Rapid Fire on Vehicles

Twin .44

I recently played a game of 40K after several months off from the game. OK, it was a year and a half. Anyway, my first game back I saw something from my opponent that confused me. He measured from his Las-Plas Razorback the 12" for rapid fire. It was found to be out of range, and then fired one shot since it was in 24". I could have sworn once you declare you are shooting twice at 12" you could NOT shoot once at 24". More like you tried to shoot, it couldn't reach, and then it misses.

I looked over the rulebook and only saw that a unit of infantry that does not move can fire rapid at 12" for the ones in range, and the ones out of the 12" range can fire the one at 24" (which makes no sense, since they can move and be in full rapid fire range, but I digress).

So ultimately, can you change from double to single shot (and vice versa) after measuring the distance? And if possible, can you provide me with a reference to a page from the rulebook to clarify? I must have looked that thing up and down thirty times and couldn't find a clear answer, same with the errata.

Thanks in advance!

While I don't have the BRB in front of me, I am very confident in saying that rapid fire is not a choice you make, like picking targets, but a function of the weapon.

So, if you haven't moved and you're within 12", you get two shots, otherwise it's one shot. And unless I'm misremembering, you also can't choose to only fire one shot if the enemy is within 12" range.

LPetersson has it right.

You declare a target then measure. If found to be in 12 inch range, you fire twice. If found to be 12-24, you fire once. If outside 24, you don't fire.

LPetersson has it right.

You declare a target then measure. If found to be in 12 inch range, you fire twice. If found to be 12-24, you fire once. If outside 24, you don't fire.

Correction:

If over 24" you DO fire, but you miss automatically. (Once you declare a weapon to be firing it must fire. It may not actually get a roll to hit.)

I had a nice encounter with this rule, when an opponent's SM plasma'ed himself twice instead of his target.

Oh yeah...

In my gaming circle, my plasma marines are well known for frying themselves on a stupidly regular basis... O.o

An addendum to this: Even if the plasma weapon (or any other weapon that Gets Hot!) is out of range, you still have to roll to hit as you still might overheat and kill yourself (not applicable to vehicles, obviously).

So, if you haven't moved and you're within 12", you get two shots

That is a third-edition (and fourth? I don't remember) rule: if you stood still you could fire two shots out to 12 inches, but if you moved you only had one shot regardless of range.

Archived