LPC 2012 Vow: Marius Perdo's Doom Fists

Marius Perdo

I have foolishly vowed to paint a terminator squad and a land raider transport. This is foolish because in the past every time I have tried this a real life family member died and then I failed the Vow because I was too busy shouting at probate people and energy provider call centres. However, to quote Dave Lister, "Everyone is dead" so this time it should go very well. Unless I die, in which case if it goes very quiet on this thread then assume that is the case and cast an eye to eBay as the missus will probably be selling all my 40K stuff :)

Obstensibly this is just a normal five man termie squad and a land raider, but if things go well I may add more as I have no idea how fast it will go with an air brush. My painting desk is officially "a mess", so I bought some new shelves to go above it to store paints & glues etc. So I'll have to put then up first, tidy up, organise, and the be able to sit down to paint.

Okay, first things first, the naughty bit. If you have seen my Doom Fists WIP thread here you will know I had been messing about with mashing up terminator plastic and resin kits, and using Machinepriests bonding studs using Grandt Line rivets technique, to make some unusual terminators to fit in with the general theme of my army.

Responses where encouraging and I like how they look, but what little got done has been sat there gathering dust for over two months. So the naughtiness is I am not quite starting from scratch but no model has been totally built yet so at least I am partly building them and fully painting them.

So, this is where I had gotten up to, and as can be seen lots of detail features (such as brass etch fist symbol, purity seals etc) still need to be added.

gallery_27755_5863_44574.jpg

gallery_27755_5863_43540.jpg

The vaguely alert amongst you will notice there are ten there, not five :P I'll build all ten and then pick a "favourite five" to actually paint. I also have ideas for another termie sergeant so I'll build him as well and decide which I prefer for this Vow.

The five will be named Vrakos (the sergeant), Balza, Koszirt, Kureiya, and Kayalik. These are just my name Craig translated to crag in a few languages, or my name in that language (well, as far as I can work out anyway). I may even do a little background story for each of them, as I have seen some lovely threads like that of late, but don't count on it :)

As for the Land raider..well, I have one of every variant (including a Proteus from Games Day), and I just ordered an Armoured Proteus from Forge World so we'll see which one I use i.e I haven't made my mind up yet :)

Edit 15/02/2012: Title and Topic amended as the FW experimental rules give this tank a transport of only 8 models.

@Asterion Moloc: This is the Imperium brother, one man, one vote. The Emperor be that man, he has the vote :) However, you may have something there. If I build the ten, and anyone is vaguely inetrested, I could get a feel, if not a consensus, for which ones folks might like to see painted. I will end up painting all of them in the end after all, so doing the threads "favourite five" may be the way forward in the short term :P

As an aside I am clearly mad because I had an image in my head of an alternate sergeant.

This alternate sergeant:

gallery_27755_5863_87478.jpg

You know, the one I had already built? Deary me, when I got up from tiling the floor in the laundry room earlier today and smashed my head into the corner of the boiler cabinet I clearly did more damage than I thought :)

So to thank Asterion Moloc for this idea the Land Raider will defenitely be an Armoured Proteus*.

As for background, I will start with these guys being the 1st squad of the 1st Company, 1st and best, the Pugnus Irae, the Fists of Wrath. I blame Sarah/Pyroriffic for the Talriktug in The Pact causing all this :)

*this of course means it won't turn up in time, will be a mangled mess when it does, or any number unpleasant "Doom" type negativity will beset and plague it ^_^

Given that you'd had a hit on the head I'll pardon you attributing one of Holly's quotes to Lister.

I've not seen a Proteus outside of Forge World's websites so I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with yours. Are the Doom Fists scions of Dorn?

@Grimdarkness/Olisredan/Molloch: Ta brothers, hopefully everything else on them will turn out as well as the kernel of promise they seem to show. As I am involved probably not :(

@Res Ipsa Loquitur: I am a bit muddled at the moment, I have been concussed before in life and this certainly feels similar although I feel a lot better tonight than I did yesterday or today. Thus mangling Red Dwarf quotes :( Although in fairness it is actual real dead people so accuracy quotes, and pardoning thereof, are of course meaningless and irrelevant to the sane, which pretty excludes a lot of people on here ;) In the DIY background I am writing the Doom Fists are 23rd Founding (alongside the Marines Errant, Steel Cobras, Imperial Harbingers amongst several others). Like many of that founding they are a crusade based fleet and my signature is a cut down of their Articles of Foundation (and Chapter battle-cry). Their immediate forebears are the Praetors of Orpheus so their geneseed antecedence is Ultramarines lineage. Just mixing and matching concepts I like from the FW Badab books (I do so love those books for ideas fodder).

Today I acheived nothing as handling power tools to put the shelving up was out of the question as I have hurt myself enough with DIY as is. However I will tidy up the painting desk prior to shelving tomorrow (assuming the dizziness and nausea have passed) and I will dig out all my FW brass etch, purity seals, and other plastic embellishments tonight and have a think about what will go where. I'll probably print the pictures of them and scribble on that in pencil for placing ideas.

My FW order shows as acknowledged and an e-mail today says it will be split. Presumably everything miniature based in the first one and the Doom of Mymeara in the second one on the 23/01. As the kit looks quite similar I think I'll dig my Proteus from Games Day out of it's bag and have a think about how it goes together, and what sequence I'll paint the parts in and what embellishments I'll add, as preparatory work for the armoured one. As the order was over £250 it is free UPS so I expect the Armoured Proteus before Friday really, probably Wednesday given how fast I usually find FW are on larger orders. Looking forward to seeing the Predator Deimos and Contemptor autocannons up close too.

be aware that "oops" suck.. assume your package will be forgotten about, then delivered late by somebody who thinks handle with care means throw it at stuff..

i expect paint soon.. all this delay and talk of head wounds is just another way of saying "heresy!" imho :(

Well Lorenzen must be hooked into some high level clearance data-grid at FW that I don't know about because the FW order has been showing as "Awaiting packing" for over two days now. Outrageous, don't they know who I am! :huh:

Well, no update beyond I didn't get any drilling done as some agents* chased me up about work so I was doing amended CVs etc. All out of the way now, I'll either get an interview(s) or I won't. However the drill is in the room, it is charged, and the shelving will go up first thing so I can get all the stuff I cleared away off the floor before I stand on something precious.

However Brother Argos pointed out on my main DF thread that I haven't really given any indication about what I will do with basing. I'll be honest I found his post a wee bit cryptic but I guess I was being singularly dense as Lorenzen seemed to know exactly what he meant and translated it into numptyese for me daft self :o

Gist seems to be I'd best be making as much effort on the basing quailty and make it complimentary, otherwise what is the point of pulling out all the stops on converting and painting the models? A point well made.

I think I'll go for a sort of on the edge of a ruined hive city with the ash wastes poring in, so I can have scree, rubble, bits of buildings, occasional pipes (guitar wire) and metal that is all rusted up. Also big bits of plascrete for them to stand on. This will make any weathering powders I use the dust from the ruined landscape they created and are fighting in. So possiby some scorching and carbonising to give it that freshly fought in and trashed feel.

Heresy and excuses proffered as reasons aside I am NOT going to rush these. I thought long and hard about how fast I could do them and how I could then do more, then realised I should really try and do them as best I can, something I have never really tried before. This means precise construction, no mould lines, total filling and filing, sculpting bits, and then the same again for these theoretical bases I have committed to. And then painting :)

Slow but steady I think, I have until the 31/03/2012 so I think I'll use the time to it's fullest rather than banging them out. It isn't as if I actually play very much, and when I do I don't use standard termie squads anyway (we'll see if 6th edition changes that :tu:)

*recruitment agents, not cool super-agents or anything interesting like that...alas :lol:

Edit: I just looked at Brother Argos' Iron Hands WIP thread, specifically the basing, here. I now get what he means completely, having thematically tied bases that contrast and/or compliment with the main paint scheme. I am sticking with the "we are in the outskirts of your city trashing you and it" concept, so lots of war films/series will be watched in the background tomorrow to get ideas. Besides obvious greys for ferrocrete, rusted metal bits, rust and oil streaks, carbonisation etc I do think Graveyard Earth will feature prominently as sort of blasted earth.

Well this:

gallery_27755_5863_59851.jpg

became the unmanageable mess that was this:

gallery_27755_5863_234708.jpg

which with some shelving added is now this:

gallery_27755_5863_206033.jpg

Although small you can probably see the latest termie I am pondering as mentioned on the main DF thread (the studded left shoulder one), and the FW order arrived so that is the Armoured Proteus about to undergo an imminent parts all present and quailty control check.

What this means is where there was once chaos there is now order, so final build of miniatures should be well underway tomorrow which means possiby some paint this week. Shock horror!

Beavering away today preparing the Armoured Proteus for construction. Noticed some things that people might want a heads up on regards this kit.

1) The doors on the rear of the sponsons are actually Rhino doors so if you order any Chapter specific/Aquila doors for this get Rhino ones.

2) There is no commander figure with it, so you have to build your own out of the plastic sprue one with various FW bits if you like the look of the one shown at FW.

3) The tracks have lots of injection sprues attached so care must be taken to ensure the round link parts don't snap off when removing these, if they do you'll need to fashion replacements, for which I am using plastic rod cut to size.

4) With no assault ramp, the angle of the side entry doors, and no internal detail, there isn't much point doing interior detail (not that I ever do).

So, in between stripping stuff, going to the solicitors and accountants etc I fiddled with two more termies.

gallery_27755_5863_199736.jpg

The front one is just going to be studded left shoulder and left shin as stated previously. The one behind is going to be bionic left arm holding a storm bolter (FW Carab Culln arm/bionic arm hybrid) and power first right arm using the FW claw like PF mixed with a lightning claw.

I also considered bases.

gallery_27755_5863_61433.jpg

The four on the right where limited edition resin ones when Cityfight first came out, the two on the left are FW. I'll be looking to create bases in this style, thus all the building bits on the far right from which the limited edition Cityfight resin pretty much used as templates for their formative bitz. I like them so I'll be using them as a basis for a themed set of bases for my army. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that those xenos filth, the Mysterons, started showing an interest in my efforts :)

This was all going splendidly until the post man arrived with something four days early...

gallery_27755_5863_143395.jpg

Project temporarily derailed, at least until I have read/drooled over the new book :)

Looks good. Seems like you have a fair bit on your plate. :P

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that those xenos filth, the Mysterons, started showing an interest in my efforts

Took me a second, but I've spotted 'em. ^_^

@Olisredan: It isn't as bad as it looks, the plate is not that big ;) Basically I am only doing 5 termies and the armoured Proteus for the Vow. Thus I only have to do five bases and I have more than that scenic ones pre-fabbed so to speak. When I get those two termies built, along with some others I had done, I'll have 3 five man squads with a heavy weapon each. I also dug out the LR Proteus I bought at Gamesday, as well as a MKIIB pre-Heresy one I got from FW...erm (checks e-mails) 18/09/2010.

It is just a case of deciding which five I will use, but I think the Tyberios based sergeant is a given, as is the assault cannon with MKI termie head. I'll build the others to basic level before selecting the other three, and then go overboard with brass etch eagles/fists, purity seals etc. Then I'll look at which bases they go on "best", which is going to be subjective to say the least.

Having looked at the bases I think I'll bore out the actual 40mm bases centres, to have a ring, and then place them in the recess and fill in the gaps, otherwise the figure might end up standing too tall and looming far too much (fine for characters models, a bit much for the rank and file). It should also make them a bit heavier which will be useful should I ever actually get around to using them in anger.

Edit: Something I keep meaning to mention that is tangentally related is MKI termies. Obviously I am mashing the plastic GW kit with FW shoulder pads and Tyberios kits, and Grandt Line rivets as bonding studs in the Machinepriest style. However at the Gamesday FW seminar Tony Cottrell asked us all if we would like to see earlier marks of termie armours done by FW as bits. As you can imagine a forest of hands went up and there was much rejoicing. So who knows, by this time next year this sort of thing could be a lot more common and a bit less expensive :)

I have done a couple of left handed storm bolter guys. Seemed like a good excuse to try and do an earlier type of powerfist, for which I used the FW resin ones from the upgrade pack.

gallery_27755_5863_127315.jpg

Note these are just a dry run using blu-tac to hold them together. Lots of finessing to do, regards missing gun grips, aligning power cables, ensuring angles are just right, increase the bore on the guns barrels etc.

gallery_27755_5863_160147.jpg

In the image above I finally sorted a bonding studded shoulder pad replacement for a crux using Grandt Line rivets as studs (in a sort of MKV/VI style), with a suitable crux being present on the right shin of the legs. Partly visible on the marine on the left.

gallery_27755_5863_210702.jpg

They need a lot of work obviously but I think they show promise. For a third squad of five all I need to to is build another sergeant, and finish off a heavy weapon termie and a termie carrying a chainfist. Then I just have to decide which five I like best and make them the squad to completely build and paint.

So sitting down with my bits and pondering the sergeant and whether or not to do a left handed assault cannon. I am sure I saw an excellent one on here somewhere.

Going to do one all the way through as a test. Doing him in bits so undercoating the parts below seperately. Also decided to try a more scenic base for once.

gallery_27755_5863_294813.jpg

Dry Fitted.

gallery_27755_5863_53387.jpg

gallery_27755_5863_82209.jpg

gallery_27755_5863_94294.jpg

gallery_27755_5863_120809.jpg

The arms will fit better when painted and finally glue in place. Can't keep the pressure on whilst taking pics :)

I pinned the head to paint the veteran white seperately :P

Did a fair bit of work on the base and the base coat for the termie. Got this so far.

gallery_27755_5863_62060.jpg

Fiddling with all sorts of new things, such as scenic bases, multi-parts to paint, battle damage, weathering powders for rust effects etc.

The shoulders will be red. The chest eagle, the brass etch fists, brass etch eagle will be white. Gun case black with a red stripe. White skull transfer on the powerfist and white crux transfer on the back plate. Lenses will be some sort of blue and a Rotting Flesh edging highlight for the armour to brighten it. I'll probably go for a bone coloured shoulder crux, and any metal ones will be dark brass. He should end up with a colour scheme like this:

gallery_27755_5863_46216.jpg

I pinned the head to paint the veteran white seperately ;)

Ah. Method to the madness. :)

gallery_27755_5863_46216.jpg

Can we see the front of this guy? Judging by the legs the stock model was the power maul veteran, ergo he's a conversion. Show us! :P

@Olisredan: I already did, over at my main Doom Fists blog, ages ago :lol: Posts 13, 18, 19, and 21. He is being rebuilt as I was unhappy with the build as he was rushed.

Done a fair bit more highlighting today on the test termie for the Vow. Light has been atrocious all day so I'll probably stop for now, and it kind of makes any photos pointless as well. I might work on deciding which five I'll use for the Vow, and maybe work out what I'll use on their bases.

Regardless the test has been very useful for planning the use of new (to me) techniques, the sequence to carry things out in, and planning bulk spraying. Doing just one has been a tedious time sink in terms of cleaning kit. I knew it would be when doing just one test mini, but it still felt so horribly inefficient.

As an aside I tidied up some old minis on Saturday morning and found some RTB01 marines, and some 2nd edition plastics and metal marines (the first metal Mk VIIs) from the old Stike Force box set. I obviously have loads of 3rd edition plastic marines, as well as some BoM 4th edition plastics, as well as my 5th edition AoBR.

Then WD 386 arrived on Saturday afternoon and mentioned Kantor's Glorious 25. This made me think of doing some mixed CF squads using the old minis, plus some FW Mk VI with the FW missile launcher and flamer that might be a suitable homage. I have plenty of Fists based icononography and some FW CF transfers, so it seems likely.

So much for staying focused on one project...but 25 year anniversaries only come around..erm, every quarter of a century or so :rolleyes:

Archived