Using no GW mins for DA. Also how can I use them for DA?

HsojVvad

Hello all, I found a new gaming system I am thinking of trying out. It's Hordes. I bought the starterset for Warmachine. I took the minis out and saw wow, I can use these for my Dark Angles. So it got me thinking, how many of us use non GW minis for their DA. If you saw someone else using non GW minis for DA what would you think?

I wonder what can I use the minis in the Warmachine starter set for? Would they be Terminators? I think some could be Terminators while the bigger ones could be mini or baby Dreadnaughts. Could some of the smaller minis be regular DA Space Marines? If so, how can I make them fluffy? Maybe Fallen? Or how about a very old chapter of DA?

I am trying to think how to use them for DA so when I paint them up, I can use them for DA when I start playing 40K again. Right now doing Tyranids but once done with them, I want to amass a huge DA army, just for show once I get my gaming room complete downstairs.

So I would love to hear your suggestions on 1)what you think of non GW minis for DA and 2)what can I make them as.

The pp models are steampunk and so dont really fit into 40k. That being said if your opponent is ok with such an epic proxy then there is no reason you cant use it. Just dont dare go into a gw store with them!!

You can convert warmachine stuff to tactical marines pretty easily.

You have to cut their weapons off, and give them bolters. Then carve out the torsos, and add a SM power armour chest, snip off the legs and add generic space marine legs. Remove the head and add a Mk7 model. Alternatively, you can just glue the power armoured head to the belt, as if they'd removes their helmet.

You can get all the bits in a tactical squad box, and you should have loads of spares <_<

In all seriousness, what warmachine models look like Dark Angels? It would be ok to use them as DA for a game or two, but if I played you regularly, I'd expect you to either convert them well so they can be used in both games (50% GW, 50%PP parts) or start buying real DA.

Maybe the Protectorae of Menoth. I dig em, and have some... But I cant see them as DA neither. Some of them could fit pretty well in an =I= force without much work, but thats it I guess. The rest of the WarmaHordes stuff isnt grimdark enough for 40k. Maybe some stuff could serve as spare parts for tyranids or tau, but thats no power armour so I stop speaking righ-- *

In all seriousness, what warmachine models look like Dark Angels? It would be ok to use them as DA for a game or two, but if I played you regularly, I'd expect you to either convert them well so they can be used in both games (50% GW, 50%PP parts) or start buying real DA.

Since I am not fimiliar with WM yet, I am not sure what they were called. They were the smaller minis to me looked like they "could" be some DA or very old (or would that be young like year 2000 or something like that, so 38 000 years before 40K :)) powered armour SM. I would even think they could be SM from a far off distant part of the galaxy and be very old relic armour.

Not everything has to be GW. Maybe because I am use what ever you want and have fun, for me it doesn't have to be just GW. Hell I even rememeber when GW said to use other stuff to play games. This reminds me of my sig on BoLS. :)

What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :) Ill go with that

scribor mini's

I can't remember what this is. I think I just read something about this a few days ago.

I must admit my first reaction to you wanting to use pp stuff in 40k was to reach out and strangle you. But you are right. If you and your opponent like the idea then do it. I would expect some resistance from most 40k players though.

I am glad I asked, I am actually shocked that people are agaisnt using Non GW minis. Personally I don't see what the problem is. Maybe you guys can explain why you feel the way you do? I just want to understand that is all.

I am wondering now if I shouldn't be doing this and think of something else for my DA that I am planning on restarting again.

Since I am not fimiliar with WM yet, I am not sure what they were called. They were the smaller minis to me looked like they "could" be some DA or very old (or would that be young like year 2000 or something like that, so 38 000 years before 40K :)) powered armour SM. I would even think they could be SM from a far off distant part of the galaxy and be very old relic armour.

Not everything has to be GW. Maybe because I am use what ever you want and have fun, for me it doesn't have to be just GW. Hell I even rememeber when GW said to use other stuff to play games. This reminds me of my sig on BoLS. :)

What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :) Ill go with that

scribor mini's

I can't remember what this is. I think I just read something about this a few days ago.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php

Thanks Recon, some nice stuff there. I really laughed at the Arrrrgghhhh 2D2. I am surprised how he gets away with that one. Maybe he got George laughing so much he left it.

Some of them would be really nice in a DA army. Nice for a leader or HQ unit.

I am glad I asked, I am actually shocked that people are agaisnt using Non GW minis. Personally I don't see what the problem is. Maybe you guys can explain why you feel the way you do? I just want to understand that is all.

I am wondering now if I shouldn't be doing this and think of something else for my DA that I am planning on restarting again.

I think most of us aren't against using non-GW minis. What we're against is using something that doesn't resemble DA or Space marines or even 40K. It's more of a design issue than a company issue. Same way I wouldn't use my space marines to play WM... they don't fit, IMHO. But opinions are opinions and all are worth the same. If you think you can pull it off and if your opponents don't mind (IMHO you should ask them , not a random bunch of internet people you'll never play against :ph34r: ), by all means go for it.

cheers.

one of the local GK players here uses some Warmachine minis as his GK Paladins.Works pretty well to set them apart from regular termies. Never seen them done as DA though...

One concern you might want to consider, is whether you'll ever want to take part in any GW-sanctioned tournament; they - as far as I know - still have a requirement for a certain percentage of a model being made using GW bits.

EDIT: Overall though I think the main problem comes from style; 40k and the "Legion Chapters" tend have specific styles and incorporating minis that don't blend with this tends to rub the purists up the wrong way.

As many said above, GW space marines are pretty well defined, so its hard to make proxies fit. As I said before, I think PP's menoth proxies some =I= models fairly well. Mabye some jacks parts could be used to cusotomize dreadnoughts, but a high work of scratch is needed, you have to take the steampunk away and add power cables and more techy stuff. Not imposible, but hard work for sure. Its not that much a bad idea but an impractical one. :)

As someone said, it worked pretty good for Grey Knights, so I am wondering why can't it work for the beloved Dark Angels? Remember one of the quesitons I also asked, is, what can they be used for. So for sake of my arugment, (please bear with me) what DA period or faction can they be used for? Fallen? Begining DA? Knights of Caliban before the Emperor showed up?

As I said before, first thing I noticed was Grey Knights when I saw the army with the crosses on them. So if they can work as GK as Myxx said, what can the be used for DA?

I don't plan on showing up to any GW store, so I am not so worried about that. :huh: This is for home and my local club when I go to from time to time. Thing is, my creative juices are not there and I am brain dead right now, so need some help to get my creativity going again. :)

The fact it work for the GK (and stiill :I have to see samples to make my opinion on it)doesn't compulsory mean it HAS to work for the DA as well. They are both different armies with different design.

Actually it would fit to Caliban's knight of the order better, as I imagine this world like a steam punk world before Johnson arise... But then it's'not DA yet, it's the Order...

I think the reason it works for GK is that they are described as wearing ornate, antique, baroque armor. I agree with Avoghai, maybe pre-Lion Knights of Caliban...

Archived