Now you see them...

Fezington

So i'm entering into a doubles comp in april via my local GW and for my half of the deal i've decided to play the good old unsung heroes that are the Raptors. As befits their nature i'm going to be painting them up in a camo, flecktarn to be precise, and am looking to adapt the available minis to suit their 'feel'. I'm heading in to pick up the first batch of goodies tomorrow so what i'm hoping from you guys is suggestions on different ways i can 'stealth' them up without breaking the bank even if it is just a case of shaving off embellishments.

Heres what i'm gonna be working on...

- FW Raptors guy (need to scratch build, plastic components preferred, suggestions?)

- 5 Sternguard with combi meltas (possible FW iron armour or just bog standard GW minis?)

- 5 sniper scouts w/ HB (headswaps likely, suggestions?)

- Contemptor Dread w/ 2 plasma cannons and cyclone missile

- Drop Pod

- 2 double-melta speeders

The pod is the only bit i'm unsure of character wise, however i think once the enemy is disrupted then the drop-pod crashing down would scatter things. Anyway, initial images to follow so please drop suggestions on how to 'raptorise' my guys and i look forward to posting up the goodness tomorrow.

Iron armour doesn't seem to fit with their MO of sabotage, infiltration and ambush. If you're going to get any FW stuff then go for the corvus suits or even the Raven Guard set as the Raptors are from RG stock. If you're trying to save money then maybe get a regular dred and use the money for the Raven Guard vet upgrade set, captain Korvydae and maybe a pack of corvus marines too.

I like the Raptors, and I am looking forward to how you 'stealth' them up, so I can maybe steal plagiarise borrow some ideas. As for replacement Scout heads, I have used Pig-Iron Productions before, and they make some nice alternatives. If you live in the UK they are well worth checking out.

Good luck with the log!

I would make up some silenced boltguns for your Sternguard and stay away from the Iron armour for them, Corvus seems to fit them much better. As for Scout heads, Pig Iron Productions do good ones. The choice is up to you but the most common ones I've seen peope use are the HD. 6 Heavy Infantry Visored heads (and that's because they look excellent on Scouts, as seen here.)

Thanks so far guys. I was initially looking at the Iron armour for a few reasons. Firstly, Veterans generally have old gear and the heavy clunky look says that without a doubt. Secondly, I REALLY and i mean REALLY like the helmets. It's untrue how much. Corvus is deffo a better fit for them so i may cave in but i might perhaps sneak in a bit of maximus? It's understated beyond belief and could be more fun than the beakfest.

PigIron seems like a good deal for the scout heads but as it's a 'GW sanctioned' event i really need to be using GW components. Maybe push the boat out and get the FW IG hardened vet heads or just the catachan cmd sqd.

Good shout with the silenced bolters, i'll look for some smallish hollow plastic rod for that.

Keep the ideas coming, some good and helpful stuff so far.

If memory serves me correctly, the miniatures only need to be 75% Games Workshop parts, so as long as the majority of the Scouts are actually made of, you know, Scouts, you should be fine. They might have changed their policy, but maybe some tournament veterans will be able to confirm this or fix it.

Also, I can see your reasoning with the Iron armour, it is definitely one of my favourite marks as well. I suppose it might work well, and I think it would look good in the Raptors colours, and I guess even the Raptors need to bring something heavier to a firefight every now and again. Of course, I may be a bit biased for the Corvus since it's hands-down my favourite, but there's the Raven Guard Upgrade Kit as well in that style too, as mentioned. If you were wanting to save money somewhere Ron from From The Warp recently posted a blog on converting Mark VI Space Marines with minimal Green Stuff skill (he also did a post on painting Marines in camouflage, not sure if they have any camo in the Forgeworld books but it might help with the overall aesthetic of the force).

Quick Edit: Raptors have always seemed like a very Rogue Trader-esque army to me, especially since that's where they were first found (even if it was in the neon blue and yellow armour). I have a Space Marine Painting Guide lying around somewhere, from way back when, if you want me to take pictures of the markings, heraldry, colours etc. from those times and upload them to give you some ideas for your force or even just your Sternguard, I'd be more than happy to once I look out the guide.

Archived