Sergeant Culln, Forge World rules

The Colossus

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I want to do a small Red Scorpions force, to field as part of a multi-player apoc game. I only have the SM update from forge world, so this may be covered in the books, but although Culln is stated to be Jump Infantry, and is an upgrade for a Vanguard Vet squad, he doesn't have a jump pack. Is this purchased from the Vanguard Vet unit entry, or does this mean, ala Telion, that he cannot take any more wargear?

I only ask, as everything is strict WYSIWYG. Cheers in advance. :)

Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I want to do a small Red Scorpions force, to field as part of a multi-player apoc game. I only have the SM update from forge world, so this may be covered in the books, but although Culln is stated to be Jump Infantry, and is an upgrade for a Vanguard Vet squad, he doesn't have a jump pack. Is this purchased from the Vanguard Vet unit entry, or does this mean, ala Telion, that he cannot take any more wargear?

I only ask, as everything is strict WYSIWYG. Cheers in advance. ^_^

Generally a special character can not buy any wargear unless it is specifically listed in his unit entry/options. That said, if he's listed as "Jump Infatry" he doesn't have to buy a Jump Pack.

He's a unit upgrade for the Sergeant. It has all his other gear listed, but no jump pack. The vanguard vet unit entry in CSM states they are "infantry" and if you buy them jump packs, they become jump infantry. Culln is already jump infantry, but doesn't have a jump pack listed in his wargear.

The Forge World website shows him with a jump pack.

Maybe it'll be easier to rethink my plans...

As jump infantry he already moves 12" and ignores terrain hes not landing in. While a jump-pack can provide the rules to allow an otherwise infantry-type model to become a jump-infantry-type model he doesnt need it.

The jump pack would be superfluous. It doesnt change anything because his unit type is already labeled properly.

I know that sounds odd, but if you take out the fluff and just look at the rules it all lines up, and the typo from FW about wether or not he has a jump pack doesnt have to ruin your game.

As jump infantry he already moves 12" and ignores terrain hes not landing in. While a jump-pack can provide the rules to allow an otherwise infantry-type model to become a jump-infantry-type model he doesnt need it.

The jump pack would be superfluous. It doesnt change anything because his unit type is already labeled properly.

I know that sounds odd, but if you take out the fluff and just look at the rules it all lines up, and the typo from FW about wether or not he has a jump pack doesnt have to ruin your game.

In other words, because he has the "Jump Infantry" unit type, you can put a jump pack, wings, etc. onto the model and you're still in perfect accordance with WYSIWYG.

I wish I'd thought of it like this. Woulda saved me some mighty thinking time.

On a related note, does this subsequently mean he wouldn't be able to lead a unit of vanguard vets on foot?

Not at all. He has the Jump Infantry type, but they don't, so the unit moves at the speed of the slowest model- 6"- and follows all of the rules for nomal Infantry, because Jump Infantry can choose to move as Infantry at any time.

When Culln is alone- if the rest of his unit has died- then he can move his 12" speed.

However, this does mean that a Vanguard unit with Culln cannot embark a Rhino, Razorback, Land Raider, etc, since the only vehicle that I'm aware of that JI can be inside is a Stormraven.

Not at all. He has the Jump Infantry type, but they don't, so the unit moves at the speed of the slowest model- 6"- and follows all of the rules for nomal Infantry, because Jump Infantry can choose to move as Infantry at any time.

When Culln is alone- if the rest of his unit has died- then he can move his 12" speed.

However, this does mean that a Vanguard unit with Culln cannot embark a Rhino, Razorback, Land Raider, etc, since the only vehicle that I'm aware of that JI can be inside is a Stormraven.

I missed the bit about transports off my post dammnit, I wrote it but typed the sentence and rewrote it without the transport. Silly me. My brain is not with it today haha. Anyway, this answers my question, and I now go to model the mysterious flying Culln. ;)

I missed the bit about transports off my post dammnit, I wrote it but typed the sentence and rewrote it without the transport. Silly me. My brain is not with it today haha. Anyway, this answers my question, and I now go to model the mysterious flying Culln. :)

Atleast he doesnt sparkle <_<

I missed the bit about transports off my post dammnit, I wrote it but typed the sentence and rewrote it without the transport. Silly me. My brain is not with it today haha. Anyway, this answers my question, and I now go to model the mysterious flying Culln. ;)

Atleast he doesnt sparkle ;)

:tu:

Edit: Reason: Answered my own question.

Actually, Culln is an upgrade character, so he would get a jump pack if the whole squad takes the option, paying the same points. You can find the updated rules for Sergeant Culln here. The entry there should really list his type as "infantry," just like the Vanguard Veteran Squad, but that's an issue to address with Forge World. The squad won't be able to move as jump infantry unless everyone is given a jump pack, and you can't piecemeal the jump pack upgrade, so the problem with Culln's unit type shouldn't really be an issue unless the rest of the squad is wiped out and Culln suddenly develops the mysterious ability to leap tall obstacles in a single bound.

Thats the stats I used for the basis of my comments BT, as I only have the first siege of vraks, and IIRC his origonal rules were found in the third installment.

The way your talking about would be a perfectly valid way to play it, depending on how OCD his tournament organizer is.... wich brings us back to the old OR standby- talk to the people you play with.

To be honest, this is just a sympton of where the rules for Charcaters (upgrade or otherwise) fall down. GW just don't detail this well enough.

It's the same problem Telion used to have (Stealth and Camo Cloaks), and is the same problem Thawn has. Thawn doesn't list Psybolt Ammuntion as part of his wargear, yet his squad can purchase it. Does Thawn have Psybolts or not?

It's not only wargear that needs to be more detailed, but special rules (not USRs) as well.

Archived