sterngurd squard

Devilmixer

Yeap. So it really comes down to what kind of armies you face where you play. Do you play against lots of Orks, horde Deamons, horde Eldar? Then this squad would likely serve you very well. If you go against other space marines, necrons, nidzilla... nice knowing you. That said... space marines with heavy flamers are a blast to convert, imo.

My only thought is, is there any reason why the Sgt doesn't have a combi-flamer and a single claw for 10 less points? (maybe even a melta bomb too?)

If the squad is going against things you want to hurt with flamers (which I'm guessing it will be) then that seems the more joined up option.

Two claws does look cooler though.

Can a sternguard sergeant even take dual claws? I thought they could only swap the bolter or pistol.

The problem with the unit is that youre going to get out, flame a load of stuff, and then what you shoot will fall back, and you will not get the charge.

Another problem is that your razor will be moving, as no sensible person will put a horde unit within 6" of that tank - so you move, get out, shoot, and cannot assault, so the priest is pretty pointless. Try a librarian with fear to make doubly sure that horde unit falls back.

The unit seems a bit of a mish mash tbh. You're spending minimum eighty points on cc upgrades to a unit that isn't going to be especially great in assault. As others have said if you're going to be fighting opponents who will be worried by flamers then the claws are a waste, and as you're unlikely to get into combat the priest would be too. You're also reducing the main strength of sternguard which is their special ammo.

For the fewer points I'd take a sergeant with a power fist and bolter, swap the combi flamers for combi-meltas and add an extra man instead of the priest. That way you've got a squad that can handle hordes and vehicles, has options if it gets stuck in combat against high toughness opponents and can still pack a punch at range due to four special issue bolters and the razorback's assault cannon.

Archived