Death-Company vs Veterans

FallenLion

So I going to buy some new minis for my BA army ;)

except I can't decide between Sternguard, Vanguard vets and Death-Company [assault or troop]

any helpful tips?

both on ascetics and use in games - I play against eldar and chaos filth and we both run foot heavy armies :)

thanks for any help

Do you mean aesthetics, how something is visually appealing, as opposed to ascetics, monks who have given up worldly pleasures? ;)

Aesthetics is entirely down to you. We cannot tell you what you like to look at.

In terms of what unit is more useful...that depends on what is in your army already.

Bear in mind that the DC box can also be modelled as BA Vanguard Vets, so that will save you some cash. In foot heavy armies, the heroic intervention will be a winner, as you have no transports that you have to bust. Get 5 vanguard, thunder hammer, 4 power weapons and nuke your opponents prized unit.

Do you mean aesthetics, how something is visually appealing, as opposed to ascetics, monks who have given up worldly pleasures? :P

Aesthetics is entirely down to you. We cannot tell you what you like to look at.

In terms of what unit is more useful...that depends on what is in your army already.

Bear in mind that the DC box can also be modelled as BA Vanguard Vets, so that will save you some cash. In foot heavy armies, the heroic intervention will be a winner, as you have no transports that you have to bust. Get 5 vanguard, thunder hammer, 4 power weapons and nuke your opponents prized unit.

oh dear spell checker at its worse there :cuss and yes I did mean aesthetics

thanks for the advice I shall get the DC box I will use the bitz for conversions xD I also don't like fine cast really harder to personalise my squads

For sterngaurd i use bitz from online sellers, like Terminator honour shoulder pads, etc. on DC bodies.

Honestly, the DC box is all we really need.

Normally, I would agree but I had bought so many of the DC boxes (to make Honor Guard, Vanguard, and assault marines) that for Sternguard I actually bought the Sternguard box! Nice models, though the DC are far more generically useful.

I think the DC box is a good choice : they look good and give you many nice bits for your other minis, and they are a strong unit when used wisely. :o

I bought a box of DC and a box of Sang Guard and used the pieces for my Van Vets and my regular assault guys. If you spread the bling, you get some great models.

Id put a vote behind the DC if i could choose one!

I have to agree with the others. The DC box can be used to make a host of models. I recently just made a Vanguard Vet squad myself using DC legs, and a mix of Sanguinary Guard and DC torsos. I try to keep my normal assault marines fairly vanilla however so it makes the actual DC and Vets look more impressive by comparison.

Althou I'll side with the majority, I really like the Veteran boxes. for my Vanguard I used bits from Assault Squad and DC, but I also used the Vanguard models, as I think those models are very nice and look awesome. I only had to cut off their plasma pistols and power weapons to switch them for bolt pistols, chainswords and lightning claws. I have to admint that I wouldn't be able to craft similar models by myself - my DIY Vanguard Vets look nice, but not so good as GW ones.

You can always combine several boxes as well to make more unique looking models. DC boxes are a good place to start because they come with so many flavorful BA bits. I just recently made a squad of 6 VV, and used parts from DC, SG, Command Squad, and Assault Terminator boxes. It certainly gave them a lot of character, and they definitely don't look like any of the other marines in my army.

I like this guy the best, although he's also the most static looking. His jump-pack will eventually match the others, he's just modelling a DC one at the moment because I ran out of SG packs. Still haven't decided whether I want the squad to run SG or DC packs.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/PH34R_M3H/th_Veterans008.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/PH34R_M3H/th_Veterans009.jpg

Here's the other 5 I made.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/PH34R_M3H/th_Veterans010.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/PH34R_M3H/th_Veterans011.jpg

And magnetized so I can weapon swap.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/PH34R_M3H/th_Veterans012.jpg

You can't really go to wrong with either box, the DC box definitely gives you a few more options, but if you use DC boxes for everything your army will end up looking very uniform eventually. That's why I try to make my RAS as basic as possible, while adding perhaps more spice than normal to my other troops like VV so they stand out by comparison.

Archived