Are bikes worth it?

AyanamiKun

I am currently in the process of expanding my army and I might get some bikes to do that. Is an HQ with a bodyguard unit on bikes worth it? Or are bikes not really that great in the vanilla codex?

I would plan to either use a captain with command squad on bikes (quite expensive because of the bikes though ...) or to use the captain with a bike squad as standard selection (5 bikes + 1 attack bike with multimelter). I would use them as a quick reaction unit because they are quite tough and are scoring :)

What are your thoughts or recommendations?

PS: Cheapest way to get bikes is the Ravenwing DA box, right? I have use for the Land Speeder in there, too :lol:

I hear tell that a bike Command squad is one of nastier combat units in the Marine Codex. T5 paired with FnP and some 3++ saves given through storm shields can be hard to shift, and with lightning claws, a fist and of course a relic blade Captain they'll be able to dish out hurt. They're also able to rapid fire before assaulting and have a rather large radius, 18".

On the other hand low AP wounds hurt them, especially as they're so expensive, and they still don't get FnP from krak missiles even though they're on bikes. They're also expensive, did I mention that, and will likely be a priority target. They also can't go up floors in buildings, so even a lowly Scout squad can hide from them by jumping up a floor.

But as I've said, widely recognised as a CC threat in the Marine Codex. Equip with some storm shields, some lightning claws and a fist, if you do it right you can get wound allocation tricks. Bike Captain with relic blade, artificer armour and/or storm shield, and points permitting hellfire rounds and/or digi weapons.

And yes, Ravenwing battleforce is the best way, as it gives you the normal sprue and an upgrade sprue, and you get a Speeder with options for heavy bolter, assault cannon and Typhoon missile launcher IIRC (so Typhoon then ;)). You will need to source the Narthecium for the Apothecary though, plus all the upgrades, so the Command squad box may also be a good buy if you want to do the Command squad.

Thanks ;) That is exactly what I was planning to do, yeah. I might proxy the Apothecary at first until I know if I want to run a Command Squad on bikes or if I want to try a normal bike squad ^^

And yes, I want the Typhoon ;)

I wouldn't play a Vanilla Marine list without a Captain on a Bike with a scoring squad of Bikes, though I only generally take one squad. It's one of the few ways to be competitive with the newer codexes. (The Thunderfire Cannon is another).

1) A captain on a bike, by himself has T5 against most attacks, making him more survivable than other troops. He benefits from Hellfire rounds by having twin-linked and relentless, allowing you to take advantage of his BS.

2) Bikes as scoring troops can advance more quickly than other troops, also benefit from relentless and having twin linked basic weapons, a true heavy weapon in the squad (that is relentless), TWO special weapons, and the T5 against basic shooting.

4) Shooting plus assaulting, they're better than assault squads with equivalent squad strength. Pure shooting, they're dramatically better than a tactical squad and with nearly the firepower against most targets as some devastator squad loadouts.

3) The price drawback (which most people complain about when they say they don't like bikes) is offset to a large extent by not needing to buy a transport for mobility, though you still pay a premium equivalent to a Marine or two.

4) Actual drawbacks in play are a vulnerability to terrain, an inability to change levels in buildings and a large squad footprint (which is sometimes a blessing depending on how you deploy them. These are largely offset by awesome movement capabilities and the capabilities above.

If you want to do a "Beatdown command squad", I strongly suggest using hammernators and a Land Raider Crusader instead. Stick with the bikes as troops.

The Ravenwing box is the least expensive way to acquire bikes, but you're going to suffer from having no special weapons at all in the package. You'll have to get those bits from elsewhere.

Thanks warp angel! I have more than enough special weapons around :woot: I guess for now I will build the bikes as a tactical squad with magnetized heads to swap them out for veteran helmets if I want to proxy a command squad :yes:

Just ordered the box, looking forward to it!

Well it doesn't matter if Nurgly bikes are cost effective or not, I was just sayin' that they (bikes in particular) do very well for me.

Not just talking about the toughness, most of the times it doesnt matter if they are 5 or 6! It's their special rules that really sell them for me. A turboboost to chase/get away from threats is too good to pass up!

• 3 weeks later...

My bikes have arrived and I am in the process of assembling them :( I decided to use 6 magnets per bike (legs/torso, 2x arm/torso) so that I am able to exchange everything from weapons to the model itself (i.e. switch normal marine to Captain or to Apothecary) =)

I plan to make them switchable between three basic configurations for now.

Config 1

Captain with Command Squad

Config 2

Captain with Bike Squad (5 Marines) (+Trike)

Config 3

Bike Squad (6 Marines) (+Trike)

With this and the switchable arms I should be able to cover everything I think.

Thanks. I am mostly leaning towards flamers right now, but I just prepared 6 weapon arms with magnets now (2x flamer, 2x melta, 2x plasma gun) ^^

And great tacticas Warp Angel! Just read through some of them today, wow :) Especially Killhammer might help me a lot!

Archived