Sanguinius WIP

Gorlak

awesome work, you mentioned a different lens, which certainly has improved the quality of your photos, if you don't mind me asking, what lens are you using? I'm currently using an 18-55mm canon lens which isn't ideal really, your photos seem to be coming out great!

While the casting of the model looks spectacular and the wings fit perfectly and you painting the model is just coming along amazingly might I suggest (and I may be jumping the gunhere) that you add a blood angel insignia on his front tabard? It looks rather bare and I would feel that Sanguinius with his legions taste towards aesthetics that he would have a tad more details or what not to his atire

I hope you dont mind, but I am totally thinking of jacking your ideas with this model. It looks amazing. I am wondering though, why did you change the wings? Just to didnt like the looks of them or was it something else. Still, great job on it.

blackbabyjesus: Thanks! I was shooting with a 50mm prime lens previously, mainly for the f1.8 aperture, but I switched back to my 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens which has proved much more forgiving when taking quick pics on the way to work in the morning!

undecideded: Thanks for the suggestion - I will certainly be adding details to the tabard. A BA insignia would be my first thought too but my only reservation is the BA icon on a chain hanging by that tabard. With the proximity to that it may clash visually. I will photoshop it and check before committing to freehand.

Coryphaus 101 Thank you for the kind words! The cloack is a mixture of blood red, scab red shading, baal red wash and vallejo's flat red and burnt cadmium for shading. The flat red was the base and the others were added in varying degrees to achieve the look I wanted. The gems are using the usual gem technique - shade toward the light source with a single sharp highlight of white within that shading, then highlight at the other end of the gem. Finished with a high gloss varnish to give it an extra sparkle. ;)

vharing:No problem at all, I wouldn't post it if I minded! ;) I changed the wings as the Scibor ones where the weakest part of that model to me. They didn't look 'natural' (as natural as a giant superhuman with angel wings can be...) and had far to large and course a texture to my eye. I likened the originals to more like a tropical plant's leaves than wings previously...! The Heresy Miniatures ones just couldn't be ignored.

Archived