Deathwing Suggestions

librisrouge

3) How many Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield guys would you pack per squad? I'm thinking about two. Any more and I loose too many guns and I have enough horde players ('nids and orcs) around here to mandate taking Storm Bolters to soften things up.

I usually use 2 TH/SS. One on my Sarg and one on a normal terminator. This way I get to allocate the wounds better. Sarg / THSS / Special weapons / 2 left overs

just to point out, the sargeant with THSS is armed exactly the same as the regular THSS, so it's not a separate wound group. in those squads you have 2xTHSS/heavy weapon/2 dudesmen to allocate to.

Not understanding the love for the ps/sb in here. In my mind it's the worst possible option for the sargeant. you only have 5 man squads. yes the sword is I4, but it's also S4 and going at the same initiative as most people you'll fight. the pf/cf/th is almost guarenteed to generate a wound after hits, the power sword does not. I'd take TLC over pw/sb any day.

as to the apoth/banner squad. the banner is the first thing to go if i need to trim points. I also never deploy belial or my chaplain with that squad if they have the banner simply because they don't need it. That squad on the charge generates just over 8 wounds against anything without an invunerable, and just over 6 when not charging. all of which should be ID to anything T4 or below. to add belial or the chaplain to that squad is an example of "win more" fallacy. I can see it if you're running multiple land raiders, but even then, i'd rather have 3 dangerous squads than 1 OMG:cussBBQ deadly squad. spreads your threat a little. The way deathwing squads should support each other in a phalanx, if you need to hammer an opponent's big rock unit, you should be able to throw 2 squads and at least 1 character at them.

3) How many Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield guys would you pack per squad? I'm thinking about two. Any more and I loose too many guns and I have enough horde players ('nids and orcs) around here to mandate taking Storm Bolters to soften things up.

I usually use 2 TH/SS. One on my Sarg and one on a normal terminator. This way I get to allocate the wounds better. Sarg / THSS / Special weapons / 2 left overs

just to point out, the sargeant with THSS is armed exactly the same as the regular THSS, so it's not a separate wound group. in those squads you have 2xTHSS/heavy weapon/2 dudesmen to allocate to.

Yea, I remember this conversation coming up on here before and that is the overall ruling. The key term on page 25 of the rulebook is "in gaming terms". Though the Sarge has a separate profile, it is exactly the same as the rest of his unit. The label of the profile has no bearing on the game. And so, if he wields the same weapon as any other model in that unit, he is grouped with them.

If you listen to only one piece of advice today, make it the piece about the Standard and Apothecary. Pay the points for both and stick them in a Crusader with Belial because i promise you, they will mince ANYTHING they hit. My regular opponent is a Blood Angel, and even he is afraid of that unit. The psychological damage a unit can do is often as important as the physical damage.

As stated before add an interrogator chaplain to this. it makes one hell of a deathstar unit. 11 I5 attacks with rerolls will thin out most enemy units and increase survivability.

I personally take a few land raiders in my d-wing. I find them very useful though a bit over-priced. I have several friends that play foot d-wing and I beat them every time.

Beware the Space Elves of both kinds though when you have those LRs... lances can do a number on them.

So can melta, so can scarabs, so can rail guns, so can MC's.......

The crazy deathstar unit loaded in a raider list is a phase everyone goes through playing deathwing. It is by far not the best choice if you plan on playing competitively though.

I hate rail guns too. Yah landraiders are tough but not invincible.

I usually take at least two. 1 crusader for balial, chaplain, and hq squad. 1 vanilla LR for second CC squad. Then the rest of my terminators generally more shooty ones walk.

Here is a list that works great for me.

HQ

Balial w/ TLC

Int. Chap w/ combi plas

Troop

5 terms w/ banner, FNP, 2xTLC, 2xTHSS,1 HF&CF(with balial and chap in crusader)

5 terms w/ 3xTHSS,1xTLC, 1 SB&CF, CML (in vanilla LR)

5 terms w/ 2xTHSS, 1 SB&PW, 1 SB&PF, 1 SB&CF, CML(on hammer)

5 terms w/ 2xTHSS, 1 SB&PW, 1 SB&PF, 1 AC&CF

Heavy

LR crusader

Vanilla LR

I dont have my dex with me but that should be around 1800 pts. Its pure deathwing.

Beware the Space Elves of both kinds though when you have those LRs... lances can do a number on them.

So can melta, so can scarabs, so can rail guns, so can MC's.......

The crazy deathstar unit loaded in a raider list is a phase everyone goes through playing deathwing. It is by far not the best choice if you plan on playing competitively though.

gonna +1 to this.

While the Belial+Chaplain+Banner Squad will mince a lot of stuff charging out of a land raider, it is very easy to counter.

A better option would be belial+squad+raider, banner/apoth squad+raider and chaplain+squad+raider

all of those squads should have cyclones and a mix of THSS and TLC. Now you have 3 viable threats rather than one huge threat.

in reality, there are few armies that are scared of 5 terminators. Even 5 terminators with a character will ruffle only a few feathers.

The true strength of the Deathwing is putting 25 2+ saves on the table, with some 3++ thrown in so they are very resiliant to incoming fire. the rest of your points going into fire support rather than land raiders is outstanding.

If we had access to mortis dreadnoughts, i'd say 3 tl autocannon dreads + 5 termi squads pushes the land raider lists further down the pile.

Once those land raiders are gone (and it only takes a couple of suicidal landspeeders/attack bikes/any other melta delivery unit), you have 17 walking terminators. not scary.

The land raider lists tend to be much more rock-paper-scissors than footwing and there's a lot of paper to your rock out there at the moment.

Having said all of this, the land raider lists are fun as all heck and if you play play hugely competitively, can give most armies a good go.

Archived