What would a new codex really mean for Deathwing,

Corrupted

Plastic Caestus Assault Ram, maybe?

Wheres that bucket dammit? :cuss

Even if the rules suck and the fluff is bent out of shape, I'll still be trudging on with the I Legion.

I'm still just hoping for Robed Termies and a plastic jetbike Sqd(obviously with rules to use them).

Thanks i needed that,i feel better now.

I'm hoping for an inner circle honor guard type unit(similar to what the lion brings with him in savage weapons). Basically a DA version of sanguinary guard with nice big 2h power weapons.

Jetbike unit, robed terminators with new weapons(2h power weapons). Other than that some special rules that make our tac squads worth a damn. Oh and fix our damn assault squads so they aren't a waste of points. CC ravenwing squad would also be awesome.

I'm hoping for an inner circle honor guard type unit(similar to what the lion brings with him in savage weapons). Basically a DA version of sanguinary guard with nice big 2h power weapons.

Jetbike unit, robed terminators with new weapons(2h power weapons). Other than that some special rules that make our tac squads worth a damn. Oh and fix our damn assault squads so they aren't a waste of points. CC ravenwing squad would also be awesome.

You have written almost all my thoughts.

You have written almost all my thoughts.

seconded

except, add Sapphon, Asmodai and Bethor and one successor and i will be a happy chappy

Stormraven(s) please.

The *new* DW Assault.

You made me puke now...

Really? I know it doesn't fit the *old* mold, but the model is so very very sexy and would open up all kinds of tactical options!

Even if the rules suck and the fluff is bent out of shape, I'll still be trudging on with the I Legion.

I'm still just hoping for Robed Termies and a plastic jetbike Sqd(obviously with rules to use them).

Aye to all that sir :D

The thread has turned a bit towards the wish listing, so I'm going to kick mine in. I want, like many others, mortis dreads. I'd also like to see them mortis dreads be more interesting then just a standard dread with two heavy weapons. AV 13 like iron clad or some special shooting rules as the furiso has special CC rules.

+1

jetbike unit to be the combat unit. Belial to make the termi/sang guard unit a troops choice (regular deathwing as troops anyway).

And a librarian with powers that are actually worth a damn. If I could do a Deathwing force led by a decent librarian with mortis dreads as firesupport, i would literally pee my pants with excitement.

Well pee away, as you just described an army that already exists. It is called "Grey Knights Counts As Dark Angels". There is no reason to have such a thing yet again, but something similar will likely end up existing as an option anyways.

Well pee away, as you just described an army that already exists. It is called "Dark Angels Counts as Grey Knights". There is no reason to have such a thing yet again, but something similar will likely end up existing as an option anyways.

yes, but then i'd be a douche. a douche with no storm shields, a limited range and no deathwing assault. no thanks.

It would be cool because its deathwing, painted in deathwing bone, with signature dark angel dreadnoughts. using grey knights rules invalidates all cool associated with such an army.

I was shown the spine of this month's (25th anniversary) White Dwarf yesterday and i must admit, it lit up my face like a lantern. The fact that the GW staffer that showed it to me also reported that the design studio is locked up tighter than a crab's buttocks just adds to that excitement.

As to what is and is not likely to happen to units, points costs etc, frankly i don't care. GW will give us a codex worth having, even they wouldn't screw us over a second time......... That's me being sarcastic by the way.

As an aside, i see a lot of concentration on DW and RW but what about the other elements that make us Dark Angels? Our legendary stubbornness? Our hunt for the Fallen? Now i know that the last time we had a hunt for the Fallen rule it was pretty crappy but there has got to be a way to incorporate this aspect of our nature into the codex. I don't just want a codex that improves our units or makes us more competitive; i want a codex that makes us Dark Angels again.

like they did when we moved from 3rd to 4th? yes....of course they wouldn't...

I'm fairly confident that will be the box art for the 6th edition box. That's where the DA codex rumour came from in the first place and why i remain cautiously optimistic.

Well done Stobz, my sentiments entirely... :(

SG

As an aside, i see a lot of concentration on DW and RW but what about the other elements that make us Dark Angels?

I think keeping table wide captain's leadership, combined with igetting back ntractible (option for stubborn via upgraded sergeant), combined with 6th edition rapid fire rules would do the trick, and it's my primary wish. I still pine for my third edition triad of "immovable object" tactical squads...

In looking at the trends of the other codexes, GW is emphasizing the differences between chapters and not the similarities. I'd expect your deathwing and ravenwing choices to be expanded upon and buffed, while your regular power armor guys will be brought into line with standard sm types but still be sub optimal choices based on the codex design. If you look at blood angels, tactical and devastator squads are good viable choices, but it's still better to make an assault squad army that the codex was designed to support.

That would mean:

Dreadnought variants - mortis, a cc dread, a deathwing buffer?

Chaplains like sanguinary priests - stubborn bubble?

More varied armament for the deathwing - ancient tech heavy weapons etc. (as an aside, i don't think we'll get 10 man squads)

OR (and i like this idea as it's only just hit me) - variant deathwing squads. A heavy support DW squad can take 2 heavy weapons, an elite command squad type carrying relic blades and storm shields in elites, regular DW terminators in troops. Not sure how you work that out while minimising the greenwing portion of the army. And would require a bit of a rewrite of the fluff as DW are generally teleporting strike forces.

a ravenwing squad that resembles a knightly order - lances, lotsa power weapons, that sort of thing.

i may have to write a fandex...

In looking at the trends of the other codexes, GW is emphasizing the differences between chapters and not the similarities. I'd expect your deathwing and ravenwing choices to be expanded upon and buffed, while your regular power armor guys will be brought into line with standard sm types but still be sub optimal choices based on the codex design. If you look at blood angels, tactical and devastator squads are good viable choices, but it's still better to make an assault squad army that the codex was designed to support.

I'd agree with this assessment :P.

That's why I'm quietly optimistic about our first (and second) companies.

Cheers

I

I would say that if there is a chapter that should have the something something on tacticals, it is the Dark Angels.

I hope Deathwing and Ravenwing make it to the Troops choices without the inclusion of master Special characters...

For the record, is there any word of who might be doing the Codex at all?

So far smart money is saying this:

- 6th Edition is coming soon

- The starter for 6th is Dark Angels vs. Chaos

- Chaos is getting a hard back codex release either just before 6th or just after.

- Dark Angels are in development but not further along than Chaos

So most have been inferring either:

6th Edition >> Chaos Codex >> Dark Angels (fairly likely)

Chaos Codex >> 6th Edition >> Dark Angels (also likely as Chaos is apparently ready to go to print now, though that could take 3-6 months)

Dark Angels >> 6th Edition >> Chaos (not as likely due to the state of development between the two)

Either way Dark Angels are apparently further on in development than the rest (and Black Templar are apparently nowhere on the horizon for now according to some very reliable sources). So considering that Harry, Darnok and several other very reliable sources this is looking to be a pretty good indication that Chaos and Dark Angels are the next two. That said Dark Angels aren't going to be really soon (late 2012 or early 2013). Chaos is most likely next.

[usual disclosures and quantities of salt to take with the above]

As for how I feel? Well, between Space Wolves and Grey Knights I think Games Workshop has gotten better at doing small, elite armies. So I think we will actually see a Ravenwing and Deathwing that may wow us this time around. Previously they have been kind of lackluster save for during interim periods near new edition releases when Deathwing became rather powerful in comparison to other possibilities (i.e. late-4th Deathwing and the current TH/SS+CML builds).

We will likely be seeing a spate of new units in order to catch us up with the unit-type explosion that started back during 3rd Edition (and seems to be reaching its height around now). Things like the Mortis are pretty safe bets and I really think a jet bike is going to be another shoe-in for inclusion (if only because it is a popular inclusion in fan-lists, we have some old fluff that fits the use of 'em back in Rogue Trader and no less than two independant companies produce them now). Beyond that I can see a lot of changes to Deathwing and Ravenwing squads, especially on the latter (hopefully to give them flexibility beyond DW-delivery systems).

I'll hold off and see if 6th is any good and if it is I will probably allow myself to get excited about the Dark Angels codex. If not I may still pick up the starter just for the hell of it. But until I see how 6th plays I wont be making any bets, even if the leak is really a leak it is so early that I have no way of being able to tell if 6th is worth the effort yet.

Archived