Bikes

appiah4

I want them in my army. The two-wheeler kind.. But I don't know what to use? Scout Bikers? Marine Bikers? with Biker Priest? with Attack bike?

What configurations do you use, and how do you arm them? And obviously, how do they perform?

EDIT: I'm leaning towards Scout Bikers, 4-5 of them maybe, with astartes launchers, combi-melta and melta bombs for 1st turn tank or infantry bashing thanks to scout move. I'm also considering giving them Locator Beacons for teleporting my tactical terminators in later on..

Scoutbikes are a good choice, and their models are really cool! The astartes 'nade-launchers are quite nice I think, especially if you are able to get around a vehicle or strike in its rear, as you already mentioned. Maybe a Priest is a good choice, since their armour is only 4+.

I'd go for scoutbikers. They are cheaper and have interesting options and special rules. I ran a 5 man bike squad some years ago, either 2 meltaguns or 2 plasmaguns, and without a priest, they go down quite easily under small arms fire(even with T(5)! ). Scoutbikers are cheaper and you can field more of them, coping better with losses without losing effectivity.

Snorri

I painted up a bike squad many years ago including a converted librarian and attack bike. I rarely use them these days but it's nice to give them a run out every now and then. If I could be bothered to convert a priest on a bike then I'd probably use them more often as it increases the survivability no end.

The only bikes I use are also attack bikes. Cheap upgrade to a 24" range multimelta and it only costs 50 pts with 2 wounds =D

I usually run 2 to 3 of them. Either each bike running in its own squad to prevent last man standing or running 2 in 1 squad and 1 in its own squad. They are good distractions for your opponenent while still being a very good threat.

I was in a 1v1 against Tau with my BA and I deep striked Dante behind his two main tanks, popped one and the other boosted to run away - Right into my attack bikes who were hiding behind cover =D Smashed him up! 12" range for melta to be active. Just remember they are assets you can't be afraid to lose. Give a target, but only if you can still have a cover save on them. Because they got so close my opponent wasted 2 turns shooting at them and 2 more turns trying to assault them down. Meanwhile my Tanks and Deep Strike squads tore up the rest of him.

Attack bikes are epic.

Wherever I can I rock a 3man squad, 2 Multimeltas, 1 HB (for wound allocation/multirole purposes)

Theyre reactive, resilient and multi-functional. I cannot sing their praises more highly enough.

I ran a 245 point squad of bikers before too - 2 Plasguns, 1 Fist, 1 attched attack bike with MM and 5 bikers. I also rocked them with a priest on bike with PW. The squad was very, very effective - but had its limitations

For what it's worth, I run 2 MM attack bikes in my StormRaven list at 1500pts and I find them to be extremely competent units. They're great at harassing and threatening, a lot of times they force my enemy to react to the mere threat of them, forcing him to make a kinds of changes to his plan of execution. I usually run 1 up each flank, but have been contemplating running them as a squad of 2 for Kill Point considerations.

Question on that though: When you guys put together your lists and get say 2 squads of 1 attack bike each, do you allow yourself to flexibility to run those two bikes as a single squad if say you roll Annihilation as the game type? It makes no difference from a points standpoint, but is that shady business to run em as squad instead of individual units when it's more advantageous to?

Attack bikes are epic.

Wherever I can I rock a 3man squad, 2 Multimeltas, 1 HB (for wound allocation/multirole purposes)

Theyre reactive, resilient and multi-functional. I cannot sing their praises more highly enough.

I ran a 245 point squad of bikers before too - 2 Plasguns, 1 Fist, 1 attched attack bike with MM and 5 bikers. I also rocked them with a priest on bike with PW. The squad was very, very effective - but had its limitations

Hopefully I'm not getting this thread too far off course, but Morticon, what did your experience as far as limitations for that unit? I've been playing with the idea of a bike squad as a support unit / priest delivery system that looks something like: Biker Sarge w/ PW, Biker w/ meltagun, Biker w/ plasmagun, Biker w/ CCW, Attack Bike w/ MM, and a Biker Priest w/ CCW or PW, not sure.

Question on that though: When you guys put together your lists and get say 2 squads of 1 attack bike each, do you allow yourself to flexibility to run those two bikes as a single squad if say you roll Annihilation as the game type? It makes no difference from a points standpoint, but is that shady business to run em as squad instead of individual units when it's more advantageous to?

That's a big no-no. Your list must be finalized before rolling for mission type or deployment.

Either each bike running in its own squad to prevent last man standing

'Last man standing' was actually "Man Alone" tests, and they havent existed since 3rd edition, IIRC. So since ~2005. Units of 1 attack bikes are essentially fearless. if over 50% of the unit has been killed there is no unit left.

the other boosted to run away

Tau main tanks cannot boost (correctly called 'moving flat out'). If your Tau opponent moved a tank over 12", he was cheating.

Libby: bike (shield, blood lance)

5 Space Marine Bikers: x2 plasma, x1 power weapon

1 Attack Bike: multi-melta

I run the squad as a mobile cover and fire base support which my RAS units need. I run a priest in an RAS unit right behind them. Bikes turbo boost first turn and RAS run behind them. The bikes get a 3+/3++ cover / 4+ FnP save and the RAS hiding behind them get a 3+/4++ cover / 4+ FnP save. Basically the bikes act as mobile bunker/cover for my RAS for that vulnerable turn crossing the board. Next turn the bikes move 12" and engage targets like infantry/tanks/transports with double tapping plasma/blood lance/multi-melta. RAS unscreen to light up transports or infantry units and get FC bonus on the charge. Libby casts shield in the opponents turn to give a 3+/5++ cover to the bikes. The bikes typically get hosed with enemy fire or assaulted doing this but either way it leaves my RAS free and clear to do their job.

I've just started using these tactics so I've met with mixed results but I see great potential once I master using bikes. Including bikes in a BA army is like adding the mobile fire-base that BA so desperately need. I also typically include 3+ Land Speeders with missile launchers and heavy bolters in lists with my bikes and RAS. It has come as a surprise to many opponents that I can often out-maneuver AND out-shoot them at the start of the game. If they deal with my shooting it leaves my RAS clear to do the job, if they focus on my RAS I will have the guns to shoot units off of objectives and the whole time I can run circles around most opponents.

For what it's worth, I run 2 MM attack bikes in my StormRaven list at 1500pts and I find them to be extremely competent units. They're great at harassing and threatening, a lot of times they force my enemy to react to the mere threat of them, forcing him to make a kinds of changes to his plan of execution. I usually run 1 up each flank, but have been contemplating running them as a squad of 2 for Kill Point considerations.

Attack bikes are epic.

Hopefully I'm not getting this thread too far off course, but Morticon, what did your experience as far as limitations for that unit? I've been playing with the idea of a bike squad as a support unit / priest delivery system that looks something like: Biker Sarge w/ PW, Biker w/ meltagun, Biker w/ plasmagun, Biker w/ CCW, Attack Bike w/ MM, and a Biker Priest w/ CCW or PW, not sure.

You can set up your list to have 2 different attack bikes squads with 1 attack bike in it and run them next to each other though. They just wouldn't count as part of the same unit for targetting(firing or being fired at) or wound allocation. It is actually better than them being in a squad because there is no need to maintain unit cohesion or attack the same unit. It just takes up two fast attack vehicles choices.

I think that is true, can anybody confirm?

That unit came to 345 points. It put out an exceptional amount of firepower, and was a great unit on the initial charge. The problems/limitations came in two forms:

1. Protracted combat - the bikes only have a base of one attack. Everytime you lose one, you lose an expensive model (on average 50points a model). You need to get up close, unleash a hellfury of fire, and then know that with the charge from the priest and fist and 11 other standard attacks that you're going to clean up.

2. Priest cost. I play bikers aggressively as outriders. They hit flanks and take focus off my main army which usually comes up the center. More often than not, the rest of my list didnt have a priest. So, the list suffered a bit, and i over-relied on the unit. At 1500 and 1750 I despise putting more than one priest into a list. I may consider an HG in some builds, but if you've already got 345 in a list then thats a lot of non-scoring.

I would not advise against this unit build though - its very very strong. You just need to know how and when to use it with the rest of your army. To be able to put out 5x AP2 shots at 12" is great. Follow that up with 4 PW attacks on WS5, init5, S5 on the charge and then the fist attacks - you're likely to take out a full Tac squad on the charge after shooting.

I really like the attack bike, but usually have it as the upgrade to the bike squad (only have one model). The problem for me is the fast attack slots are squeezed by the Vanguard and the Baals. Means the scout bikes never get a look in. I use scouting and infiltration to get the scouts were I want them. I really wish all the first company were in the elite section and the Baals in heavy support. Annoying change.

Archived