Kit bash Dreadnought Assault Cannon

UltraRich

With all the work Ive been doing on dreadnoughts recently I pulled out all my dreadnought bits and found this old arm that I never finished.

I had a play today with a few new bits and it doesnt look half bad (IMO)

Its all tacked together at the moment and needs detailing but what do you think

This is the look Im going for

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_2001.jpg

Heres the bigger version

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1995.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_1999.jpg

Awesome! I can clearly see this becoming a staple B&C next big thing. Just one thing I've always wondered though- why don't the barrels on this thing reach to the back of the gun like they should? The only thing such a configuration would achieve would be a gun with a revolving barrel mid-section, which really is no improvement over gluing a bunch of blackpowder pistols together and calling it a day. So maybe you'd consider elongating the barrels, as in the termie assault cannon? And the ammo belt could reach to a canister behind him like on the space wolves terminators? Just suggestions- I already see You're thinking in "spectacular", You could supercharge it to epic :)

Awesome! I can clearly see this becoming a staple B&C next big thing. Just one thing I've always wondered though- why don't the barrels on this thing reach to the back of the gun like they should? The only thing such a configuration would achieve would be a gun with a revolving barrel mid-section, which really is no improvement over gluing a bunch of blackpowder pistols together and calling it a day. So maybe you'd consider elongating the barrels, as in the termie assault cannon? And the ammo belt could reach to a canister behind him like on the space wolves terminators? Just suggestions- I already see You're thinking in "spectacular", You could supercharge it to epic :tu:

Totally second the ammo belt feed to the back.

Just one thing I've always wondered though- why don't the barrels on this thing reach to the back of the gun like they should? The only thing such a configuration would achieve would be a gun with a revolving barrel mid-section, which really is no improvement over gluing a bunch of blackpowder pistols together and calling it a day. So maybe you'd consider elongating the barrels, as in the termie assault cannon?

Don't gatling guns work that way though? Single fire point, single exit point, multiple revolving barrels to permit cooling (which allows increased fire rate). Although I'm no gun expert, maybe I've got the specifics wrong.

I think it looks awsome as is, with the ammo drum attached to the gun.

Just one thing I've always wondered though- why don't the barrels on this thing reach to the back of the gun like they should? The only thing such a configuration would achieve would be a gun with a revolving barrel mid-section, which really is no improvement over gluing a bunch of blackpowder pistols together and calling it a day. So maybe you'd consider elongating the barrels, as in the termie assault cannon?

Don't gatling guns work that way though? Single fire point, single exit point, multiple revolving barrels to permit cooling (which allows increased fire rate). Although I'm no gun expert, maybe I've got the specifics wrong.

That's the exact reason that Dr. Gatling invented the weapon, to increase fire rate WELL beyond what the current weaponry of the day could accomplish (well, that AND he thought that having weaponry that was so devastating would make war become obsolete, although he didn't count on how much humans like killing each other). To keep the barrels from melting he made it so they rotated and had time to cool.

That is awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

On Gatling guns. Modern Gatling guns do not have a stationary exit point. That would defeat the purpose of the cooling barrels as the little bit of metal at the end of the gun would just melt. And I am not sure but modern guns may actually have chambers in each barrel so that you don't have the same problem at the other end. GW may have preferred the aesthetics of the older guns I guess. Because it's not really practical at extreme rates of fire with only part of the barrel assembly rotating, while your barrel tip and firing chamber melt into slag. Or the guns fire a LOT slower than modern guns.

To my knowledge of the inner working of a gatling guns, there is one firing point. The mechanisms of GM made gatling guns have it to where the bullet is being slid into firing position while rotating to the firing position and is being extracted while rotating away. So if you have 6 barrels at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 o'clock, the barrels will fire in only at the 6 or 12 o'clock position and never at the others.

If I were to have designed the SM assault cannon, that one singular point extending beyond the barrels would be a flash suppressor or mussel break and not anything small enough to rub the thousands of rounds leaving out of it.

That is awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

On Gatling guns. Modern Gatling guns do not have a stationary exit point. That would defeat the purpose of the cooling barrels as the little bit of metal at the end of the gun would just melt. And I am not sure but modern guns may actually have chambers in each barrel so that you don't have the same problem at the other end. GW may have preferred the aesthetics of the older guns I guess. Because it's not really practical at extreme rates of fire with only part of the barrel assembly rotating, while your barrel tip and firing chamber melt into slag. Or the guns fire a LOT slower than modern guns.

As someone who spent two years in the US Army crewing a 20mm Vulcan air-defense cannon I can tell you unequivocally that DerekLee688 has the right of how modern Gatling guns work. One feed mechanism, one firing chamber, one barrel in-line during the moment of fire. Then it rotates out of the way for cooling.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/vulcan04.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan

One feed mechanism, one firing chamber, one barrel in-line during the moment of fire. Then it rotates out of the way for cooling.

Thanks- it's good to get clarification like that from someone with actual practice. But my question is HOW are the barrels on the dread AC supposed to rotate, when they clearly can't reach any mechanism that would do so. Unless a superconducting flywheel comes into play.

One feed mechanism, one firing chamber, one barrel in-line during the moment of fire. Then it rotates out of the way for cooling.

Thanks- it's good to get clarification like that from someone with actual practice. But my question is HOW are the barrels on the dread AC supposed to rotate, when they clearly can't reach any mechanism that would do so. Unless a superconducting flywheel comes into play.

Well, there is a protrusion above the flash suppressor, it could be one end of a central drive shaft that all the barrels rotate around. The barrels are all tethered together at both ends by the hexagonal-looking bits. The central shaft looks like it goes into a larger, round housing at the mechanical end, which could be a large motor.

Just found this out from imperial armour vol 4

The assault cannon barrel is made from a temperedceramite alloy which is resistant to the heat generated by the fast spinning motor and the wear of the thousands of shells being fired. despite their heat resistance the barrels are disposable and ususally requires them to be replaced after each mission.

Love this, did the same thing for my DK, and always wanted to do it on a regular Dread but could never make it work so, yeah, good job!

And regards the Mechanism of an AC, motor in the housing (cooling vanes can be seen on the outside of the arm housing) spins the Barrel cluster around the central drive shaft ( and by that I mean the shaft is attached to the cluster, all one unit), held by the locking nuts above the muzzle, so on re reading the post, exactly what dswanick said.

Still great job though!

Wow, thats a lot of replies. Thanks for all the support.

And if I ever get a question about a Gatling gun in a pub quiz Im sorted!

I'll be updating this later this week after a couple of nights away with work so watch this space.

And the parts list is

Venerable dread Assult cannon

AOBR left arm

Ironclad dread rocket launchers

Dreadnought power pack with the chimney and centre panel removed

Plasti card

Where did you get the AdMech skull on the cannon arm? Or did you make it from card?

The Dreadnought powerpack that I chopped up for the ammo pod had the logo on it.

I used a new stanley knife to shave the skull off and then stuck it on.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I wrote. I was NOT saying every barrel fires at once. I was trying to convey that there is no stationary 'flash supressor' at the end of the guns. The chamber thing was me simply guessing. However I did find this which, if accurate, actually means I had it right about the chambers.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I wrote. I was NOT saying every barrel fires at once. I was trying to convey that there is no stationary 'flash supressor' at the end of the guns. The chamber thing was me simply guessing. However I did find this which, if accurate, actually means I had it right about the chambers.

Nice find on the animation. As for the other - I guess I just mis-understood you. My apologies. The animation does a very good job of representing how we both tried to textually describe a Gatling-type gun's operation. :)

Archived