Hi,

Do i have enough anti-tank in my army

I have 3 speeders, 2 with multi-meltas, the other with Typhoon Missile Launcher

My tac squad has a missile, as do my scouts

I have the option for a second tac squad with a lascannon aswell

I have a rifleman dread so i have 4 autocannon shots

Been thinking of adding a Vindy for that last bit of ooomph

Is this enough?

What would you do if an AV14 vehicle comes knocking and you only have two multimeltas on speeders which can hurt it reliably? B) Missiles are great versatile tools, but they can not hurt AV14 sadly ...

I usually bring two Predators with las cannon sponsons as additional anti-tank weapons.

Well, the first question is: How many points are we looking at? The anti-tank needed for 2,500 points is quite different from that required at 500 points.

And, my second question: What does your local metagame look like? What kind of armies are common in the groups you game with?

Finally, my third question: What does the rest of your army look like?

I think the answers to these three questions will help us provide a better answer for you.

My points limit is 2000pts i normally play between 1500 and 2000pts

I play against Tau and SoB alot but i'm starting to play against a mate with BA and Daemons

My Full List is

Kantor

7 x Sternguard w/ 2 combi-flamers and Heavy Flamer

8 x Sternguard w/ 2 combi-flamers and heavy Flamer

Rifleman Dread

Tac squad with Flamer and ML

Scout squad with 4 snipers, ML and Telion

Land Speeder with MM and HF

Land Speeder with TML and HB

Land Speeder with TML and HB

Just need to figure out my heavy support slots. Didn't know whether to go for 2 preds and whirlwind or 2 vindys and whirlwind??????????????

I prefer to use two Predators because of the long range of their lascannons. Overall it really depends on your play style. If you like to get up close Vindicators can work really well. I do not like them because of their short range (24") and because they are not a reliable anti-tank vehicle (blast misses the hull too often for my taste).

I would recommend you try out vindicators and predators and then get what you feel more comfortable playing with. If you do not encounter AV14 vehicles at all then you will obviously not need much anti tank at all :)

For anti-tank Preds are the better choice, combi-preds to be precise. Same amount of points as a Vindy with dozer blade, and much more efficient at opening up transports, and their lascannons mean they can have a crack at AV13+. The Vindy, on the other hand, is short ranged and a has a blast weapon, these are not great anti-tank abilities, the blast more than the short range though. Sure it's S10 and rolls 2D6 pick highest armour pen, but if that hole goes off the centre it's only S5, unlikely to do much to a Rhino. Of course they're decent against Land Raiders with their large model footprint, and also the new FAQ which clarifies that any part of the centre hole has to be touching the model, not the dead centre as some people have played it.

As for the amount of firepower in the list, against foot armies with only a couple of tanks and hybrid armies you should be fine. Against mech you'll definitely need more, so it depends on the armies you'll face.

One useful thing I do is split "anti tank" weapons into 2 categories.

1) anti transport weapons, these are long range S6-8 and hopefully multi shot weapons used to dismount infantry from transports while they are across the board. The standard target is the thino.

2) anti AV14 weapons, for land raiders, leman russ and other big nasties that just have to die. Melta has become the default choice for many armies anything S9+ can work effectively if you have enough.

Multi melta attack bikes are cheap, durable, fast, and deadly. A combi-pred is only 30pts cheaper than a full squad of 3xMMAB(multi-melta attack bikes). A pred can die in one hit/get stunned, bikes can take a min. of three hits and are moving until they are all dead. Bikes are more vulnerable to anti infantry weapons but they have two wounds, 5 toughness, 3+ armor save, and a possible turbo boost save to help with that. Three multi meltas on bikes gives you two feet of double die melta goodness and threaten S:8 AP:1 to 36" (good enough to pop any transport).

Combi-predators still have range and spotlights(something important vs. new necrons). Bikes will fill out your fast slots and gives your opponent something else to shoot at if you want to use your speeders aggressively, or Combi-pred would sit back with your typhoons.

How do your Tac.'s, Scouts, and Sternguard get around?

Archived