Know No Fear

apologist

Know. No. Fear.

IMG_1846.JPG

Brother Arias Aeniais

IMG_1842.JPG

Despite the demand on the Arsenal on Macragge caused by the increasing size and reach of the Legion, Arias is clad in a complete suit of Mark II plate. Rather than the patchwork 'hand-me-downs' from active forces that new recruits had received in the mid-years of the Great Crusade, each Ultramarine inducted into the Legion could be assured of a personal, newly-built set of power armour: thanks to the solidified power base and manufacturing muscle of the Ultramar region.

IMG_1843.JPG

In truth, the leeway on personal adornment granted by Masters such as Holion of the 15th, and Ventanus of the 4th, had little effect on their warriors warcraft; but the 19th strove to be the paragons of the Legio Astartes XIII.

Under the auspices of Captain Aethon, the warrior-kings of the 19th maintained a conservative code of appearance, with the Chapter-wide adoption of a very strict adherence of the Codex. Aeniais' left pauldron is therefore decorated with no personal honour markings, personalisation or heraldry: merely the universal symbol of pride in Ultramar and the teachings of the Great Primarch. Also visible in shot is Arias' sidearm, an Umbra pattern bolt pistol produced on Calth.

IMG_1844.JPG

The great strength of the mark II crys-stack fusion power plant was its reliability. Later marks improved on the heat discharge, size and power transfer efficiency, but none matched Crusade Armour's dogged ability to continue going; even heavily damaged.

This pict-capture also shows Aeniais' conscientious equipment layout: spare ammunition held in waist pouches, his sidearm and combat blade – all held within easy reach.

IMG_1845.JPG

The left pauldron bears the Legion symbol overlaid with Aethon, a fire-breathing horse. Drawn from the mythology of Macragge, the 19th's Captain adopted his equine namesake as his personal, and later Company, heraldry. In addition, the left pauldron bears tactical information: the squad designation (in this case an upward-pointing arrow to indicate membership of a Tactical squad). Ultramarines are to all intents and purposes ambidextrous, thanks to hypnosuggestion and regular drill. Nevertheless, they are encouraged to hold the trigger mechanism of their equipment with their right arms. This means the left shoulder is thrust forward, intimidating the enemy with the Legion symbol, while the tactical specifics are directed backwards for easy battlefield recognition by allied forces.

Note the sturdy Phobos pattern boltgun. The Legion symbol marks it out as either locally produced or, more likely, given a locally-produced housing.

IMG_1846.JPG

An inlaid mother-of-pearl decoration, added to the breastplate post-production by an artificer, marks Aeniais out as having received an honorific. The loincloth is a common alternative to the vac-leather pteryges that are part of an Ultramarines' dress uniform. Wearing them into battle is largely a matter of personal decision, even within the strictures of Aethon company.

That is an unbelievably sexy model. Is it a FW pre/Heresy-era model or have you scratchbuilt some/all of it? Plus the paintjob looks brilliant, and all the little details like the horse, the layout of his equipment, and the battle-damage all goes to make it look truly fantastic.

That is an unbelievably sexy model. Is it a FW pre/Heresy-era model or have you scratchbuilt some/all of it? Plus the paintjob looks brilliant, and all the little details like the horse, the layout of his equipment, and the battle-damage all goes to make it look truly fantastic.

Ta very much :)

The head, power plant, boltgun and pistol are from forgeworld; the legs are Space Hulk's Brother Omnio (with most of the detail shaved off), while the torso is greenstuff. The rest is built up from GW plastics (Terminator arms, for example). It's basically an extension of the techniques I used on my old Ultramarines and Sons of Horus armies, though I've changed a few bits around.

_Whole%20Army%20A.jpg

IMG_1830.JPG

Some beautiful conversion work there, your a brave man chopping up Space Hulk models, I haven't even taken mine off the frame yet!!

He looks great, only slight niggle is there is some blue paint on the gold trim of the shoulder pads, nothing major but it would send me crazy... -_-

I just skimmed the surface of your 50 odd page thread and your sons of horus thread and ill check back in tomorrow as its way past bedtime. Im quite simply speechless at how amazing your conversions and truescaling are. Awesome! Inspirational stuff for when i start my small PH army!

He looks great, only slight niggle is there is some blue paint on the gold trim of the shoulder pads, nothing major but it would send me crazy...

Ta for the spot! I'll take care of it when I come to paint the next group.

how did you paint him up?

Would a photo tutorial be useful? I'm sure I can scare something up if it'd be helpful. If you're just after a palette, it'd essentially Mordian Blue blended into Necron Abyss. I use some glazes of Liche Purple and Scab Red to enrich the shadows, and mix Space Wolves Grey into Mordian Blue for the extreme highlights. The gold is simply Boltgun Metal highlighted up through Chainmail to Mithril Silver. Once dry, I give it two coats of Gryphonne Sepia, allowing them to dry in between.

I just skimmed the surface of your 50 odd page thread and your sons of horus thread and ill check back in tomorrow as its way past bedtime. Im quite simply speechless at how amazing your conversions and truescaling are. Awesome! Inspirational stuff for when i start my small PH army!

Well, thank you very much! I hope you post your work here when you get started :)

Thanks very much for your encouraging feedback, cats – and I'd love to hear any ideas for what you'd like to see in this force. I hope it's okay to continue this thread with WIP pictures here – I'd have put them in a separate thread in the appropriate forum, but thought that might be seen as cluttering. :unsure:

+++

XIX Company are all looking a great deal more uniform than XV, and that's because I want to contrast the difference between these and the Word Bearers – as the Imperial Heralds are chaotic, so are the Warrior-Kings of Ultramar ordered.

In a weird way it's forcing me to be more creative – I want them to be individual, but the basic concept doesn't allow so much scope for varation beyond pose and details of additional equipment. Of course, there's still quite a lot you can do with that. :)

Brother Catamas

IMG_1854.JPG

Brother Iorex

IMG_1855.JPG

Brother Heliogabulus

IMG_1856.JPG

Brother Erethon

IMG_1857.JPG

The Forgeworld parts are a godsend, and I've found it much easier to get good poses from the legs – since the last ones I made, we've had both Grey Knight and Space Hulk terminators released, which has opened up the available poses.

I think that a decent pose can makes a fairly uniform model more interesting, but the big advantage of uniformity for me is that the models look good as a squad – and eventually as an army.

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

It's hard to do at first, but if you can picture how you'd like the army to look as a whole, then you'll be able to fit the individual models in as you go – which can be encouraging when you think that a certain model looks boring or dull: in fact, ranged as part of a group, the more conservative miniatures will set off the more dynamic, exciting and vibrant ones.

+++

Please, please tell me how you made/what you used for those shoulder pads. I am currently making my own true scale army, and any tips or tricks you have for certain armour marks would be wonderful!

For my previous Ultramarine army, I invented a method of glueing L-shaped strips of plasticard to the Terminator shoulder pauldrons.

squad1b_3.jpg

While cheap and effective, it's a bugger to get them sitting straight. I then experimented with simply using greenstuff pushed into shape, as I had become more confident in using it.

IMG_1317.JPG

While I was satisfied with the results (the trim was much slimmer and neater with this method), I wanted to emulate the new canon models when the Forgeworld mark II Marines came out. I wasn't happy with the scratch-sculpted shoulder pads I tried – mainly because they took far too long to sculpt individually and get the curves and studs correct, so I used those as source material and contacted Mike at Custom Minis, who works with 3D design. We put our heads together to get pads large enough for my conversions that evoked the Forgeworld design.

His commission was modest, his design work was great and accommodating of changes, and he was fantastically professional at every step of the way, which was very reassuring. I can thoroughly recommend you get in contact with him if you're interested in shoulder pads like mine. I hasten to add that I'm not affiliated; but I believe a good job deserves praise! :D

http://custom-minis.blogspot.com/

I would recommend that you experiment with the plasticard, putty and brass edging methods first – you'll save yourself a packet if you just use the materials you get when you buy the Terminator box set :)

One method I forgot to mention is to simply use the Grey Knight Terminator shoulder pads – trim down the excess detail, then use liquid greenstuff to fill in the text areas, and they'll be ready to go. The additional rim at the top gives them increased visual impact, so there's no need to extend them at the bottom (which is what my original ones do). It would be by far the easiest method, and you'd get a similar effect to the FW pieces.

I really like the poses, and I really hope to see some really dynamic ones. What are you planning on including in this army when it's done?

I'm currently planning on a Tactical squad and a non jump-pack assault squad in a Rhino.

Hi Apologist!

First off, I absolutely love your Praetors of Calth thread over on Warseer. Its the inspiration for my Pre-Heresy Iron Hands, which I am trying to get started.

Your attention to detail and the way that you made each Marine into an individual with a name, backstory and personal heraldry was truly inspiring stuff, so thank you!

Next, a quick question: Where did you get the brass strips that you have used on the shoulder pauldrons in this picture?

IMG_1317.JPG

Keep up the amazing work, I'll be following this thread closely!

First off, I absolutely love your Praetors of Calth thread over on Warseer. Its the inspiration for my Pre-Heresy Iron Hands, which I am trying to get started.

Your attention to detail and the way that you made each Marine into an individual with a name, backstory and personal heraldry was truly inspiring stuff, so thank you!

Thanks very much – always nice to hear I can pass on some inspiration. I've received hundreds of great ideas from hobbyists who've shared their work, especially the ever-lovely Elusive71, Synapse and Doghouse, who pioneered the big marines techniques, and luminaries like Migsula, Lamenter who produce fantastic artworks. If you haven't had the chance to see 'em, please check out all of the aboves' work: it's universally stunning.

Next, a quick question: Where did you get the brass strips that you have used on the shoulder pauldrons in this picture?

Those strips are from the ever-lovely Hasslefree miniatures' Etched Brass Architectural accessories range.

• 1 month later...

Where the Praetors of Calth were a Great Crusade army, with insiration drawn from Greek history and legend (particularly the Argonauts), this new force will be a Heresy-era army, based more closely on later Roman history and legend.

As a result, I'll be aiming for a more uniform appearance. I think the 'Heroic Individual' concept, with personalised heraldry and individual arms and equipment worked well for the earlier army, but I want to show the effect that Guilliman had on his Legion. Metaphorically, the Praetors will be the early Roman Army, while these new chaps will be the Roman Army after the Marian reforms – standardised, uniform, disciplined and horribly dangerous! I'll still be including some fantastical elements and personal decorations, but they'll be much more low-key than earlier: have a look at my Sons of Horus for the sort of effect I'm going for.

Here is Brother Galanthus, the sixth marine in the new force.

IMG_2111.JPG

I'll be adding proper background to these chaps as I paint them, as that's when their character starts to emerge for my imagination.

IMG_2112.JPG

The new Tartaros pattern Terminators from Forgeworld are a Godsend – the legs are perfect for truescale marines: no conversion or alteration needed. That's going to speed my work up considerably. Bits list – FW head, legs, weaponry. Plastic Terminator arms. Shoulder pads are 3D-printed. Torso and hands are from Tactical marines, with green stuff work on the torso.

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

Of course, that leaves the burning question – which Chapter of the Legion to tackle? The 4th, 19th, 15th and 21st are off-limits as they've already been covered, so what do you reckon?

Archived