New BA FAQ posted

JamesI

Makes it clear that Novitiates can not take upgrades, Combat squads can be used when deep striking, Blood Lance does not need to roll to hit

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Custom...anuary_2012.pdf

Also, many other FAQs updated too. (In the main rulebook one it makes it clear that transports moving fast only kill the embarked if destroyed in the same phase)

A lot of the FAQ answers seem to be to sort out the mess made in a previous FAQ which ruled that all psychic shooting attacks need to roll to hit.

My second army is Nids. Lashwhips and the grey knight lances are a laugh-a-million, since they both contradict eachother (Whips say Initiatve 1 no matter what, grey knights say +2 initiative no matter what).

So I'm not surprised that GW hates being consistent in any way. I feel this is a prequel FAQ for the Necron Nightscyth. Then no one can complain.

But now I get to rub this in the local tourney runner's face. He could never understand that combat squading works when a unit is deployed, not during the deployment phase. More Veteran Vanguard all around!

First page of the general rulebook faq. I remember this being discussed a week or two ago, or so. Concerning Seths Ferocious Instincts.

Q: How do dice rolls that can trigger an effect from a special rule (such as rolling a 1 To Hit when shooting a weapon with the Gets Hot! special rule) interact with re-rolls?

A: You only check to see if the effect has been triggered after the re-rolls have been made

First page of the general rulebook faq. I remember this being discussed a week or two ago, or so. Concerning Seths Ferocious Instincts.

Q: How do dice rolls that can trigger an effect from a special rule (such as rolling a 1 To Hit when shooting a weapon with the Gets Hot! special rule) interact with re-rolls?

A: You only check to see if the effect has been triggered after the re-rolls have been made

Yup, we have an official ruling now. But for some reason they picked the example (get's hot!) that already has a clear ruling the in the book. :)

Chaos players really got shafted on warp time and lash. At least they can spam gift of chaos which apparently works different than other powers. :)

Q: When Infiltrating a unit of 10 Space Marines with

the Infiltrate special rule, can both Combat Squads be

deployed in different locations? In addition, does this

still only count as a single deployment? (p23)

A: Yes to both questions

If it only counts as a single deployment a unit of scouts combat squaded in DOW counts as 2 units for deploying but 1 unit for Infiltrating right?

I'm really interested in fleshing out the idea that Dreadnoughts can only 'see' in their 45 degree firing arc and how that applies to Rage USR and DC Dreads.

The FAQ didn't change anything in regards to this, though you did get one example. LoS for vehicles is measured from the weapons and there's no exception in the rule book for walkers.

I'm really interested in fleshing out the idea that Dreadnoughts can only 'see' in their 45 degree firing arc and how that applies to Rage USR and DC Dreads.

The FAQ didn't change anything in regards to this, though you did get one example. LoS for vehicles is measured from the weapons and there's no exception in the rule book for walkers.

So, having to move at full speed towards the closets 'visible' enemy has always been limited to what can be 'seen' in the 45 degree gun arc of the DC Dreads?

So, having to move at full speed towards the closets 'visible' enemy has always been limited to what can be 'seen' in the 45 degree gun arc of the DC Dreads?

Yes, unless you think that visible refers to what the player can see.

I don't know if you can use the C:CSM FAQ as a precedent for Raging Dreads or not. "visible" has different means depending on the phase your in. GW was very good about defining what is visible to a vehicle during the shooting phase. They don't clarify a models vision capabilities as it relates to the movement phase, after all - you don't have to check LoS to your target destination before moving your vehciles. It could be that it remains the same, but it could also be that what is visible to a unit during the shooting phase has absolutely nothing to do with what is in LoS for a particular vehicles weapons.

I don't know if you can use the C:CSM FAQ as a precedent for Raging Dreads or not. "visible" has different means depending on the phase your in. GW was very good about defining what is visible to a vehicle during the shooting phase. They don't clarify a models vision capabilities as it relates to the movement phase, after all - you don't have to check LoS to your target destination before moving your vehciles. It could be that it remains the same, but it could also be that what is visible to a unit during the shooting phase has absolutely nothing to do with what is in LoS for a particular vehicles weapons.

It's the only precedent there is and the LoS in the shooting phase is the only rule you can reasonably go on. Everything else is far into "make sh*t up" territory.

It's the only precedent there is and the LoS in the shooting phase is the only rule you can reasonably go on. Everything else is far into "make sh*t up" territory.

But it's no precedent at all. Rules for the Shooting phase don't apply to the Movement phase.

Question : if your Raging dread has all of its Weapons Destroyed, can it no longer move? If movement requires LoS, how would a vehicle with no weapons move?

ST..D................................................................................LR

ST: Melta Stormtroopers

D: DC Dreadnought (Facing right)

LR: Leman Russ

Basically, my Dreadnought ignores the Stormtroopers taking Melta shots at its back and runs for the Leman Russ?

But it's no precedent at all. Rules for the Shooting phase don't apply to the Movement phase.

Question : if your Raging dread has all of its Weapons Destroyed, can it no longer move? If movement requires LoS, how would a vehicle with no weapons move?

According to the FAQ it does now. Again, what other precedent exists in the rules?

Movement doesn't require LoS, the 'rage' USR just happen to work in the movement phase as well as the other phases.

Weapons destroyed results have no affect on how LoS is measured since you are not required to remove anything from the model. LoS is drawn from the weapon mounting along with the barrel. p72 states that all weapons mounted on walkers are assumed to work like hullmounted weapons with a 45 degree firing arc.

According to the FAQ it does now. Again, what other precedent exists in the rules?

Movement doesn't require LoS, the 'rage' USR just happen to work in the movement phase as well as the other phases.

Weapons destroyed results have no affect on how LoS is measured since you are not required to remove anything from the model. LoS is drawn from the weapon mounting along with the barrel. p72 states that all weapons mounted on walkers are assumed to work like hullmounted weapons with a 45 degree firing arc.

Sadly, I have been reminded many times in the OR forum that one Codex's FAQ can not be used as precedent for another Codex.

Again, no. The FAQ answers a question regarding Chaos Dreadnoughts and how they act in the Shooting phase while under the conditions of Fire Frenzy.

First, you can't use FAQs in one Codex's FAQ to inform a question from another Codex.

Second, your question relates to the Movement phase.

Third, Rage is a completely different rule from Fire Frenzy.

Three strikes, you're out.

OK, so thank you for listing a bunch of ways that the Fire Frenzy and Shooting phase rules are completely dissimilar to Rage and the Movement phase. :lol:

Sadly, I have been reminded many times in the OR forum that one Codex's FAQ can not be used as precedent for another Codex.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that walkers at any time have 360 LoS. It's determined by facing and weapon mountings.

Note that rage works in all phases, would you use different definitions of 'visible' depending on which phase it is?

Nowhere in the rules does it say that walkers at any time have 360 LoS. It's determined by facing and weapon mountings.

That's the problem - the rules don't tell you how to determine this information.

Note that rage works in all phases, would you use different definitions of 'visible' depending on which phase it is?

Why not? There are plenty of rules which work differently depending on the phase they are used. (ie. Emergency Disembarking, ICs and Unit Coherency, ICs and units in Close Combat, etc...)

Why not? There are plenty of rules which work differently depending on the phase they are used. (ie. Emergency Disembarking, ICs and Unit Coherency, ICs and units in Close Combat, etc...)

They only problem in this case is that there is no other specific rules to fall back on.

So do you stick with whats actually in the book or do you make up your own rules?

They only problem in this case is that there is no other specific rules to fall back on.

So do you stick with whats actually in the book or do you make up your own rules?

You stick with what's actually in the book - and in this case LoS for movement ain't in the book.

Archived