what does best support a pod-army?

carnosaur93

so... i plan on doing a mostly drop-pod and likely infiltrating scout army, likely with vulkan as HQ (for the techy feel) if i do not use Bannus' iron hands rules

however i know from a short period of trying out daemons, that all-deepstrike can be very vaulnourable...

so ive been thinking, what would be the most pleasing support units for drop-style? ive been thinking of going all out thunderfire (also for fluff reasons) as theese are nice and cheap sniper units, that grants me some improved cover, and an empty pod. however is this really enough in its own to support such an army in the long run?.. i feel that the army will become very much a glass cannon, being mainly composed of turn 1 drops, and cannons

how about bikes? assault marines/vanguard? deathstar bike command squad with captain? tanks? shrikin' TH/SS-termies?

please keep in mind that we are all pretty much starting out with our armies at my group, so we will likely have to think around the 1000pts mark

ive tried looking for tactics on this quite a while, and read a great drop-poddin tactica on here. but it still seems to be lacking in details of support

if you put some LBs on your alpha strike pods jump pack vangaurd can easily make their HI. especalliy since drop pods are tough enough that the enemy has to use real antitank assists to kill them. which they shouldnt have available since your alpha strike units will be in their face

well. as said i have allready spend quite some time looking in other places... however i do like those two ideas, though, and they could easily be combined. if nothing else, the vanguards can be used to join into CC where most needed when my dropped squads inevetably gets charged, even the enemy knowing that i have those squads at the ready could perhaps make him think twice

A Biker Captain and squad makes for an excellent mobile reserve, thats also scoring to boot....

And Landspeeders. Oh god, landspeeders are possibly the best and some of the fluffiest support for an all Drop list- they provide some excellent heavy weapon and ranged support, boost the lists overall speed, and theyre fairly cheap to boot. I wont leave home without them.

Archived