd overwhelm one flank/objective. If he spreads out to get those objectives, even better, you can take his army out piece by piece.

Well, that's what I have come up with for now. Your problem is that you have very few models against a lot of greenskins. A lot. This is the case for the majority of ork lists, but it is very obvious when using a Sanguinary Guard List.

Snorri

*edit:

:D Sanguinarian said already most of what I said. Ninja'd!

I'd say drop behind the killakanz and remove them from game second turn. Reserve everything into deepstrike, blow the Kans up and that being done, aim for the Lootas.

You only have 17 models, which is really not much, so you have to play very tactically until you are in a position from where you can assault and gain an advantage over your opponent.

Your opponent is faster than you, those buggies are quite a pain when it comes to speed, but even bolters glance them. So try your luck! If your IPs fail, try to bolter them down.

Shoot the lootas with your angelus-boltguns after you deepstruck. They will have no armour save(as any ork in that list) and are quickly removed from play due to the sheer amount of fire you can put out.

Then, I'd exchange the Fist for one IP from the Banner squad. If you enter the game from deepstrike, you will be wanting to shoot more than one tank/kan at one time. :)

Don't spread out too much. If he goes for objectives in the first moments in the game, concentrate on his shooting abilities. Take out the Kans and Lootas in one round, and the only thing you have to worry about are 49 orks. Pretty easy. ;)

If that is impossible without spreading out too much, I'd overwhelm one flank/objective. If he spreads out to get those objectives, even better, you can take his army out piece by piece.

Well, that's what I have come up with for now. Your problem is that you have very few models against a lot of greenskins. A lot. This is the case for the majority of ork lists, but it is very obvious when using a Sanguinary Guard List.

Snorri

*edit:

:D Sanguinarian said already most of what I said. Ninja'd!

Angels of a feather think alike is what I always say Snorri! ;) You elaborated quite better than my speculations.

The Art of War states that when outnumbered you must even the odds and with all the Special Rules and gear that a Dante-wing List can can bring, you have the means to table those greenskins. Don't abandon your list because it didn't work once. You have to perfect your tactics using what you have. Something else I thought about, if you opted for an HG instead of SG + SP, your Priest Initiate wouldn't be an IC and singled out in CC. Then you could beef up that squad - Dante's HG - with AV/MC killing gear.

I'm actually building something similar for my 5 year old daughter because she wants to play with Daddy's pretty toys all the time - read: really mine, but she can think it's hers! ;) - don't tell the Mrs. :)

I have been trying out this list this week, played it twice. I ran into Grey Knights, and Star cannon loving Eldar with it... lol! I do think the guy who wrote the article is spot on about a bunch of things though. Interesting read for a person wanting to play a Sang Guard list though.

http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2010/09/sanguinary-guard-oh-my/

I have been trying out this list this week, played it twice. I ran into Grey Knights, and Star cannon loving Eldar with it... lol! I do think the guy who wrote the article is spot on about a bunch of things though. Interesting read for a person wanting to play a Sang Guard list though.

http://yesthetruthhurts.com/2010/09/sanguinary-guard-oh-my/

Makes sense. I worried about the SG not having Invuls and chose to go with 4 SG, 2 HGs (one for Dante and one to do Mephiston's bidding) to handle the AV & MCs & MEQ. I'll add Sternguard or Furioso in a pod, and I can't do BA "Longfangs", so 3 Baals for me.

I have to assume you're in Chicago by your name (MayorDaley) and quote from Da Coach. Where do you play?

I play SWs as well, so I just proxy the MLs, but I can imagine that 3 Baals will pull their weight quite well.

As far as Dante AND Mephiston in the same list... that's just mean! I love it actually, but like I said, I just tried this guy's idea out to get a feel for a Sang-Wing type list.

I really feel against the right list the Sang-Wing is just stooooopid good, but against others is a total waste of time. I really would like to see a fully painted 2k Sang-Wing on the table though.

Cheers

Just for your consideration the banner gives you 4 PW attacks and 1 Power Fist attack at WS 4. If you used the points on a Power Weapon and Infernus/Plasma Pistol for the Priest you gain 50% increase in shooting for a unit and 4 Power weapon attacks at WS 5. I think it is just a bit better value having another fig with PW attacks.

Archived