KG25

Marius Perdo

As mentioned on my LPC Vow WIP thread for my DIY Chapter here, I recently unearthed marines from every edition of WH40K. Given this happened on Saturday just before WD 386 turned up, and the mention of Kantor's Glorious 25 (KG25) event in GW stores on the 28/02/2012, it got me thinking...

My Vow is looking easily doable given how the test mini is going, and it doesn't need to be done until the 31/03/2012. As I am taking it slow and steady I have a lot of "drying" time in between doing stuff for it. Thus the idea of doing 25 Crimson Fists, using all the old miniatures (that would otherwise be gatheirng dust), has grown from a mere tickle at the back of my mind to a frenzy of brain itching that no amount of steroids could stop.

So, having skimmed some basic research material, shown here:

gallery_27755_6936_100975.jpg

I have decided to do my own KG25, not to showcase the best a codex army has to offer, but to use up these old miniatures to pay homage to a game I have been playing since it came out.

Basically I'll take the Battle at the Farm from both WH40K:RT and WD339 as a base.

So defenitely a tactical squad with a flamer and missile launcher to start with, and a powerfist based sergeant.

Obviously based on the quality of some of the older miniatures I won't be winning any prizes* for painting or building, but I will go a bit nuts for each sergeant and maybe the occasional marine to represent someone named from the Rynn's World Battle Novel.

Obviously with Vows and what have you now is not the time for a challenge but if any Fraters fancy joing in, or any CF players want to show pics of what their KG25 would look like using their collection that would be cool. Even if it is only one, as in your personal favourite, we could sort out a poll for the most Glorious 25.

I also found a very old SM mini, that whilst not my favourite 40K mini, I will be painting for the store "Bring and paint your favourite 40K from the back catalogue" competition. When you see it you'll see why. I was thinking of doing the Skullz Limited Edition Ultramarine standard bearer but as the wasn't in the catalogue I doubt it can count. I may still do it for the "Know No Fear" events on the 18/02/2012.

Note the time required for this is only doable due to the Power of Airbrushes ;)

*not that I ever would anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chat with the local GW store manager and apparently you do bring in the 25 and use them in some sort of game.

So I have to decide what to make them as. As they aren't really for playing, and having looked at the original Battle of the Farm, I will go with:

2 tactical squads with flamers and missile launcher and sergeants with powerfists, and a 5 man devastator squad with a missile launcher and two heavy bolters (one normal and one FW), a very old metal marine with a multi-melta (I still miss their RT blast radius), with a segeant with a...you guessed it, a powerfist :lol:

I am using the limited edition GW mail order launch sergeant as a sergeant, who will be modified to look like Alessio Cortez from the 3rd edition SM codex, so I'll be decapitating the model.

And the mix of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th edition (with some FW MK VI) marines are nearly stripped so I'll probably start building them tomorrow...erm, later today B)

Let's see how you do, brother. Good luck.

Badly mate :P Not so much a case of luck but time constraints by stuff that has come up.

Well, with one thing or another I am just not going to have anywhere near enough time for this. Hospital stuff, brother up to scatter nan's ashes, friends coming to stay for another friends birthday (on the 24th). Trying to do all this and this KG25 stuff, well...the KG25 stuff just wasn't enjoyable..it was starting to feel stressful. And we do our hobby to relax.

What really drove it home was when doing some power fist guys, particularly the GW limited edition one who I decapitated and was turning into Alessio Cortez using Hurons head, I kept thinking how I'd rather do them at a proper pace as Doom Fists. Even the old metal guy who looks like the RT cover art but without the helmet.

gallery_27755_6936_237314.jpg

I even wanted to do some RTB01, shown scattered in the box with various other marines from over the years, as Doom Fists.

gallery_27755_6936_152304.jpg

So, I will. It is just that I will concentrate on my LPC Vow, and then my general WIPs. Quite a few of these guys and the ideas that had started to go into them will appear in another thread...elsewhen and otherwhere.

I have however arranged for a cake to be baked for the 25th and I will take a photo of that ;)

Right, I am going to fiddle with my Doom Fists termies for my Vow and enjoy myself.

Sorry to hear that you're not going to be able to go through with this cool little project, Marius. Hope all is well.

That said, I really like that lead figure, the limited edition one with Huron's head. Your conversions are always so characterful and they almost look GW authentic - a testament to your skills. :P

@Darth Potato: Bit off more than I could chew, something I think Olisredan could see coming, even if I couldn't (clearly he is a wiser man than I). As for my "skills", I do subtle conversions specifically so it requires as little skill as possible, and as little work as possible :D

However cutting off the helmet and using a...erm, a Dremmel bit in a small hand held power drill I think, meant I could do this. Something I have done before on old metal veterans to re-use them as squad sergeants, so I could utilise all those lovely Forgeworld early mark helms. In this case a face and not a hlem, as Lorenzen has pointed out I seem to have done no fleshy parts. I will be using a damaged MKIV veteran sergeant helm from FW, the RS Haas one, or the bloke that you use as your avatar, and have that lying damaged and discarded at his feet. Red helm, and white aquila, and if you have read "Know No Fear" and the reveal on the origins, meaning, and changing history of codex sergeant red helms you'll see why I'll never not be having red helms again.

He'll be the sergeant for my second sternguard squad, and the guy on the left (the modified actual metal sternguard sergeant) will have his head drilled out and probably a MKII put in there, and have his gun arm cut off and another attached facing a different direction, and he'll be my third sternguard sergeant.

Must stay focused on Vow...must stop rambling...must put this in Doom Fists WIP blog instead :)

Archived