So I have six drop pods...

CT GAMER

A little background: I just found out that my brother-in-law (a self-described hardcore competative type) is returning to 40k after a four year hiatus and is starting Necrons.

I had acquired six drop pods a while back and they have been sitting on a shelf as I had no inspiration to start another army. Now with the potential to start fighting competative 'cron builds, I am motivated to consider building a new force using said pods.

1. I know that I don't want a vanilla marine force, but want to try one of the chapters with their own codex.

2. I want to build a list using the pods and trying to use drop pod assault tactics.

3. Want to focus on short range firepower and assault (obviously)

4. Will mostly only use this army when I fight bro's 'crons so I can tailor the list somewhat

So which chapter(s) have the most compettive drop pod builds? Best match-up to competative 'crons?

Blood Angels?

Spce Wolves?

Black templars?

Can Grey Knights even use pods?

I do not currently own any of the above codexes, so am starting rather blind so to speak.

I look forward to any leads or suggestions to get me started...

Space Wolves are above and beyond the best drop-pod force in the game.

Its a flexable, aggressive and precise playstyle thats great if you can think well on your feet and like adaptable battle plans. We had quite a discussion over in the Fang.

I would suggest space wolves. They have great cc options a well s long range fire power, particularly with long fang ml spam. As for BT, rumors abound that they will be trying a new codex soon. And while BA are great cc options, they excel with jump pack spam more so than pods.

Just my ¢2

Shame, Space Marines don't make a bad drop pod force thanks to Sternguard, Dreads and the MotF allowing you to take plenty of both. Add in a couple of Tactical squads in pods or small Scout squads plus Pedro for scoring power. Sternguard allow you to have some hard hitting units that are flexible in their approach.

Tiggy is another choice for HQ thanks to his reserve manipulation, and with locator beacons can safely teleport Sternguard around. Scout bikers with locator beacons can also ensure the first wave land where needed.

Space Wolves are probably best for you thanks to the reasons above, Templars are updated, while Blood Angel deep strike lists do better with Descent of Angels thanks to reserve manipulation, deep strike scatter reduction and fnp bubbles. Therefore, for a mix of firepower and combat you're sort of stuck with Space Wolves. I'd look into a MM Long Fang unit with Logan for relentless to begin with.

I'll second DarkGuard's comments. I ran the following list at Ard Boyz a few years back. I tabled 2 of the 3 opponents by turn 4.

Pedro

MOTF w/ PW and combi-melta

Sternguard x9, 2xCombi-Melta, 2xMeltagun, Sgt. w/ PF and Combi-melta, Drop Pod

Sternguard x9, 2xCombi-Melta, 2xMeltagun, Sgt. w/ PF and Combi-melta, Drop Pod

Sternguard x9, 2xHeavy Flamer, Sgt. w/ PF and Combi-Melta, Drop Pod

Tac Squad x10, MeltaGun, MultiMelta, Sgt. w/ PF and Combi-melta, Drop Pod

Tac Squad x10, MeltaGun, MultiMelta, Sgt. w/ PF and Combi-melta, Drop Pod

Scout Bikers x3, Sgt. w/ Locator Beacon, Combi-Melta, Melta bombs

Scout Bikers x3, Sgt. w/ Locator Beacon, Combi-Melta, Melta bombs

IronClad Dreadnought, HF, 2x HKMs, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Dreadnought, MM, HF, EA, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Dreadnought, AC, SB, EA, Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

2500pts on the nose. 8 Drop Pods. 2 Alpha Strike units on the table with Locator Beacons. 3 more Locator Beacons come down on Turn 1 with the Dreadnoughts and one Sternguard Squad. 5 Scoring units, all buffed by Pedro's +1 bubble.

It was VERY fun to play, but I'm never assembling another Drop Pod. Ever.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I think I have decided to go with Blood Angels.

I like the fluff and themes of the BA, especially the Death Company.

Just for themed giggles in our first game vs. necrons:

(HQ) Reclusiarch w/ p.fist

(troop) Death Co. (x30) 11 w/ power weapons, 2 w/ powerfists

(troops) Death Co. dreads (x6) all w/ h. flamers, 3 w/ blood talons, 3 w/ blood fists (all w/ drop pods w/ deathwind launchers)

(H. support) Storm Raven gunships (x2) both w/ TL lascannons and TL multimeltas

2500pts. on the nose.

Only thing definitely on the board at start of game is Death Co. led by reclusiarch. Gunships most likely deepstrike into flanking positions, though if I get first turn I suppose they might be useful deploying and unleashing hell from the get go, etc.

Because we often like to think of "what-if" fluff premises for lists we build /battles we fight, this is the situation:

The main Blood angel ground advance has stalled just south (off the BA table edge) of the area depicted on the tabletop. The Reclusiarch has gathered all death company and has led them forward towards the advancing enemy in order to absolve themselves in battle. As the enemy is sighted he triggers a comm signal to orbiting BA cruisers who launch his Death company Dreadnaugt brethren to his coordinates via drop pods at the same time as Storm raven gunships are sent to provide fire support. Forward unto death in Sanguinius' name!!!

So how bad am I gonna crash and burn?

You know that list isnt legal right? You can only have six troops choices and you have seven.

Normally yes, and i wonderd about this, but the entry for Death Co. dreads states you may field one for every five death company in your army which seems to override the normal limitation imposed by force org.

Otherwise why not state "you may have one DCD for evey five death company to a maximum of five DCD"?

You know that list isnt legal right? You can only have six troops choices and you have seven.

Normally yes, and i wonderd about this, but the entry for Death Co. dreads states you may field one for every five death company in your army which seems to override the normal limitation imposed by force org.

Otherwise why not state "you may have one DCD for evey five death company to a maximum of five DCD"?

Because GW believe that everyone knows the Force Organisation chart and would therefore no you can only have 6 Troops, meaning they believe you don't have to reiterate them.

Look at the entry box for the Codex. Every choice outside the force organisation chart is in a different entry box with different colour background, and it specifically states that it doesn't count towards the force org chart.

The Death Company Dread is normal colour entry, not in it's own box, and doesn't say it doesn't count towards the force org chart, it just says there's a limit to them depending on how many Death Company you have. It doesn't mean that they don't count towards the force org chart.

For a fun exercise compare the Death Company Dread entry to the Honour Guard entry, then come back and try and assert your claim.

Because that wouldnt be accurate- not all battles use the same force organization charge. If you play a game that allows more than six troops choices you could take that extra dreadnaught. Its not possible in the normal FOC but that doesnt mean it isnt ever possible.

I would be interested in building a BA DP/DoA force. (Mainly because I can't find my SW codex at the moment) However, with BA you can still have multiple units of sternguard come down in pods and have assault marines+Sang. priests come down with accurate deep strike to support/augment them.

Larger point value games would allow a Storm Raven to replace a pod, carry Stern guard/Death Co. + any flavor of Dread that you'd want. I have no idea how competitive such armies and tactics have, but seems very cool because of how many options you would have to get Space Marines planet side.

Because that wouldnt be accurate- not all battles use the same force organization charge. If you play a game that allows more than six troops choices you could take that extra dreadnaught. Its not possible in the normal FOC but that doesnt mean it isnt ever possible.

Other then Apoc. Which has no force org at all, what other force orgs are currently used in 5th?

I'm not disagreeing with your notion, but don't know of any actual examples...

Chalk

Other then Apoc. Which has no force org at all, what other force orgs are currently used in 5th?

Chalk

There are no other FOC's. The only time you've been able to alter them, from my own knowledge, was in the previous C;CSM where Night Lords could drop two Heavy Support slots for an additional Fast Attack slot, and the Iron Warriors got vice versa. I also played a tournament in-store where instead of using the basic '1 HQ, 2 Troops', we only had to have the HQ and 1 Troops and then whatever else we could afford out of 500 points.

True, but for pick up games its best to stick to the standard force org chart and a range of points, you never know who you're going to face, what they're going to be like, and the amount of points they'll have.

I'm going to chalk this up to the sometimes poor/ambiguous GW writing style.

It would have been very easy to add "subject to force org restrictions" to the end of the rule...

There's really no need to.

You can take at most 1 DC Dread for every 5 DC you have.

DC Dreads take up a FOC slots.

There's separate rules governing how many FOC slots you have.

Nowhere does the restriction on DC Dreads imposed by DC marines conflict with the FOC rules. All rules apply in full force.

Chalk

Both Planestrike and Cityfight have missions with different requirements and options some of wich have fewer or greater numbers of troops slots. Spearhead also does, though it doesnt affect the number of troops per se there is a formation that allows you to take a number of walkers or monstrous creatures in your force outside of the normal slots they would take up for example.

Archived