What would a new codex really mean for Deathwing,

Corrupted

One thing that GW has seemed to include more often is diverse armies in the same codex.

That said, I think they will add changes so that Deathwing and Ravenwing are more complete armies.

Having 9 of the exact same unit does not make a very diverse army...

Deathwing, standard units I am expecting to see added Hand weapons, maybe not the same sword/halberd/hammer/falchion as with GK, but I am expecting an increase from the SB/PF, TLC, TH/SS choices. PW/SB and PW/SS seem an obvious additions. I would love to see Relic Blades or Halberds also. Also as a way to Differentiate DW from normal TDA, 2HW per 5 seems like a possible update.

I expect to see at least one additonal Deathwing unit, one possibility is an elite 2W version similar to Paladins.

If Mortis Dreadnoughts do not get added as Heavy Support, a Heavy Support Deathwing unit also seems likely. Although I am fully expecting a Mortis Dreadnought Inclusion.

Landraiders would seem destined to being DW dedicated transports. My hope is unlimited dedicated transports for DW.

The biggest weakness/whole in a dedicated DW army is the fast attack slot. As of right now there is no unit that DW have that can fulfill that slot. Now a Stormraven would be a likely addition here, but rumour says that SR's will only be GK/BA. But there are rumours of a new Flyer, these would be something that would be great for DW. I really do not know what would be fitting, a Thunderhawk is too big, Stormbirds were even bigger. The Storm Raven is really just the right size having capacity of 6 TDA units, and a Dread. Perhaps a Flying transport with higher capacity and no Dread payload?

Updated Venerable Dreads also seems destined for any DW update. I do not see an Ironclad added to DW, but a DW specific Dread would be a welcome Addition.

Belial, definately needs an update. His saving grace is that he is so cheap, and still allows a DW army. It would be nice to use DW without a special character, but that goes against GW current designs.

The Ravenwing, really needs a complete overhaul. The poorly thought out and executed mixxed unit Ravenwing needs to go. It just does not have good synergy.

Here is what I see from new Ravenwing...

Troops) Bike Squads 3-10 members, Combat Squads of 5. I would like to see additional Special weapons. say 2 per 5.

Elite) Veteran Bikers 3-10 members, Veteran Stats, additional wargear options, PW's Thunderhammers, etc. like Vanguard on Bikes.

Heavy) Assault Bikes 1-5 bikes, added new Heavy weapon besides just MM/HB.

Fast) Landspeeder Squads 1-5, no limits on Typhoon/Tornado patterns

HQ) Sammy needs a little help, Independant Character sorely needed on the jetbike. A Regular Bike version would be nice to have the option for.

Jet bike command/honour squad would we great to have, and I am sure it would sell a ton of models.

Yeehaa, Plasma cannon Attack bikes, Plasma Cannon Jetbikes, Plasma Cannon turrets on Razorbacks, Termies with plasma Cannon, Plasma Cannon with Plasma Cannon and Plasma Pistols as spare PLASMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I actually want this(mostly), so thankfully we'll see soon enuff.

s

snip

I think someone got a little over excited.

Whatever ends up happening I hope the dex comes out before 6th as I'm currently really bored with how stale list building in the current codex is. There is no more real tactics or list discussion here or the big tactics thread on warseer. It basically boils down to whether you want to play competitive DA or fluffy DA and there is only one viable list right now with competitive DA.

Which would be 3 speeders, belial, and however many deathwing squads you can cram in?

it's only the same as discussions on the eldar codex. do you want to play competitive? then you take DAVU serpants, fire dragons in serpants and uh......that's it. maybe fire prisms. if you want to play fluffy, you can take anything in the book. comes from the design philosophy of 4th.

I have to say though, that while list building includes very little variation for me, I enjoy every single game with my deathwing. i am:

- always outnumbered

- always less manueverable

- always packing less small arms fire

i have to focus on my game completely to pull out wins with the deathwing. one mistake can lead to my battle line folding. an overextension here or there, poor target priority for a turn etc.

i've tried razorspam, other flavours of marine and i just keep coming back to the deathwing.

Yeehaa, Plasma cannon Attack bikes, Plasma Cannon Jetbikes, Plasma Cannon turrets on Razorbacks, Termies with plasma Cannon, Plasma Cannon with Plasma Cannon and Plasma Pistols as spare PLASMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I actually want this(mostly), so thankfully we'll see soon enuff.

We likely won't be seeing C: DA any time soon, as a reputable source has mentioned that GW has only just recently started to work on C: DA, meaning it will be unleashed somewhere around the first half of 2013. We do get new starter set models in the meantime though, and more still when the codex does come out. I am going to start saving for that right now. B)

We likely won't be seeing C: DA any time soon, as a reputable source has mentioned that GW has only just recently started to work on C: DA, meaning it will be unleashed somewhere around the first half of 2013. We do get new starter set models in the meantime though, and more still when the codex does come out. I am going to start saving for that right now. :rolleyes:

I might actually get round to finishing my ravenwing army just before we get a new book!

Have 2 mortis pattern contemptors to do first *drool*

We likely won't be seeing C: DA any time soon, as a reputable source has mentioned that GW has only just recently started to work on C: DA, meaning it will be unleashed somewhere around the first half of 2013. We do get new starter set models in the meantime though, and more still when the codex does come out. I am going to start saving for that right now. :D

I might actually get round to finishing my ravenwing army just before we get a new book!

Have 2 mortis pattern contemptors to do first *drool*

Yup, me too. It'd be great if we get a new dex in Q1 or 2 but I'm still catching up painting a hell of a lot of current dudes and don't need any new plastic crack at this time.

Stormraven(s) please.

The *new* DW Assault.

You made me puke now...

Really? I know it doesn't fit the *old* mold, but the model is so very very sexy and would open up all kinds of tactical options!

Dunno,dont like the models or flyers its MHO i guess, dont want to enforce it but thats how i feel.

EDIT: I just got informed from a usually accurate source, that we will get a big surprise from our new dex as to what is i got no clue.

We're all heretics! it's been revealed to the Imperium what happened during the Horus Heresy. They were all like "meh, you've been doing some good shizzle since, s'cool brah". Azrael goes insane as the Dark Angels torrid emo history was all for naught and the Dark Angels turn to Chaos in the face of the spineless Imperium. The 6th edition box set is actually the dark angels cleansing a chaos world to create a new home in the eye of terror.

If 'flyers' are the only way to get play a decent army and it wil _almost_ a must to field that fugly flyer called stormraven (right?), I swear I will never play a game of 40K again. I really hate that model. I wish it was either opponents' conscent or FW only...

I will seriously consider selling off my whole collection, even. And I will raise my kids on a diet of Bloodbowl and normal board games...!!!

We likely won't be seeing C: DA any time soon, as a reputable source has mentioned that GW has only just recently started to work on C: DA

Not quite - they said it's in progress. Jervis said almost two years ago that they were in the (very) initial stages of development. So I think that it's closer to the end than the beginning of the process, particularly if DA are in the starter set. I'd guess latter half of this year or January next year at the latest.

But that is a guess. :lol:

Archived