Help vs SW

swantoon

So right now, me and my friend are starting the hobby together and he plays Wolves. I, of course play glorious BA. I'm looking for advice on how to get a well rounded army without tailoring it to SW. I'm game for any advice and I have access to most models. Thanks for assistance!!

A librarian can help you against the nastier Space Wolf psychic powers and Fear of the Darkness is a good spell vs. most armies.

A 10man Grey Hunter unit with 2x special weapons is particularly threatening, and you can easily make them run when they take a morale test on Leadership 6.. As a Blood Angel player, you could essentially make him flee right into (or near) a deep striking unit such as assault marines and since your deep strikes are more accurate than most, there is a good chance he will keep running and not regroup for a couple turns. Just some thoughts.

So right now, me and my friend are starting the hobby together and he plays Wolves. I, of course play glorious BA. I'm looking for advice on how to get a well rounded army without tailoring it to SW. I'm game for any advice and I have access to most models. Thanks for assistance!!

Can you give me more details about the kind of force he wants to take? Loganwing plays differently than regular SWs, or Thunderwolf lists, or Drop Pods....

On top of whats already been mentioned....

Itd probly be worth it for you to consider a DPing dreadnaught with blood talons for hitting long fangs in his backfield, and concentrate on fast choices. A Vangaurd squad can also be great in this role, and then provide a potent CC threat in his backfield for the rest of the game... but its less reliable when youll get them in.

Baal Predators are also amazing at shreding rhinos and razorbacks, and not bad against heavy infantry- I recommend taking one of those.

Try not to add to many elite units to your force though or hell outnumber you. Plenty of RAS for numbers and priests for the FNP that keeps them alive in an astounding manner should give you enough of an edge in CC to get to him in numbers, and furious charge from your faster moving troops will allow you to lower his numbers before he can swing back.

An Honor Gaurd might be worth taking with jump packs, as the center of a battle line. Properly outfitted theyre a bit pricey, but theyll shred right through Grey Hunter squads.

Well am a regular SW player and am constructing a BA army now too.

I hate to say it but SW can be a real pain for BA armies.

SW as an army

- SW are a midfield army with a great backup (long fangs LASplas razorbacks). So expect lots of missiles and lascannons shooting u up

- SW Rune Priests have one of the best psychic defence in the game. So dont rely on your own psychic powers.

- SW have counterattack, they dont need to charge u. So expect multiple Grey Hunter Squads (bolter, bolt pistol and chainsword) boltering u from different angels. In combination with a wolf standard they are very tough the first round of combat against non power weapons attacks. So don't count on furious charge with chainswords.

- Thunderwolf Cavalry are a great addition (when played well) for the SW-army. If u get locked in combat with a GH squad and they charge in with their cavalry, they are able to finish u of fairly easy.

-

Downsides SW

- Not very mobile compared to BA

- No beater unit

- Hate mass powerweapon attacks and low AP shots

- Each unit needs the back-up by another unit

- They can't combatsquad

- It's a troop-army, they need at least one Elite slot to give their troops a descent LD. So don't expect mass fancy and tough units. (mostly wolf scouts led by a wolf guard - or a lone wolf).

Tactics u have to use

- Demech ASAP. make them come out of their rides.

- Take out their long fangs.

- Outmanouver the SW, try to split of GH units with no back up. Not furious charge focus on being FAST)

- they are better Troops vs Troops so don't combatsquad all of your units. Use SG - BA termies - VV to take them out.

I can probably help your mate better in beating u, as i am a new BA player myself and an experienced SW player.

I play against SW with an all DOA list. They are tough and mistakes are punished heavily (space wolves whine terribly when I take Grey Knights though). Take lots of marines, ample preists, melta always helps. A librarian with FotD is virtually a must have. Because of counter attack high numbers of attacks that go first with FC to supress the counter attack reply is essential (the Sanguinor is a nice buff adding an extra attack for everyone) Pick a flank or an overextended unit and start in, use weight of numbers. I like the Sanguinor or Lemartes as a nasty counter that hits hard and early. Over half the time the SW player will have some sort of hero for the Sanguinor to go and kill anyway.

Archived