Sanguinius WIP

Gorlak

Hi all!

I just wanted to throw up some pictures before I start painting the model that has kept me busy the last few nights. I've been planning/grappleing with the concept of this model for some time, but never quite saw the right model or combination of parts etc that fitted me ideal. Following a very generous xmas present from my housemate I had an excuse to get started. Here is the current result - Primarch Sanguinius:

SangWIP_01.jpg

(The image above had a blue tint (before I set the white balance) - couldn't be having that! :) )

Finished assembly and green stuff, ready for priming;

SangWIP_02.jpg

SangWIP_03.jpg

SangWIP_04.jpg

And with a black, then white, undercoat;

SangWIP_05.jpg

SangWIP_06.jpg

SangWIP_07.jpg

Any and all critiques, criticisms and comments welcome, or suggestions on where I could take it. I am currently planning white wings, gold armour, red or white cape (probably red, with white trim) and, controversially, black hair!

Cheers all,

H

Awesome. I am myself sitting with the green stuffing of my model for Russ, so it was kinda funny to find another primarch here. =) The model looks nice so far, and I am looking forward to seeing it painted. Were are the wings from?

- Nat

Thanks for the comments all! I'm hoping to get some paint on him this evening and tomorrow morning if I can.

Hey, I am gonna do all primarchs and was going to use that model for my sanguinius

Thats quite an undertaking you're planning! I'd recommend having a look at Kabuki Models 'Knights of Legend' range if you've not already seen them. I'm waiting on their 'not-sanguinius', but it wont be in 2012 by the looks of things...

Quite a classical interpretation of ol' Sangy there. I like it. How'd you do the sword?

Thanks Olisredan! The sword is the stock option supplied with the Scibor Archangel model, against my initial judgements. I looked at making a combination of Sanguinary Guard Glaive and Grey Knight Greatsword but after a bit of work I decided this sword worked for this model.

Am I the only one that can't see any pictures?

Sadly, it looks that way! I've hosted them from a google account - can everyone else see them ok?

The model looks nice so far, and I am looking forward to seeing it painted. Were are the wings from?

Thanks! The wings are from Heresy Miniatures, from The Ascendant kit. I cant recommend Andy enough from there, super helpful.

Good start nice to see the head swap.

Thank you - the original severed head just didn't sit right for me, it seemed to bring the whole model down. The GK one, with a bit of tweaking, seemed to fit better really.

A quick update this morning - got the first base coat of the gold done, without actually using any gold paint! :unsure: That stage will be this evening after the gym hopefully - its a little too copper/brass for me at the moment, needs the richness and yellow's of gold brought into it. Shining Gold and Tin Bitz, I'm looking at you...

Sorry about the photo's angles - they were taken quickly before heading to work. I'll try and improve on them tonight.

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

Next decisions to make are regarding the colours of the various cloaks, tabards and pennants - all the various material draped over him basically. I thought it should be a red cloak, but the two other items I'm not so sure. Red, white or black I'd guess?

Awesome , great start on the painting stage for such a beatiful sculpt, and for the tabard i suggest white/cream.

Waiting for more updates Gorlak :huh:, i will use it as a reference for my own scibor archangel whos wainting on the desk...if you dont mind :P

Thanks for the nice words all, and no problem at all alejandrinus, thats what sharing on here is all about really!.

Here are some quick test images I did for the various cloak parts I was talking about before:

Both White:

IMG_4269.jpg

Black Tabbard only:

SangWIP_08%20%28TbBlk%29.jpg

Black Pennant only:

SangWIP_08%20%28PnBlk%29.jpg

Both Black:

SangWIP_08%20%28BthBlk%29.jpg

What looks good here do you think? I considered using another colour, a turquoise or a purple perhaps, but none sat well for me. Having just flicked through them, I'm still not sure which I like most...

I would be in the both white camp. I like to think of Sangy looking quite angelic, even though he is a beast.

I picked up one of these as well, so I'm very interested to see how it comes out. Btw, where did the wings come from? I like them much better than the originals.

Cheers,

Another quick update after last nights painting - photos are actually worse than last time(!) as I was once again rushing out the door when I took them. I'll use my other lens tonight and try and get some better close-ups etc at this stage.

Gold has had a few more layers with Shining Gold, Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver. I'm fairly happy with where it is now, may well do another pass with Tamiya Titanium gold to get it to really sparkle, but we'll see as other colours get filled in.

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

Regarding the cloth colours, I am feeling maybe a darker red on the tabbard and a white/off-white on the pennant perhaps? I think turquoise will just be too strong on such a large area or sat directly on the red. I do get the point about black not being significant in the pre-heresy colours, but certain details could be black - equivalent to how squad markings and shoulder pad trims are with the 'regular' colour schemes. I agree too much black is unwise though as that gets a bit close to the 'mourning' colours as worn in Horus Rising (on One-Forty-Twenty/Murder).

There should be some more painting time tonight so I might try and get some colour on his wings and head. And maybe some of the gems too.

Bit more work last night - ended up spending more time than I wanted in Photoshop looking at colour options for the robes, still not 100%. Its down to black or an off-white/stone colour for the pennant now.

The wings (the intimidating, intimidating wings...) were started to with a grey wash focused on the different layers of feathers. They will need to be brought back up to white but I'm not really sure how to do this yet! I have a suspision that drybushing will end up looking chalky and thick, but I dont thing painting each strand is on either....hmmm.

Any, better photos at least this time - different lens makes all the difference! :D

SangWIP_13.jpg

SangWIP_14.jpg

SangWIP_15.jpg

Cheers,

H

For the tabard and pennant why not try adding a simple off-white border to the tabard and maybe the reverse scheme on the pennant?

A quick rough in PS to show what Im meaning. (Hope you dont mind.)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/SangWIP_15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Love what you did with this model. Gonna get me some of those wings... The Lion will be, at some point, one of the only Primarchs to be fieldable in the 41st Millenium. So gotta do one up like yours... EDIT: What did you use for the gold if you didnt use gold?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again all - sorry its been so long on an update, work has had me flying all over the place recently so finding hobby time has been tricky. The BA forum reminded me about this and got me wanting to post an update. In other news, I have now invested in an airbrush which should hopefully help with those wings...

Anywho, enough of that - onto the (minor) update piccies:

SangWIP_16.jpg

SangWIP_17.jpg

SangWIP_18.jpg

SangWIP_19.jpg

SangWIP_20.jpg

The lighting here in central london was a bit harsh this morning so the images aren't ideal. The main effort was on the gems and adding a bit of contrast here and there.

Biohazard: Thank you for the input! No probs at all about PS something up - I used the very same technique (somewhat extensively...) to help decide the cloth colours. I had a similar desire to paint some extra free hand detail on the cloak(s), either as an edge detail or full image design. Seeing your mock up has certainly convinced me, particularly of the colour. You saved me a job there, thanks again! ;)

dizzy-xc: the wings are from Heresy Miniatures Arch Angel model. I simply couldn't stand the Scibor ones (they looked like tropical leaves to me!) so suitable replacements had to be found...

Zynk Kaladin: you're far too kind sir, thank you!

cathar the great: thank you for the kind words! And I will definitely be doing something along the lines that Biohazard suggested, a similar plan had been forming in my head.

Zhoolda: strong words dude! ;) thanks for the compliments!

Cheers for looking all!

Archived