An Epic Undertaking

*que epic score*(click on link, then come back to this window)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tB-w8_3a2M

"Behold my brothers, this great and ancient hall. Hallowed it is to our chapter, and all the Imperium. On this planet, the blood of our fallen could have filled all the seas of Fenris. Many heroes fell here, and new ones rose to take their place. This is a testament to their sacrifice, Hallstórrsútjárn, The Great Hall of Sorrow and Iron."

-Böðvarr The Iron-Heart

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/caj007/Hallgrmskirkja-Front-1.jpg

This project will be a massive fortress-temple based off of the cathedral of Hallgrímskirkja, in Reykjavík Iceland. Right now I am in the VERY EARLY planning stages, and I could actually use your help. Right now I'm having a very difficult time finding any drawings, blueprints, or dimensions of Hallgrímskirkja. I can only find the height (assumedly the tower's peak), and I obviously need more than that. If any of you can get a hold of that information and send it my way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Right now at the scale I'm using (I'm not very good with this stuff), 8ft would be 5cm, so it's peak will be 149cm tall on the model.

I found a good picure, almost straight on, when scaffolding was up for repairs. Using the scaffodling I made a grid, and determined the size of the more important part, the tower. The base of the tower is 13.794m wide in real life, and at this scale it will be 27.59cm. Before it comes to the stepped pyramid at its peak it will be 121.68cm tall, and 17cm wide.

I will be modifying the 'body' of the church, I just wanted to get some sort of rough measurement and scale for the tower and 'walls'. Now that I have that, I can move forward in planning.

Its a nice place. I've been inside many aeons ago, and even went up in the tower to take in the view. The inside is very ordinary Nordic style. My Icelandic is very rusty, but I'll try to dig something up and get back to you ;)

Its a nice place. I've been inside many aeons ago, and even went up in the tower to take in the view. The inside is very ordinary Nordic style. My Icelandic is very rusty, but I'll try to dig something up and get back to you :)

Wow, that must have been really cool to see!!! And thank you, I would really appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

Let it begin!!!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo353/caj007/photo54-1.jpg

The material is essentially corrugated cardboard, but is made of plastic instead of paper. The sheet is a little over 8' long by 4' wide. I cut the piece out that is marked in the picture. The edges going at an angle are rough, and were a pain in the butt to cut due to the corrugations. If I can find my hot foam knife, that might work better.

Archived