Anti-Daemon Tactics

VIIILegionaire.

Over the holidays a buddy of mine got a hold of a Daemons army. I've never played against one before and let me tell you, they have my bamboozled now matter what force I take it seems. He plays mostly a Tzentch/Nurgle list with a large part of his force being monstrous creatures and greater daemons. I was wondering what are some of yalls anti-daemon tactics? I have found so far that a Librarian with null zone has become a standard against them.

Yes, Null Zone is a must. If he's really heavy on Nurgle, I'd also recommend an abundance of plasma weapons -- multiple shots that remove FNP from the Plaguebearers is never a bad thing. Other than that, castle up for deployment to keep him out of your backfield when the deep strikes come in.

Yes, Null Zone is a must. If he's really heavy on Nurgle, I'd also recommend an abundance of plasma weapons -- multiple shots that remove FNP from the Plaguebearers is never a bad thing. Other than that, castle up for deployment to keep him out of your backfield when the deep strikes come in.

What he says really (got ninja'd :lol:). Good luck!

Ludovic

Sternguard work great against the MCs and GD because you will be able to do alot of wounds with Hellfire rounds to they should fail enough wounds to die if not be killed by another unit. They also get to have combis which can be plasma or melta which goes with what was said above.

I know this sounds crazy but Land Raiders do well. I only have ever lost one to Daemons to a Bloodthister and it took four rounds before he wrecked it so the Bloodthister wasn't really a factor in the game anyways.

A couple tips from a guy who plays against Daemons almost monthly (I have several Daemon players at my FLGS):

When deploying, spread out to minimize the available options for the Daemon player. Be sure to deny the ability for the Daemon player to land units in the midst of your battle formation. There is no scatter prevention in the Daemon player's first wave, so many will place models conservatively to avoid deepstrike mishaps.

If the initial wave contains Flamers, you want your infantry either boxed up in transports, or behind your armor line. Tempaltes that wound on 4+ and allow no armor or cover saves are roughif they land close that first turn. If the first wave contains Horrors with a Bolt of Tzeentch, try to keep your essential and heavy armor away from the front line.

Once the Daemons arrive, the phrase of the day is "focus fire". With a Nurgle/Tzeentch army, he'll have solid saves (at least more solid than Khorne and Slaanesh) and Feel No Pain. Point your anti-infantry assets at the Tzeentch units because they have poorer Toughness. Point your AP1 and 2 weapons at anything Nurgle to deny Feel No Pain.

Tzeentch units are chumps in melee, so if you can punch them, do so. Nurgle is far harder to beat without the aid of a lot of power weapons. Units like Command Squads, Honour Guard, and Terminators can carve through Nurgle reliably.

The monsters require a full round of focused fire per turn to destroy. Nurgle Princes almost always have wings and Cloud of Flies, which are defensive grenades. You lose all charging bonuses when you attack them in melee. Bring a large squad with powerfist to put down Nurgle DPs reliably, but be prepared to take heavy losses in return. Tzeentch DPs are also fond of wings (all DPs are), and like to put Bolts into your armor. They have much better invulnerable saves than many DPs, but are the most fragile. They're quick like bunnies, so charging them requires power weapons and ablative wounds.

You'll discover that monobuild Daemon armies, and even duo-builds, tend toplay in a very specific manner. Units from one god do X while the units from the other do Y. Khorne chops you up with power weapons and/or Furious Charge, Slaanesh uses speed and weight of attacks to apply the death of a thousand cuts, Nurgle is poisonous and rock hard durable, and Tzeentch is the shooty element with nice invulnerable saves.

The REALLY dangerous Daemon builds are the ones that dip into every god's units and weave them into a multi-pronged threat.

Also another big thing that can help with deamons is having them go first. so that you don't lose your first shooting phase against them. which is were the daemons tend to be somewhat lacking.

This.

Lso, how to defeat daemons (especially khorne, btw): transports. You can't be charged while you are inside. Stay inside, get MM (or PC) and MG for your Tacticals and fry enemy daemons.

If you are playing with objectives, don't forget tank shocking. Rhinos can kill, see Death Or Glory. 35 points? Can't get enough of those Rhinos (or Razorbacks for 75).

I suppose Power Fist Sarges among your Tacticals isn't a completely bad idea either in case you get dislodged from your cozy transports.

Alex

Archived