Chrome

I've seen a few of the chrome marines you can find on google images. Thought I'd do the son's Sang. Guard in similar using Sky-earth style chrome, so tried a little testing on a chaos marine should pad. Turned out ok for 10 mins of wet blending, but nothing great. Will keep at it and psot a finished pic soon.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/test-chrome.gif

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/BossGrabnutz/test-chrome-2.gif

Not bad at all for a first try. Couple of points: If the white and the blue was blended better I think the effect would be more convincing still. And the front of the legs should be mostly brown if your going for a chrome effect as they are pointed more toward the ground than the sky.

Hope this helps. :)

That's not bad for a first try, but the problem with SENMM is that every surface must be shaded differently, a chrome shoulder pad rim is going to reflect much differently than the large field surface of the shoulder pad, the top rim this going to have a completely different reflection from the top flange of the rim, and if you don't get it exactly right the brain instantly recognizes it as very "off" even if you can't figure out what exactly is throwing the whole effect off. It's very difficult to do do, and very time intensive even if you can do it right.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1191...ecting-on-senmm

Pay special attention to the lion head symbol just over halfway through the article, as well as the shield at the end. But, like everything, practice is everything, keep at it!

I have to give you 10 stars for even attempting this. I am a decent painter and although I prefer real metallics (just showing my bias), I applaud your efforts as it is not a simple thing you are striving for.

@Kalamadea: Many thanx for that link. I learned a lot from it.

A couple of comments:

1. I think you have the definition of the horizon on curved surfaces thing down. That's not an easy thing to do by any measure. It does tend to make the figure look very busy.

2. I think the complexity of the image is enhanced by the strength of your colors, which is distracting the eye.

3. Although the horizons look really good, it would seem that if the colors weren't so bold, that it would look a little more like a reflection vs. a pattern. I.e. more of an effect.

4. Having said that, it seems like you need to tone down the colors with white (or perhaps a light grey) to wash them out, then come back at the highest points (per the article) and blend the stronger colors back in....though just in very thin lines where the definitions need to be.

All that to say you are getting closer to where you need to be. I suspect there is a lot of blending ahead of you to get to the point where the eye can be deceived into believing it's really looking at metal.

However, I don't think you would have attempted this if you had a faint heart.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Nice effort, but I'd maybe do the mountains in a darker blue rather than a true reflection. Are those Angels Sanguine I spy? I don't suppose you've posted that armyanywhere?

Archived