Army Painter Color Primers

Brother Theseus

So do any of you have experience with both the Pure Red and Dragon Red? Which do you prefer for your Sons of Sanguinius? Are the shades different by a lot? I'm asking because I've started my army with Pure Red, but now am in possession of a can of Dragon Red. I want some opinions before I try it and lose my chance to possibly exchange it for Pure Red.

This may be influenced by the humid Florida weather, but I have found that pure red is a match for blood red if used on plastic models. Pure red on metal to me looked comically bright, and so I use dragon red for those special metal models. I haven't used either on finecast yet.

If you're looking for a deep crimson red dragon red is what you want. If you want a pure blood red force (convenient!) use pure red primer. It's simple for prime, drybrush blood red, wash, highlight. These primers save a lot of time.

All depends what kind or red you are going for.

I went dragon red then devlan mud over the top. I was going for a real dark red almost maroon.

Not a big fan of the bright red as it looks a but too cartoony for my tastes.

One thing I must say about blood angels. Even though their are lots of them around I don't think I have seen the same two shades of red.

I do prefer dragon red primer myself. Although I use it more as basecoat and first primer before adding more colors. I give them black wash or devlan mud wash afterwards and then dry brush with citadel blood red. The result is pretty good but I usually finish my blood angels with vallejo bloody red. Its nice vibrant color but without being too bright. I find dragon red suiting beautifully on my blood angels tanks. With light Devlan mut on crevicess its almost then ready for weathering, albeit next tank I will try my "Baal pattern camo" just for sake testing something new :angry:

Archived