'levels' of knowledge within the Dark Angels

Lonewolf86

Evening

In reading the codex and other background material it states that the higher up the DA organisation a marine is, the more will be revealed to them about the fallen. Which has got me thinking about what the average marine in the below categories will know.

1. Marine in the scouts or companies 3-9. They will know that SM can and do fall to chaos but that there is nothing unusual about the DA

2. SM in the Ravenwing. It is stated I believe that SM in the RW need to know more as they hunt the fallen so I imagine that they know that some 'chaos space marines' are of special interest to the DA but they do not know more than this.

3. The Deathwing/Masters/librarians/chaplains. This is where it gets more difficult for me and where some help from those more knowledgable would be good. How can the truth about the fallen be broken down into smaller chunks? The codex says that more of the truth is revealed as they progress but I'm having difficulty seeing how. Do they all just get told that a sizeable number of DA turned and that they must be tracked down? Is Luther mentioned to them as the instigator?

4. Grand Master Azrael. He alone knows of Luther's existence on The Rock. But no one save the Emperor knows that the Lion resides there too.

Am I right with my general assertions here? Can anyone shine a bit more light on the matter?

Yeah. That is pretty close to what there is known about the levels of knowledge. Beyond the watchers that is. The one SW master knows some, I think Blackmane.

The truth would be the more known about when they fell, that it was during the Heresy, how many fell, who fell and why and that that was the cause of Caliban being destroyed. Even the possibility that more DA have fallen since then (They have shown some Red Corsair fallen DA in green armor from GW. I think it was the 3rd edition CSM codex, just not sure if it was the 1st or second one from 3rd edition off hand.)

I am sure there is some more in depth knowledge on how that works known and not known, GW being secret, secret. :)

I like to view it as religion is in truth(if you believe that is).

Just as the Christians have the origins of the angels and their fall shrouded in mystery and we are told only general things and those are ingrained in superstition and dogma,it also happens in the chapter.

Lets see it from a marines perspective even before he gets inducted.

Future brother Mits is a tribal living on the 5th world of Piscina.The tribals there are been told about the great emperor that came from the stars a titan so mighty that united mankind across the universe and sacrificed himself to save them.He even sends his warriors of the clouds to take a few blessed ones with them to continue their fight against the darkness.No talk about chaos and stuff even civilized hive worlds depict the marines as true angels and know nothing of the those that turn to chaos.

Now the warriors come and recruit mits.He is made a scout and he learns about the great enemy and that the marines are fighting 10k years to defeat those who turned their back against the emperor the father of the space marines and a superior man not a god.

Sooner or later mits becomes a marine and the sermons in the reclusiam begin.Histories of brothers returned from bitter wars that found corruption and heresy and how they valiantly gave their lives to win back the honor of the chapter and such.

The battle continues his exploits and every week he learns a new story a mystical path warriors of the past walked to find death and betrayal only to turn it into victory at the very last moment.

And then the unavoidable contact with chaos comes.He sees them for the first time the very hideous once human monsters that the chaplains spoke of.He kills them as he was instructed no mercy no remorse.He doesnt even hear their lies such is his devotion.But the chaplains have captured one alive and carried him away in secrecy.He doesnt question,he doesnt speak for he knows the chapters truth.From that day on he feels the shadows come alive.

He hears muted sounds and whispers in the dark,he is been watched...

Will continue this soon

interesting topic.

Now let's see:

1. Marine in the scouts or companies 3-9. They will know that SM can and do fall to chaos but that there is nothing unusual about the DA

Generally speaking this is correct. However it is not unheard of to have Veteran Sergeants or other senior individuals that have become members of the DW but not the 1st Comp. This is largely 3rd ed. legacy and reinforces the whole paranoia and "Inner Circle has eyes and ears everywhere" theme.

2. SM in the Ravenwing. It is stated I believe that SM in the RW need to know more as they hunt the fallen so I imagine that they know that some 'chaos space marines' are of special interest to the DA but they do not know more than this.

The RW do not know more about the Fallen. The first level of initiation is DW. What they do however is to have stronger phycho-conditioning and considerably larger resistance to "lies" of traitors. Now if you are a member of DW AND Rw then it's another matter...

3. The Deathwing/Masters/librarians/chaplains. This is where it gets more difficult for me and where some help from those more knowledgable would be good. How can the truth about the fallen be broken down into smaller chunks? The codex says that more of the truth is revealed as they progress but I'm having difficulty seeing how. Do they all just get told that a sizeable number of DA turned and that they must be tracked down? Is Luther mentioned to them as the instigator?

The history of the Unforgiven is a long and eventful one. In the course of centuries a number of incidents have happened. If you are aware of the "big" secret of the Fall you are not automatically aware of all that has transpired - not all the pieces of the puzzle are known. You don't know for example the records of past interrogations or the events that led to the arrest of a particular fallen. Nor do you know of the events on Caliban, the fate of Luther or the Lion. Are all the Fallen Chaos worshippers? Do some of them see themselves as loyal still? What about Cypher and the Sword he's carrying? There is also the handling of the relations with the Imperium. Which actions did the DA abandon and at what cost to humanity? The latter is also the most challenging for a DA to accept. One has to be completely steeled in his determination to pursue the hidden agenda. Anyways that's what popped in mind...

4. Grand Master Azrael. He alone knows of Luther's existence on The Rock. But no one save the Emperor knows that the Lion resides there too.

True.

Thanks for the replies.

Captain Semper I had forgotten Cypher (heresy I know brother, forgive me). Would you imagine that his existence is known by only the grand masters and upper echelons of the inner circle then?

With regards to the fate of Caliban how is this explained to the average SM? They would see a giant asteroid extensively modified but with a presumably severely damaged fortress monastery on the top that no one is allowed onto. Many would wonder how that got there wouldn't they?

I'm looking to perhaps write a story about the dark angels after ensuring I am as up to date with fluff as I can be. In your opinion who has the authority to destroy imperium forces to protect the secret? Veteran Deathwing Sergeants? Librarians and Chaplains? Or a decision based on the council of whoever is there at the time and in the know? You see my story involves a remnant of Caliban or a small vessel belonging to the soon to be fallen, (that was lost in the warp storm that engulfed Caliban) that falls out the warp 10,000 years later. It is discovered by the Adeptus Mechanicus before the DA come across it. The tech priests become suspicious of its origin and the DAs keen interest in it. Therefore a decision is made by the small DA force (which includes an interrogator chaplain, a low ranking librarian and a veteran Deathwing Sergeant) afte recovering a key artifact to destroy all evidence. Is this feasible?

interesting topic.

The RW do not know more about the Fallen. The first level of initiation is DW. What they do however is to have stronger phycho-conditioning and considerably larger resistance to "lies" of traitors. Now if you are a member of DW AND Rw then it's another matter...

It is stated in the current Codex that "Although only the company's highest ranked officers know it, the Ravenwing's primary role is to hunt down and capture the Fallen Dark Angels. Therefore, the members of the 2nd company are granted limited knowledge of the secrets of the Dark Angels - much more than the 3rd to 10th companies, but far less than the Deathwing and the Inner Circle. Intelligence is gathered, leads tracked down and word passed back to the Chapter's shadowy masters. Then, the order is given, the target assigned, and the Ravenwing descend upon their victim." pg. 17. second paragraph.

So it depends on how you take that. It can mean they know a bit more about the Fallen but it may mean they just know that the CSM they are getting is of consequence to the DA. It does, to me, kind of imply they know a teeny, tiny bit about them but still very little. It doesn't say that they don't know that they are hunting down Fallen DA.

There was always a point of awkwardness with how to treat RW. As it happens it assists in the capturing of the fallen. This automatically creates a backgound anomaly. How can they assist and be completely oblivious to the secrets? So GW comes up with the quote above which is vague enough to accommodate all theories. Bottom line is, RW is not a circle of knowledge. It never has been. One has to be DW to know about the Fallen.

In fact the wording of the passage you quote implies that companies 3-10 also have knowledge of the secrets...

My interpretation is that RW has more DW members in it's ranks than the average battle/reserve company. That's how they are more informed (collectively as a company not individually as troopers) about the secrets of the Chapter. Feel free to dispute that, but is better than saying that every member of the RW is "in the know". This rationale also covers the implied knowledge of Companies 3-10. it's just the DW members that lurk in the Company. In the 3rd it could be something like every other sergeant (say 5% of total stregth) whereas in RW it could be every sergeant (10%). Again it's just my theory to make sense of the quoted passage. It also makes sense for RW sergeants to be able to communicate and coordinate actions while being "in the know" without the simple troopers knowing at thing!

Or you can outright ignore is as a bad moment in Codex writing and focus on the later paragraphs (same page- 17) that summarize to my second point (the one you quote).

This is possibly slightly off-topic, but I have always figured that we don't necessarily know everything about the Dark Angels.

That is to say; there are secrets within secrets and the story we're told in the codex is not everything there is to know. So our little Grand Master minis probably know more (at least, way more details) than we do about the nature of the schism and the history of the fallen.

I might be completely off my rock(er) but it's the only way I can make sense of the several layers of initiation. I mean, the basic story is pretty hard to break into chunks in a meaningful way.

Take that as you will :cuss

All fallen space marines are vile, debased heretics, renegades and traitors.

It still doesn't explicitly state they don't know they go after Fallen Dark Angels or at least that they are going after 10,000 year old DA that fell. It just states, what I had quoted, which was the Higher Ranking members of the RW know their Primary role is going after the Fallen and that the RW knows a little bit more about the history of the DA than the lower companies but still far less than the 1st company and Inner Circle. Yeah the codex itself contradicts itself many times because only DW and up are to be privy to that knowledge, then they say the higher ranking members of the RW know their role is to primarily get the Fallen. As GW does it's best to make people not really know too much about the DA background specifics or more accurately, make it so there can be many interpretations on what is known.

Also for the current codex it states every member of the DW fights in TDA (Inner Circle is there own thing as they are the heads,) so they couldn't be in the RW. With the Current codex that is. I know in 3rd that could be held true with Srgts having Terminator Honors, but in the current codex it isn't.

Which makes go, to as I said, it depends on how you want to take it. And now pointing it out, they, GW, purposely makes it hard to figure this out. It's just one of the many Grey areas within the DA background.

So, Semper, I do apologize if it seemed I was trying to say you were wrong. It was more that I was trying to say that it's convoluted, I think that's word I am looking for, the current fluff and how to interpret it. Which I think we are both saying... and I didn't rightly state that earlier. I guess I like pointing out the contradictory spots in our Codex even though that is why we all love it I think, the convoluted background that can be taken so many ways and our Dark History.

The philosophical debates about a fake game :D

and yeah, Antarius, I agree. I think I said something along that line at the end of my first post on this thread :lol: GW being secret, secret.

I hope that when they make the new DA codex, they make certain things, like this part, not so anomaly/contradictory filled but still not tell everything. I like that as part of the fluff that DA may be kinda fallen and not really know it. I know that's contradictory in itself but, you know, I don't really need to know if Lion fell or not per say :D

Yes :yes: :D

It still doesn't explicitly state they don't know they go after Fallen Dark Angels or at least that they are going after 10,000 year old DA that fell. It just states, what I had quoted, which was the Higher Ranking members of the RW know their Primary role is going after the Fallen and that the RW knows a little bit more about the history of the DA than the lower companies but still far less than the 1st company and Inner Circle.

That in itself means two things:

1. The higher ranking members of the RW are in the know. What is a higher ranking member in a DA Company? Master (Inner Circle member anyway). Chaplain? OK make him Interrogator – makes sense anyway… Who else? I’d say sergeants. I mean there is no one else anyway to hold rank seniority. So it makes sense that all the Veteran Sergeants of the RW are also DW members. And that way, the RW as a body has increased knowledge of the DA secrets while the bulk (90%) of the company is in fact oblivious to it. It will also make logistics easier for the overstretched(?) 2nd Comp. as the Master can pick any squad to do a “sensitive” mission in the knowledge that its leader will take care of things…

2. It implies that Companies 3-10 also have some knowledge of the DA secrets. I’d say that, again, we are talking collective knowledge as a Company. How is this achieved? Well by introducing DW members in the leadership of individual squads. Obviously not as many as in the RW (where having all veteran sergeants inducted seems plausible) but a smaller percentage – say every other sergeant or something. That way you get 5% of the troops or less “in the know” and if there is a need to conduct a “delicate” operation they can be the ones to see it through.

Yeah the codex itself contradicts itself many times because only DW and up are to be privy to that knowledge, then they say the higher ranking members of the RW know their role is to primarily get the Fallen.

Because the higher ranking members of the RW are also DW.

Also for the current codex it states every member of the DW fights in TDA (Inner Circle is there own thing as they are the heads,) so they couldn't be in the RW. With the Current codex that is. I know in 3rd that could be held true with Srgts having Terminator Honors, but in the current codex it isn't.

In the 3rd Ed. the Sergeants could indeed get upgraded to become DW (I don’t think it was the terminator honors that did it though – there was a further upgrade at 5pts to make them stubborn – don’t have the book handy though). Furthermore in Gav Thorpe’s “Angels of Darkness” we get an Apothecary who is Inner Circle (no less)! To me this works as follows: There are two distinct things: Firstly is the 1st Company (aka DW) that all its members are inducted in the DW. They only fight in Terminator armour. Secondly you get DW as in a Circle of knowledge that extends outside the 1st Company. These individuals do not advertise the fact that they are DW members (if Nestor is anything to go by) but they serve in the battle/reserve companies and act as the eyes and ears of the Inner Circle. These guys are not of course in Terminator armor because they are not 1st Company.

This is one of the best things that 3rd Edition allowed for and frankly it has not been retconned – so as far I’m concerned it still stands. The fact that there is not an explicit rule in the dex does not erase (in my view) already established background that (on top of everything else) still works…

Which makes go, to as I said, it depends on how you want to take it. And now pointing it out, they, GW, purposely makes it hard to figure this out. It's just one of the many Grey areas within the DA background.

We are in agreement here. GW could make DAs internal structure more clear to us. Well 6th edition is at the gates and if current rumors have any substance, our Codex will be in before Summer! Let’s see how they are going to treat us (both rules/background wise - not tomention model wise :D).

So, Semper, I do apologize if it seemed I was trying to say you were wrong. It was more that I was trying to say that it's convoluted, I think that's word I am looking for, the current fluff and how to interpret it. Which I think we are both saying... and I didn't rightly state that earlier. I guess I like pointing out the contradictory spots in our Codex even though that is why we all love it I think, the convoluted background that can be taken so many ways and our Dark History.

The philosophical debates about a fake game :D

Indeed! It’s called escapism and I love it – especially when reality is so depressing over here… My rationale explains all the lose ends in the background so far without taking any liberties with the existing fluff, so I’m sticking to it. :D

I hope that when they make the new DA codex, they make certain things, like this part, not so anomaly/contradictory filled but still not tell everything. I like that as part of the fluff that DA may be kinda fallen and not really know it. I know that's contradictory in itself but, you know, I don't really need to know if Lion fell or not per say :D

Well as I said, if current rumors hold any truth our codex could be (dare I say it?) next! :o

It still doesn't explicitly state they don't know they go after Fallen Dark Angels or at least that they are going after 10,000 year old DA that fell.

Emphasis of mine.

That's how I interpret the blurb in the Codex too. They are told to capture the renegade Dark Angel(s). Because the RW members are chosen from exceptionaly 'deaf' individuals, processed and then told not to listen to any lies and deceptions of the debased and vile traitors, the secret of true Fallen is safe.

~NightrawenII.

I'm looking to perhaps write a story about the dark angels after ensuring I am as up to date with fluff as I can be. In your opinion who has the authority to destroy imperium forces to protect the secret? Veteran Deathwing Sergeants? Librarians and Chaplains? Or a decision based on the council of whoever is there at the time and in the know? You see my story involves a remnant of Caliban or a small vessel belonging to the soon to be fallen, (that was lost in the warp storm that engulfed Caliban) that falls out the warp 10,000 years later. It is discovered by the Adeptus Mechanicus before the DA come across it. The tech priests become suspicious of its origin and the DAs keen interest in it. Therefore a decision is made by the small DA force (which includes an interrogator chaplain, a low ranking librarian and a veteran Deathwing Sergeant) afte recovering a key artifact to destroy all evidence. Is this feasible?

Any thoughts on this?

I hope the new codex clarifies a few things as well. I'd like to see the company veterans developed more. I see them as a group of between 5-10 marines per company that are distinct from the 6 tac, 2 assault, 2 dev squads. They either undertake missions as a squad or are used to form honour guards perhaps. The Inner Circle keeps a close eye on these groups as new Deathwing are most commonly taken from these veterans. Whilst they are company veterans they can be watched from afar in order to decide whether they are capable and trustworthy enough.

The Inner Circle keeps a close eye on these groups as new Deathwing are most commonly taken from these veterans. Whilst they are company veterans they can be watched from afar in order to decide whether they are capable and trustworthy enough.

Agreed.

The Deathwing members of my WIP battle company are the command squad and sargents of the squads, with tactical squad 1 being the "company veterans", ie those initiates worthy of battlefield recognition, but not "Deathwing" knowledge... yet. On the same subject, my "company champion" is not a Deathwing member as I believe that battlefield prowess is not all that is necessary for promotion to the Deathwing. You dont have to be the strongest in mind to be the most skilled swordsman!

It might seem with this that the company is Deathwing heavy, but you never know when a squad is assigned on a mission where you stumble upon a member of the "Fallen", and I believe the unforgiven are that paranoid that they will make sure no normal battle brother is trusted with such an encounter without Deathwing presence.

Just my take on the whole issue!

Smellyfox

Yeah the Terminator honors was being the Vet Srgt. and they could get stubborn with +5 points marking them as DW inducted. It's just one of those silly things within the current codex, where it seems implied that they don't let the DW out of the DW so no one finds out that's not supposed to find out. And it does seem to imply 3rd-10th know a bit, too.

Stupid GW and all their implyingness, confusion and back stepping!

I mean there is the instance where it states techmarines are not allowed to be in the DW/inner Circle and then they say that the Master of the Forge is in the inner Circle with limited knowledge because he needs to repair the machines in the dark, dank, secret, underneath....... :)

Chaplains. A funny thing is with the current codex (the 3rd edition said all DA chaplains were Int-Chaps,) it kind of implies Chaplains don't know about the Fall of Caliban that much. (I had originally thought all Chaps knew... Ya know? Mainly because I am thinking, I was still thinking with the 3rd edition, that all of them were Int-chaps in the back of my head.) Only the Interrogator-Chaplains do with how it's presented. and that's how the Chaplains become Int-chaps is when they see/hear too much and then the inner circle casts verdict on them if they are fit to be in it. :lol: If not they are mind scrubbed or worse :)

All the silly things they do to make it all muddled for people trying to figure this stuff out. Stupid GW!

I just want my Plasma's with plasmas with plasmas attached to them :lol:

I also love the picture in our current codex that shows an Inquisitor in Lion gear fighting with the DA..... It's near the back next to the DA army list page 77. I thought we didn't want the Inquisition near us?

I am glad that in the books(novels) they've shown more about the marines who are on the inside but no one knows. I keep forgetting about them and go with the codex. I have the DA codecies at ready way more often then the novels. I know, I know. Bad, brother marine, bad. :lol: :lol:

Semper, the part where you said "My rationale explains all the loose ends in the background so far without taking any liberties with the existing fluff, so I’m sticking to it. :D ," made me smile B)

The who has authority to do that would really come down to who is in charge at the time and if they can't get a hold of a higher rank, I would think, Lonewolf86. So with my thought that would seem plausible.

Any thoughts on this?

A basic characteristic of the "State within the State" theme is that even lowly officials take it upon themselves to maintain the regime. If a trustworthy superior is in the vincinity then they'd probably ask him and seek guidance but if not then they take it upon themselves to do the "right" thing. The only moral compass is what reception they'd expect to find when back in the Rock. If they feel their actions have the blessing of the Inner Circle they'll do whatever to protect their secrets. So I'd say go ahead the take action against other Imperial institutions as "an interrogator chaplain, a low ranking librarian and a veteran Deathwing Sergeant" carry enough authority between them to silence any Mechanicum detachment.

I hope the new codex clarifies a few things as well. I'd like to see the company veterans developed more. I see them as a group of between 5-10 marines per company that are distinct from the 6 tac, 2 assault, 2 dev squads. They either undertake missions as a squad or are used to form honour guards perhaps. The Inner Circle keeps a close eye on these groups as new Deathwing are most commonly taken from these veterans. Whilst they are company veterans they can be watched from afar in order to decide whether they are capable and trustworthy enough.

I agree. Company Veterans have a lot of potential, both with their tactical role (please give them an option of jump packs please, pleeeeeease) as well as their role in the convoluted internal power structure of the DAs. Here's to hoping...

It might seem with this that the company is Deathwing heavy, but you never know when a squad is assigned on a mission where you stumble upon a member of the "Fallen", and I believe the unforgiven are that paranoid that they will make sure no normal battle brother is trusted with such an encounter without Deathwing presence.

I like your take Smellyfox. And I agree that battlefield prowess does not necessarily qualify someone for DW knowledge. However I'm not sure I'd want every Vet. Sergeant being DW member in a Greenwing company. I just want them to be more scarce... Personal taste here - anything goes really...

I mean there is the instance where it states techmarines are not allowed to be in the DW/inner Circle and then they say that the Master of the Forge is in the inner Circle with limited knowledge because he needs to repair the machines in the dark, dank, secret, underneath....... :)

I know. I don't like that either. It's like they make a statememnt (Techmarines aren't DW material by definition) and then they take it back by allowing their most senior member into the club... So an exception. I dislike that because in my view DAs do not care much for exceptions. "Never Forget, Never Forgive" anyone?

Chaplains. A funny thing is with the current codex (the 3rd edition said all DA chaplains were Int-Chaps,) it kind of implies Chaplains don't know about the Fall of Caliban that much. (I had originally thought all Chaps knew... Ya know? Mainly because I am thinking, I was still thinking with the 3rd edition, that all of them were Int-chaps in the back of my head.) Only the Interrogator-Chaplains do with how it's presented. and that's how the Chaplains become Int-chaps is when they see/hear too much and then the inner circle casts verdict on them if they are fit to be in it. :lol: If not they are mind scrubbed or worse :)

We had an interesting discussion some time ago (linky) about Masters and Grand Masters. There the issue of Chaplains popped up and there was the following issue: As it stands now, Chaplains do not appear to have a gradual progression. They jump form green-marine status to Inner Circle status exposing themselves to the lies and truths of any Fallen! And we know the Fallen are powerful individuals - both in terms of combat prowess and intellectually. Something does not add-up here.

I'd say Chaplains (like everybody else) should be going from being green, to DW, to the Inner Circle (thus becoming Interrogators). Which means you get Termie Chaplains that are not Interrogators. But they are DW. Just not Inner Circle yet (if ever). Anyway that makes the most sense to me.

I am glad that in the books(novels) they've shown more about the marines who are on the inside but no one knows. I keep forgetting about them and go with the codex. I have the DA codecies at ready way more often then the novels. I know, I know. Bad, brother marine, bad. :lol: :lol:

Not bad... You just deprive yourself from a wealth of GW sanctioned information. Which is a pity because there are some cool characters there - and not always the protagonists!

Semper, the part where you said "My rationale explains all the loose ends in the background so far without taking any liberties with the existing fluff, so I’m sticking to it. :D ," made me smile B)

Well keeping sane is a big task in its own right :lol:

The who has authority to do that would really come down to who is in charge at the time and if they can't get a hold of a higher rank, I would think, Lonewolf86. So with my thought that would seem plausible.

Agreed! As I said above I beleive that every member of the DW will ultimately take it upon himself to uphold the secrerts of the DAs and in the absence of higher officials he has all the authority he needs.

Any thoughts on this.

Hmmm...

#A I would say, ALL Deathwing members know the importance of the secret being... well secret. So, I think anyone of them would do what the Inner Circle expects of them to do. When I'm at it... You don't need to kill anyone in fact. The Fall of Caliban is ensnared with so much false, half-truths and cover-up tales that it shouldn't be problem for DA with silver tongue to give some clever explanations of situation.

#B If the ship belonged to Dark Angels, then there would be a lot of iconography and technically the Dark Angels should demand it back, since it's their (lost) property.

#C The ship was caught in warpstorm. - What about the Fallen? Are they dead or still alive? With the warpstorm in play it's possible for them to be alive, the time flows strangely in the warp.

IIRC, in the Bloodquest, the captain Leonatos&bros come across a ship graveyard. When they are exploring some of the wrecks, they are attacked by the remnants of the original crew. Long story short, these guy are heavily mutated from the exposure to energies of warp and centuries of canibalism.

You could do something similar, the fallen(s) has turned into voracious beast, who lurks in the depths of ship and prey on the explorator parties of Admech. DA cadre is sent to put a stop to this and destroy all the possible evidence of the Fall. Just a thought.

~NightrawenII.

Archived