Deathwing Colour Schemes

CovertToaster

I've been buying up old metal deathwing models from ebay lately and have 20 so far and a heap of different weapon arms. So this weekend I started mucking around with a colour scheme with one model that turned out to be a plain old terminator so I wasn't worried if I wrecked it. I have had two tries at painting this model and have come up with a passable colour scheme and was wanting some feedback.

I would post this on the PCA forums but need DW specific feedback so thought it would be best here. Beware this is still a WIP at the moment.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/CovertToaster/IMG_0031.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/CovertToaster/IMG_0033.jpg

The general paint scheme for the armour is

Skull White undercoat

1:1 Bleached Bone/Skull White

1:2 Bleached Bone/Skull White leaving the previous coat showing in the recesses

After that I applied a heavily watered down coat of bubonic brown and highlighted that with the previous coat.

For the arms I switched that scheme around to washing the recesses with bubonic brown and tidying that up with the previous coat. That's my main concern which one should I use over the whole model? Is the bubonic brown wash too much or too yellowish or should I try something else altogether. Anyway here's the rest.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/CovertToaster/IMG_0032.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/CovertToaster/IMG_0035.jpg

So any comments and criticisims appreciated especially alternative painting recipe's

I think Griphonne Sepia Wash would be the one you are looking for, Devlan Mud is a bit darker but also an option (depending on the look you want to get) .

I prefer Sepia myself, but thats up to you to deside. I would defonately go for a wash though as I find your WIP very bright.

Only use it on the bone bits though, metal I'd wash with black wash (Where the name escapes me at the moment) give it a try and post the results

oh and a small edit, there is also a green and a red wash, I see you've highlighted the green but not the red on your model, that combined with the 4 washes should really lev el your model up a lot.

I thought it was too bright to that is why I started washing but I've tried Gryphonne Sepia and I wasn't hugely fussed with the results. Maybe I'll paint it up to an even brighter shade in a couple more layers and try Gryphonne Sepia or Devlan Mud to tone it back down.

I thought about Devlan Mud too but that is quite dark and I wasn't sure how it would turn out but that is what I washed the red with; it was Blood Red, washed with Devlan Mud, 1st highlight Blood Red, 2nd highlight Blazing Orange. The metal is all Boltgun Metal, washed with Badab Black, highlighted with Mithril Silver which is pretty standard I think.

I didn't know about the green wash though and was wondering if there was one as Scorpion Green on top of DA Green is a big contrast but it's kinda growing on me. I need to go back to the store to buy some more white and Bleached Bone though so I'll pick up some green wash, thanks.

My recipe is this:

Spray with Army Painter's skeleton bone.

Wash with Devlan mud.

Drybrush with bleached bone.

Drybrush with skull white.

I don't think the Devlan mud is too dark, but that's a subjective opinion. It's out of focus but this picture shows the colours best.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20120129_161714.jpg?t=1327867204

I've also used scorpion green to highlight Dark Angels green. If you can blend the colours together a bit it'll look less stark.

Yeah that doesn't look too bad. My pictures look brighter as I had an unfiltered 60W light shining directly on the model and the camera was 2 inches away from it so everyone could get a close look.

I tried mixing 1:1 DA green and Scorpion green for a first application for that iconography but maybe I need to go a little heavier with the application.

OP: don't know if it's the light but your scheme seems to come out a bit buttery.

My scheme is similar to cactus:

• spray skull white
  • heavy wash of devlan mud
  • basecoat 50:50 bleached bone:skull white
  • very light drybrush skull white

I then ruin it all with a gloss varnish but my minis are for gaming, not golden demon. They're a decent tabletop quality.

That's 90% the lighting and the fact that I used a wash that was quite yellow. There is a pure skull white highlight added to the helmet and it's not easy to see even from pictures that close up so the top layer is just a touch on the cream side of white.

I've been mucking around with gryphonne sepia and then adding slightly thinner layers over it and it's working out a little better. I think I might change the undercoat from white to black as I think the overall effect comes out to bright with a white primer.

I'll put some more photo's up this weekend so you can see how it went. If I can get something sorted out soon I might see if I can sneak a couple of squads into the LPC but I'll need to rebase them on 40mm bases to qualify as completed so I'll see how it goes.

Also try to keep those paints thin. Especially whites, including bleached bone.

I know some people might thing this is crazy, but I start with a black primer because I like the dark recesses...

I build up from a brown base coast with thin layers of bleached bone and used controlled washes of sepia. I than highlight with bleached bone/white blend than another more extreme highlight.

Example 1

Example 2

On a side note, I think this may be in part due to the lighting. Bleached bone can get that yellowish hue with certain lighting.

Archived