Predator load-outs

Slim

generally I reckon AC/Las is the best one for most SM armies, but it depends. An army is the sum of its parts and all those other cliché's.

I'd agree with that. It all depends what you are facing and what else you have in your army. The las sponsons are pricey though.

Cheers

I

Thanks for the replies - I know that the rest of the list makes a difference to what I might take - but I tend to have a fair amount of anti infantry and anti-tank, so just wondered if there was a preferred load-out for the Predator (never even having played against one before)

Thanks for the replies - I know that the rest of the list makes a difference to what I might take - but I tend to have a fair amount of anti infantry and anti-tank, so just wondered if there was a preferred load-out for the Predator (never even having played against one before)

I've only played against them a couple of times and only when I was playing my Tyranids. Both times they were destroyed first or second turn and barely did anything with their shooting against me. They'd probably run much better against a vehicle based army. From the way their stats are set up you can pretty much tell that they're the bane of dedicated transports... well, them and Scarab Swarms lol

The AC is a neat gun, it's essentially two krak grenade shots at -1 S and Ap, and the 48" range is very useful for keeping tanks alive and still able to blast some fools, I wouldn't personally swap it for a lascannon unless I had 30 spare points and I really needed some more anti-tank.

Sponson Heavy Bolters are always a nice addition to fire power, the range is a whole 12" shorter than the AC, but is really useful for destroying squads that are getting a little too close for comfort.

Finally, those Lascannon sponsons, they are pretty pricey, but they ensure your pred can snipe characters and mech from 48" away, which is a whole new level of usefulness.

it really depends on the solidity of your list, whether you've got enough anti infantry/mech how many points you have to spare, and what role you think the Predator will end up playing.

I always like to take at least a pintle storm bolter, no matter what.

I have a pair of tripple las preds. They are usualy pretty under whelming. I would say the best load outs are the dakka pred, 10 shots that can move. Or the tllc hb pred, it can do everything you might ask without getting really expensive.

I like AC/LAS/LAS, it's kinda overkill against most transports and other light vehicles, but there are worse problems you could have than overkill..and it really shines against wave serpents, devilfish, dreddies, and the like.

I'm gutted that my predator is the 2nd ed annihilator with the metal turret. No cheap autocannon option for me. :( It only comes out for Apocalypse battles where it sits in cover and pwnz gargants. :devil:

I'm gutted that my predator is the 2nd ed annihilator with the metal turret. No cheap autocannon option for me. :D It only comes out for Apocalypse battles where it sits in cover and pwnz gargants. :D

Pish posh! That's nothing but a poor man's LRTU!!!... Hehe...actually, I'm in a similar boat...My third edition pred...well, I modeled it as an annihilator...so I haven't fielded it in nearly ten years. It's really too bad that you can't get predator turrets from FW.

A predator should be geared for either anti horde or anti tank, so you take an autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons or a tri lascannon predator.

Not disagreeing in principle...but auto/las/las is antitank. Against a lot of tanks, it's better than a true annihilator. To me, the difference between antitank and anti-horde lies in the sponsons. The autocannon is good for both!

As you are planning to magnetise it you will be able to play around and see what works best for you.

A friend of mine swears by AC/Las with a Hunter Killer but that is normally against my Tau and he seems to win alot :P

I've tried auto/las/las supporting my deathwing only once but it worked very well, providing the anti transport and mech punch that my deathwing so sorely needs. I know other deathwing players that swear by them.

For my ravenwing, at 1750 i'm running a pair of ac/hb/hb. adds some anti horde and anti transport power, as my RW is very effective against tanks (6 multimelta attack bikes, 6 meltagun bikers), but struggles against infantry heavy stuff.

I agonised over this when building my first Pred recently and came down on the AC/Las/Las loadout, as I like having the extra shot which is more than capable of taking on vehicles up to AV13 - which is, let's face it, most of them.

Archived