word bearers host

greatcrusade08

so weather was good enough for spraying this afternoon, so i wasted no time.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/001-23.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/002-22.jpg

i have in the top pic a land raider, 2 vindies, dual defilers and rhinos for all 3 of my CSM squads

in the second pic i have the rest of my CSM including 5 meltagunners i was going to use for chosen and/or switching out specials on my CSM squads.

my dark apostle, icon bearers and champions are all lined up on my painting table also.

ive still got my 5 posessed and termies to basecoat, but i have made a start by basecoating my TDA sorcerer.. pics later.

howdy folks, just a quick update, ive got some time off work which means my painting has slowed progress.

i paint in my bedroom and we have one of those miraculous energy saving lightbulbs, sadly after it gets dark outside i dont have enough light to paint by.

however i managed to make a start on my lord/dark apostle.

i had to repaint him, i first went for the all black with white helm, but it looked god awful.

so i went with the generic word bearers theme and its looking alot better IMO

of course C+C welcome

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/003-15.jpg

thanks for all the comments chaps

Can't help but think of the red skull (from captain america) when I look at your apostle

:mellow: yeah, all my champs have the same helm, its from the berserker set with the bunny ears removed

What I would advise is going for golden rims on the shoulder pads to really mark him as different from the rest of the Word Bearer lot.

hmm thats not a bad idea, it will have to wait until i can get some gold paint though.. il put it on my to do list

i seem to have alot of half finsihed guys, i plan to get some of the basic troops finsihed today and maybe start on a defiler (do a leg or something to get my eye in)

im also toying with the idea of keeping the same type of base as used on ym test mini.. rather than fork out on the ruins bases with money i dont have.. plus it will tie in with my UMs and when i get my table (eventually) i can tie everything togther

• 2 weeks later...

very good - love the red.

The DP skin needs more depth. Your red is great but the skin tone is soooo flat. The colour is ok but you need to blend from the dark to light tones to create shape, more so with that colour (blue-grey) I wouldnt blend to extreme light colour and I wouldnt start at black either. A deep purple (minimal like your black lines) through to a wolf grey or a few shades darker? I dont recommend a wash on large surfaces and if you have the skill to blend why not use it.

Some gold on your heroes would be ace. Make them stand out. Some freehand would be perfect too.. from memory some of the heresey picks have flaming script? A focal point on your marines will make them pop. ATM they are crisp.

Snow base is ace. Red will stand out on a white board whilst the white will lift your marines from a green table top.

Overall - awesome work mate

thanks mate, the flat skin tone was mentioned by a chap at my LGS, he suggested adding flesh to the grey for the tentacles.

when i go back and revisit him ill try and blend some colour into him.. although tbh im still not entirely confident with blending, its worth a shot

even just good layering like what you are doing with your red would be ace

I really like your work. I cracked out my paints recently and half of them had dried up. I still have the old twist style lids on some of them. Dabbling in some GK wickedness and might build a list...

Very nice looking army! The DP is awesome, it reminds if Cthulhu or the Kraken. You're red is perfect.

Might I suggest a different red or maybe black on the DA's skull? As it is it looks like a stylised helmet that hasn't been stylised... <_<

I'm also gonna go with everyone reccomending gold trim on the champions. Traitors aren't like loyalists, they're armour can be however they like it (although usually it looks similar to the ones they are leading).

even just good layering like what you are doing with your red would be ace

I really like your work. I cracked out my paints recently and half of them had dried up.

i had the same problem, i lost half of my paints as i stored them in my garage and extreme weather got to them

layering shouldn't be a big problem, ill have a go see what i can do.. im currently working on a defiler and it really shows that im a slow painter, spent over a week on him and hes still not finsihed.

some WIP pics a bit later though

Very nice looking army! The DP is awesome, it reminds if Cthulhu or the Kraken. You're red is perfect.

Might I suggest a different red or maybe black on the DA's skull? As it is it looks like a stylised helmet that hasn't been stylised... <_<

I'm also gonna go with everyone reccomending gold trim on the champions. Traitors aren't like loyalists, they're armour can be however they like it (although usually it looks similar to the ones they are leading).

yeah i need some better gold paint, it got affected by storage and is pretty naff, so ill have to wait til i can get some more.

the one thing about painting gold is that it looks horrible when painted flat, i much prefer NMM but i cant really pull it off

the DP is indeed cthulhu.

on the helmet, i tried black and it just doesnt stand out, i plan to paint a crown of thorns on him, like an imperial laurel.

as Tual says, i want to put alot of freehand into him to make him pop

edit: i have found a good NMM tutorial, so i suppose i should stop being such a girl and give it a shot

WIP defiler pics as promised

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/011-9.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/014-7.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/015-7.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/016-8.jpg

my photography skills arent great but criticism welcome

Very nice looking models here. Can only reinforce what others have said about the red, looks spot on to me.

And that defiler looks great, really like the purple, compliments the red very well, without being overpowered. Keep up the good work!

Great work thus far, I too love the Word Bearers, one day I will paint a few of my own up!

I have one crit, which is that I think they would be really improved by changing your highlighting on the red.

At the minute it looks like you go from Mechrite to Blood in a single step? To me it looks like a bit too harsh of a change in tone.

Have you tried doing a 50:50 mix of the two colours and using that as your edge highlight?

Appreciate you've painted a lot of minis thus far, so might not want to change the approach, but I'd recommend giving it a try.

Keep it up though, you've got a really great looking host!

WotF

thanks guys appreciate the comments

At the minute it looks like you go from Mechrite to Blood in a single step? To me it looks like a bit too harsh of a change in tone.

yup i go from scab red to blood red, but i keep the highlights minimal. tbh i dont want to make too much work for myself and i actually like the effect

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww87/greatcrusade08/003-15.jpg

ok chaps quick Q about the gold.

do i paint every bit of trim gold or only special areas like the raised should pads

I reckon just the 'major' areas, otherwise he won't look as much like a Word Bearer. I reckon it'll look cool with only the 'major' metallic areas in gold.

Archived