Exitus Acta Probat

celes

Good Morrow gentlemen of the B+C, and welcome to my first post in the WIP forums.

This is a bit of an experiment for me, as my usual painting speed is best measured in cm/year and I thought that posting something and receiving some feedback may give me the impetus to actually get something done inside of a week. So last week I was going through some books kindly donated by a friend and fellow collector (along with a substantial collection of WD back issues), and found the old Codex: Assassins that came with issue 235. This put the idea of digging out the vindicare assassin I bought when said codex was released and giving it a new lease of life into my head.

gallery_42959_6326_296455.jpg

You can see form the image that my highlighting skill and my ability to mix colours were a little underdeveloped and of course if you'd said the word "shading" to me at that point I'd have given you nought but a blank uncomprehending stare. This was taken on Sunday, the rifle arm is serparate because, well, it fell off. Yeah, I didn't know what pinning was either.

The first step was stripping the paint off him, which was done with a 24-hour bath in methylated spirit followed by a deep-cleansing exfoliating scrub with an old toothbrush. Spa treatment completed, I removed his slotta-bar, threw away the old base and made a new one:

gallery_42959_6326_46453.jpg

Scenic, yah?

Next came the issue that bugged me the first time I put this guy together: the rifle's original silencer/flash suppressor. I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but mine came squished. Instead of a nice round barrel with coool looking vents in, I got something that doesn't look like it should be anywhere near a firearm, model or otherwise. So off it came, to be replaced with the silencer from a scout's sniper rifle I had left over. The arm was then pinned, glued and GSed into place, pins were put into his feet for attachment to his new base and finally I drilled out the barrels on both guns.

gallery_42959_6326_136666.jpg

And in Situ:

gallery_42959_6326_22171.jpg

Much more impressive now I think.

So, let me know what you guys all think, I need a boot in the arse so any feedback will be appreciated. Updates to follow.

Ok, now that my ISP has kindly re-connected me, I can furnish you with a small update. Here's a picture I took before I lost my internet access. I have made a lot of progress since this shot, I'm just waiting for daylight so I can take a decent one to show my you how things are now.

gallery_42959_6326_26292.jpg

Just base coats for now in Adeptus Battlegrey, Boltgun Metal, Tin Bitz, Mechrite Red and Dheneb Stone. The Black parts are a (roughly) 70/30 mix of Adeptus Battlegrey and Chaos Black. Not much to look at yet, but this should at least show the layout of the main colours. Hopefully you should be seeing a further update tomorrow.

Update time again.

A few washes and several highlight stages later, we have a nearly-complete Vindicare assassin.

gallery_42959_6326_104100.jpg

The synskin suit has been highlighted up from Adeptus Battlegrey through Codex Grey to Fortress Grey, the black is finished and the skulls need one more highlight of Skull White. I've left the base alone since the last update because most of it will be drybrushed, and I'm now thinking about extra details, freehand or camouflage that I can add to make him stand out a bit more. I need something to break up all that grey, so anyone got any advice they can give me?

Archived