Ash Dragons. Madness.

Asrech

Well, did a quick inventory of what I have today at the local store. And by quick I'm talking about 6 hour set up time, 1,5 hours to pack away.

Only a fraction of this is actually painted, but everything has been stripped (as far as it will get), so some repair work on a lot of models (missing arms etc) and they're good for primer.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0369.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0365.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0363.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0364.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0368.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/IMG_0366.jpg

765 Infantry ( and there are about another 70ish infantry still in pieces )

A quick summary (lowballing it) brings it to about 34.000 points.

Now in actual squad-by-squad points, it will probably be about 40.000 points.

It's not a full chapter, but I'm getting there!

What can I say, I'm a little insane.

Asrech

By the Emperors danglies!!!! thats a whole lot of army there. very impressive, i only feel for you having to go through and paint it all. Best of luck for that. I notice some you have left painted- are these Mentor legion or pre heresy death guard.

Cheers guys!

I've been collecting for about 8 or so years, and probably 80% is second hand bought. I love getting used stuff, as you can get it dirt cheap, stripp the paint off, and you're good to go!

I do feel my sanity starting to slip when I think about how long it will take me to paint it all, but I recond that in 5 years I should have made a dent in it!

My first scheme was dark blue, with black shoulders, my second was white and green (with the white painted with gryphon sephia), all the sephia came off in stripping, so that's why they look white. The black and green will be the final scheme for the chapter.

I have the termie comp, the scout comp, as well as the assault comp. Still needed are another 500 bolter marines, devastators, predators and a ton of transports.

With school, work and life in general, even if I get a squad done every second week... there are about 260 marines in just tactical squads + 100 assault marines, 150 devs etc etc. So even with fast painting, it will take forever. And I know that there will be weeks on end that I won't have time to touch my paints at all. So yupp, this project will take half an eternity. But it will be done!

Calgar 101, what was the biggest? And are there pictures? Would be awesome to see!

The biggest? My army of course haha. Although not built yet I have at the very least 1300 marines, i have an entire chapter and then extra's added on. I've only got about 15-25% of the men built, the large "to build" pile is rather de-motivating... I do aim to start a WIP at some point...

I know of at least two instances of full chapters in collections (both featured in WD) - one was the Ultramarines a looong time ago which was the studio army, I think, and the other was from a guy in Poland called Artur (I think). I'm not sure which chapter he collected. It might have been Blood Angels.

The plan is a full chapter (with some changes for my own 'view'). I will be doing the Salamander/SW version of great companies, rather than 10 cut'n'pace comp as is the norm.

The big difference in the organization of the Ash Dragons is also that they don't fight as companies, rather they are fitted into task forces bu their chaptermaster. Each force contains what the CM deems needed. So the companies are formed more as Orders (as per a knight order) and work together mainly to train. For fighting the chapter works as a flexible body.

It is the belief of the Ash Dragons that one day Vulkan will return, and when he does they will join with the Salamanders (in a fashion) under their gene-fathers command. So having the mentality of divided companies is set aside, to enhance the feeling of a chapter united under one hand, each squad being able to fight alongside any other squad with no hesitation.

Also it is believed that the brothers will be able to improve their skills further by having companies more oriented towards one goal, so that they can focus on their chosen path completly.

It is not uncommon though for squads to be chosen from the same company when asigned to a mission, so often a mission will have main elements from one comp, with a few support squads from others.

1st Company is pure terminators ( as sallies ), this company only fights by it self if it really hits the fan BIG time. Otherwise they are spread out as support. Aprox 150 man strong.

2nd, 3rd and 4th comp are my tactical companies. The Sternguards are placed in these companies to act as role models, as well as mentors. They drill their less experienced brothers and spurr them to greater heights. Each company is made up of about 250 brothers (inc Sternguard)

2nd Company is the tactical company that mainly focuses on boarding actions and rapid insert that will likely lead to hand-to-hand combat. Often in good humor refered to as the "second assault company".

3rd Company is the Inferno company, they employ flamers and flame type weapons to an even higher degree than the rest of the chapter.

4th Company is the Magma company, favoring the use of melta type weapons. This company trains hard in being the anti-armour fist of the chapter.

5th Company is the Assault company, being made up of the chapters Vanguards, Assault marines and bike squads. The Vanguards act here as the sternguars do for 2-4th company. Even tough in the same company, the assault squads and the bike squads are under different leadership. The company is made up of about 120 assault troops (40 being Vanguards) and 60 bikers ( the captain having a commandsquad).

6th Company is the Devastator company, bringing the heavy weapons to bare in support of their brothers were the fighting will be heaviest. Roughly 160 brothers, fitted with the full range of heavy weapons. A special note, the Ash Dragons tend to have less Lascannons or Plasma cannons, and instead favor the multi-melta, missile launcher or heavy bolter.

7th Company is the Scout company, raw recruits being trained by seasoned veterans untill they are deemed worthy.

Tech Cult.

I also have a sub-group in the chapter, on the pictures you can see a patch of red in the upper left-hand corner, beneath the drop pods. The Ash Dragons homeworld is located next to a major forgeworld, that as Ryza produces a lot of plasma tech. Through the years there has been a conection between Chapter and Frogeworld, the marines protecting the forgeworld, and sending small forces to act as guards for the exploration fleets, searching for STCs.

In return the chapter has been given several gifts from the forgeworld (thus a high number of land raiders etc), and a small cult has sprung up in the chapter. Marines that share the Techmarines view of the Omnissiah, alongside their oath to the Emperor.

This cult has doned the red armour of the techmarines, leaving their helmets, and one shoulderpad in the chapter colours. And strongly favor plasma weaponry.

Numbering rougly 100 marines, the tech cult has a squad of Sternguards, 2 squads of assault marines, 1 squad of bikers, 4 tactical squads and 2 devastator squads.

These marines act mainly as guardians for the forgeworld and their exploration fleets, yet if the Chaptermaster calls, they answer as quickly as any brother.

There you go, a bit of the fluff/reasoning behind the chapter. Some of it I have had in mind since I started with 40k, some has grown over the years, and some might still change. Now I know that the total of the chapter will number over 1k marines, I think my total rounds out at about 1500 all in all (adding command squads, honour guards, chaplains, librarians and techmarines).

I'd love to hear feedback on the background material!

Love the fluff. I too will one day have a company of my own and your fluff just made me think of what I too need to do. My forces are a tad bit smaller with 5 complete companies. 2 of which are painted. Do to my charpters wicked way I'm going to have a small task force of Grey Knights watching my marines very closely. Love the collection.

Archived