Raven Guard WIP

demio

Hi all.

My new year's resolution was to actually paint a army.... 8 years in the hobby and I have never come close.

So I decided to do Raven Guard, why? Black and white are 2 colors I have always had problems with and the fluff is awesome.

This is my first WIP thread so please go easy.

First Land Speeder Storm + bolter scouts. (1 more of these to come)

gallery_39558_6876_51658.jpg

Next up my Dread (Have to say this is the best model I have ever worked with)

before=

gallery_39558_6876_1668388.jpg

after=

gallery_39558_6876_298069.jpg

coming next will a Drop Pod and another LSS + Scouts.

Also not part of the 1750 list but will be painted as Ravenguard.

gallery_39558_6876_719112.jpg

gallery_39558_6876_1835525.jpg

Feel free to give me your opinions any help would be great.

Cheers for the great feedback.

I am really looking forward to doing those terminators but it will be a while before they are l done.

That contemptor is glorious. How are the brass etchings to work with? I was considering getting some for my Dark Angels.

As long as you take your time with them it should be fine as they are seriously sharp. There fine for flat surfaces and and some with a bit of a curve but I couldn't get them to work on shoulder pads at all. (If someone knows a trick to this please let me know)

Love the dread, is that a base you can buy or did you use a real eldar titan head?

I made the base. the Eldar titan head is the spare one i got from forgeworld.

Loving these so far, while you say you've always had trouble with black, it looks like you've pretty much nailed it to me!

Sadly the brass etch will never conform correctly to a shoulder pad, though putting them on surfaces curved in only one direction (greaves etc) is fairly simple, the brass bends easier when warm (really, really warm, like left on a hot radiator unpleasant to touch warm).

Loving these so far, while you say you've always had trouble with black, it looks like you've pretty much nailed it to me!

Sadly the brass etch will never conform correctly to a shoulder pad, though putting them on surfaces curved in only one direction (greaves etc) is fairly simple, the brass bends easier when warm (really, really warm, like left on a hot radiator unpleasant to touch warm).

cheers for the tip on the brass etch, gonna try that tonight on the terminators.

Only a small update.

My drop Pod for the Dread, some minor conversion work done.

Major learning point for this is that I will mask the top section up on the next two pod's and spray them white. 15+ layer's of white was not fun to do.

gallery_39558_6876_1793280.jpg

gallery_39558_6876_2673705.jpg

gallery_39558_6876_2852784.jpg

I am please with how this has come out, but with the door's open it feel's a bit plain to me. I couldn't think of any way to make it pop any more then it does as there isn't much model to work with when it's open. Any idea's would be great.

As usual comment away. ;)

Looks good, although I have no suggestions on how to make the Drop Pod pop more. I'm stumped. I agree with the 15+ layers thing. It's bugger to do multiple layers (well, more than four anyways). ;)

love the dread, really striking. are you plalnning on doing more to the base? Also, were you tempted to alter the aquilla to be the chapter symbol?

as for the drop pod - maybe add some symbols to the fins and/or some color to the iside of the pod or doors?

Lhg033

Very nice work.. the colors and wear look great. I'm loving the Contemptor and his drop pod. I got one for the holidays and I love seeing how people are building them. Only thing I'd add to the pod is some hazard strips on the doors, I think the yellow would really make it pop .. keep it up man ! :woot:

Cheers for all the great comments guys, it really is making me want to do more.

I will take your advice on the pod, I have a day off on Monday and will spend the time doing the hazard stripes and will see what you all think.

love the dread, really striking. are you plalnning on doing more to the base? Also, were you tempted to alter the aquilla to be the chapter symbol?

as for the drop pod - maybe add some symbols to the fins and/or some color to the iside of the pod or doors?

Lhg033

To be honest with you normally I would have changed the Aquilla but this project is very much a tabletop standard army so I decided I wouldn't be doing any greenstuff work unless I had to. Anything not included in my 1750 list I can go mad on such as the terminator squad.

I do plan on doing more to the base but for the time being I am content with it and I must say I will be getting more of these Dread's, if you are thinking of getting one everyone. Stop thinking and do it, they are awesome.

Cheers again for the comments guys.

I really like your army, specialy the weathering, the scouts and the contemptor. :(

Your pod is great too, but the eagles on the doors are too clean.

I mean, the white on the upper part is scratched and dirty, the black of the door too, but those eagles look brand new.

Just my 2cts. :)

Archived