Black Templar Chaplain

Araziel

Last night, I kitbashed this Templar Chaplain using the following parts;

Head - CSM "Tactical" sprue. The skull head.

Torso - Templar sprue.

Left arm/powersword - Templar sprue.

Right arm - Blood Angel Death Company sprue (held a bolt pistol).

Right hand - SM Tactical Command sprue (poweraxe hand).

Crozius - Poweraxe haft, skull ornamentation - Khorne Berzerker sprue (chain cut off).

Backpack - Templar sprue.

Legs - running Blood Angels Death Company sprue.

Purity seals - various sources (SM sprue, Templar sprue + GK sprue).

Iron Halo - metal SM Terminator Chaplain.

Skull on spike (base) - CSM "Tactical" sprue.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6679573473_8f96436285.jpg

DSC_0032 by Araziel 619, on Flickr

I've wanted to build a custom Chaplain for a while, and after just finishing a re-read of Helsreach the other day, decided I would finally do just that.

I still need to fix some wings to the Crozius to form the "hammer" shape, and I'm thinking of using the Aquila from the SM Rhino kit.

Opinions?

Nice kitbash, brother. Interested in seeing the completed thing. :eek

My opinion is to use the overhanging aquila heads from the scenery sets GW make. Although that might be utterly impractical, I'd thought to throw it out there. :D

My opinion is to use the overhanging aquila heads from the scenery sets GW make.

Would you be referring to the massive things that hang off the sides of the buildings? ;)

That could work. I have a couple in my bitz box so I'll try cutting a pair down so I'm using just the Eagle heads poking out from the sides.

You may be on to something there!

On another note - does anyone else apart from me think I should build a "Chaplain-Initiate Command Squad" for him?

If this doesn't make much sense;

A high ranking Chaplain accompanying a squad of select few promising Chaplain-Aspirants into the theatre of war, where he guides them under the duties of the Chaplain (administering the Emperor's Mercy, learning the rites etc..) and carry his standard.

How does that sound?

My opinion is to use the overhanging aquila heads from the scenery sets GW make.

Would you be referring to the massive things that hang off the sides of the buildings? :huh:

Yes, brother. :)

On another note - does anyone else apart from me think I should build a "Chaplain-Initiate Command Squad" for him?

I remember trying the idea for 'junior' chaplains years ago - decent idea but it didn't fit my diy chapter. Thing is I tried to have them as a replacement for veteran sergeants - it was a bit pointless, really. ;)

Anyhoo, I'd suggest not giving these initiates skull helms, if you do this. The result would be a bit off and (I take it) they aren't full chaplains yet. :)

I'll definitely be looking into this idea, as while looking through bitz I though of a way of incorporating both idea's - being the Imperial eagle from the Rhino kit, and the Aquila piece from the Cities of Death kits. Watch this space! (May take a while, I don't think I have any Rhino Aquila's left, and can't seem to find my bank card to buy one from eBay. But it will happen!)

Anyhoo, I'd suggest not giving these initiates skull helms, if you do this.

I'd already been thinking about that. I think if I used skull helms for all of them, it would just turn into a game of "spot the REAL Chaplain" ;)

What do you think about using Dark Angel Veteran robes? It sets them apart from the Initiates, and keeps some of the look of the Chaplain order.

I'm not sure how I'd arm them, though. I would say they'd all get Crozius mauls, but I'm unsure as to if they would be given one of them until they were promoted into a full-blooded Chaplain or not.

The only other way I can see is to use The Legion of the Damned squad as a basis, and Templar-ify them.

You can also source wings from the various Dark Angels bits like the Ravenwing set which seems to be everywhere. Of course where does it say that a crozius has to have wings? It's a type of mace so why not make it look like a mediaeval mace. You could then just use plasticard or similar and do it yourself.

http://nz.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0uD0p2A1PI...circa-1500.html

Again, very true. I am, however, looking at making him a "typical", GW artwork themed Crozius hammer.

Like I said, I made this guy just after reading Helsreach, which is heavy on the Black Templar Chaplain lore. I'm also a fan of the Imperial Eagle insignia being used on my loyalist Space Marines. Having had both loyalist and currently building a Death Guard CSM force (found elsewhere as a WIP blog in my sig.), I'm taking some time out from Chaos guys - so I'll be using lots and lots of Eagle wings, purity seals etc.

Basically, I want him to be covered in golden bling. :o

I appreciate the input though, and I'm definitely going to be having a look at the Dark Angel sprue.

On a related note, what is the general consensus towards giving him a cloak? It would help add movement to the piece, and make him stand out further from the rank and file.

EDIT -

I feel I should point out that I don't have a Black Templar army... yet. I have a load of idea's for things in my head for various conversions for different armies - weather they be loyalist or traitor - but I'm always afraid to build them as this nearly always results in me wanting an army. So watch this space...

As said before by Nephren-ka, robes would fit in very well. I see Templars using the DA robes working nicely.

Do the emperor's champion first - you'll want to give him the best bitz you have. ;)

The build is now complete. I just need to shave off a couple of mould lines etc., and I'll start painting him. Anyway - I now present;

Uriel, Master of Sanctity of the Black Templars

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6715201025_a25848ec02.jpg

DSC_0003 by Araziel 619, on Flickr

I made the Crozius by using the Eagle overhang piece from the Cities of Death kit, and two SM Rhino Eagle icon's fixed to the SM Poweraxe from the Assault squad kit.

Here's another shot showing the Crozius from a better angle;

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6715189629_ef56f86347.jpg

DSC_0002 by Araziel 619, on Flickr

Overall, I'm very happy with this kitbash. What are you're opinions?

Kassil - thanks :)

I have a suggestion - have you tried mounting the wings side-on so that it looks like a winged hammer? I think it'd look better with a sleeker profile. :)

It may be a little late for that, as the wings are pretty stuck on with superglue! I'll bear that in mind if I make another though.

Archived