Marines Malevolent WIP

Greyall

I'm drawing a Space Marine for Brother Death-Given-Form and thought it would be a good occasion for showing the stages my drawings go through

Witness the birth of Achilles Peleon, Hero-Captain of the Marines Malevolent!

Phase 1

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/045/0/4/marines_malevolent___phase_1_by_greyall-d4ppmir.jpg

I've opted to start with the human figure, in this case, but you'll notice he's a bit too large, both in comparison with the Bloodletter and in proportions. That's because Power Armour adds height, so I've stretched his legs a bit and made him about Power Armoured-high.

Phase 2

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/046/f/0/marines_malevolent___phase_2_by_greyall-d4ptesn.jpg

Our chap being clad in MK1 Thunder Armour, the joints will be protected by chainmail, as you can see on his left leg.

The arms, I think, are mostly ok, maybe the left forearm needs to be a bit longer, but that's it. The groin area may need some work.

Phase 3 will be to clean the guy up, leaving just the armour, and start filling it with decoration. Now it starts to take longer.

Will be back asap.

Edit: Goddamit, just noticed how different in size his shoulders are. My rubber's going to town.

I like the way the head is facing in phase 1. It looks cocked to the left right now and doesnt flow as nicely with his body language.

Just trying to help!

Right you are, sir, I'll see to it, thank you. =)

Thanks, Lady. Aye, that's one of the reasons why I like to start with stickmen or human figures, the evolution is much more noticeable.

Ooooooh. Sorry about your having to draw all those tiny little mail links; I'm sure that's a royal pain in the arse. He's spectacular. I keep looking at the progression between the initial anatomy and the progression of the armor and the only thing I can think is:

"Wow".

Are you feeling ok Greyall? I mean, his arms are proportionate and he isn't a burger marine :)

I had to do a double take when you said thunder armour, though.

I recall thinking you'd like the fact that I'm using less exaggerated proportions for regular Space Marines. Primarchs still get the gimongous treatment, though. =)

It doesn't look much Thunder-Armourish yet, but that's because - at least to me - Thunder armour isn't that different from other marks in terms of sheer design, it's when you add the cabling, the chainmail and the leather (gloves and boots) that it becomes itself.

Spent 2 hours alone trying to do the head...it's finally done, but the paper has taken so much punishment from the rubber it looks like it's about to rip if I breathe at it.

@Death: I secretly love to do those patience-cracking details, every one in a while, helps keep me disciplined, plus if I do those, there's a chance you guys won't have the courage to point other, more minor mistakes.

Yeah, as if... ;)

This is looking pretty good so far buddy and going by your other work the detail will be intense. One thing is bothering me though, his right leg seems to bend rather awkwardly. It could just be because you still need to work the groin area but it seems to be spread a lttle to far out at the hip.

@Biohazard: There's truth to your words, mate, I'll see what can be done regarding his legs. Although, I did try the pose and detected no damage to the continuity of my bloodline, so if for some reason I choose not to change the leg's position, at least I know it's still realistic.

@Yogi: It's kind of a trait of my marines, I see power armour as being somewhat of an exosuit. Anyway, as I mentioned above, redoing any part of the head is out of question, the paper's too damaged. =p

Thanks, everyone. I'll post Phase 3 today, but by now I'm just finishing the armour parts as they come (actually, it's kind of random). One leg's got the finished chainmail and the breastplate's done, as well as the shoulders, but the rest is pretty much Phase 2, and the Bloodletter's still a sketchy mess.

Regarding my more proportional marines, I really have to thank this gentleman:

Mikhail Savier

You've probably seen his artwork, and I hear he launched a 40K artbook. It's absolutely amazing, he draws the most composed Space Marines I've seen, in terms of proportions, and it actually inspired me to make my run-of-the-mill Marines more balanced. Just look at his studies for Power Armour size, they're awesome.

That Mikhail has less views in his deviantart than I do is mind-boggling...

All hail.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/047/a/6/marines_malevolent___phase_3_by_greyall-d4pwmdf.jpg

Phase 3 is ago!

It's getting-sh*t-done time. A few lines have disappeared, partly because the scanning was crappy and partly because I'm starting to clean the whole thing.

At this point I've gone random on the drawing, as I said. Some rows of chainmail here, a breastplate there, the bolt pistol's barrel next...Yyyy-eah, I'm not that organized.

Edit: I know the chainmail doesn't look like chainmail, more like small chains...I'll be blunt: drawing 'true' chainmail would take me ages and my hair's colour.

As expected it just gets better and better. The breastplate and helmet are among my favorite details so far. And for whatever reason I really, really like that smoking bolt pistol.

One thing that could be improved is his right leg - the knee specifically. I think the lower greave should come up more to somewhat hide that soft armor joint. It feels like the viewer is seeing too much of it currently.

Are you feeling ok Greyall? I mean, his arms are proportionate and he isn't a burger marine ;)

I had to do a double take when you said thunder armour, though.

I recall thinking you'd like the fact that I'm using less exaggerated proportions for regular Space Marines. Primarchs still get the gimongous treatment, though. =)

It doesn't look much Thunder-Armourish yet, but that's because - at least to me - Thunder armour isn't that different from other marks in terms of sheer design, it's when you add the cabling, the chainmail and the leather (gloves and boots) that it becomes itself.

Spent 2 hours alone trying to do the head...it's finally done, but the paper has taken so much punishment from the rubber it looks like it's about to rip if I breathe at it.

I much prefer this drawing to all of your others as he looks powerful and commanding without looking like he got inflated with an air pump. Look forward to seeing it finished, and watching the process is always fun to see!

Taken care of, mate.

Hey, death-given-form, give your address, I want to send you a punch in the lungs...chainmail, eh? Looks pretty fine, eh? It's like a fractal nightmare in my mind...

HAHA! But it looks spectacular! ;)

No, seriously. Freaking amazing. The winged lightning bolt on the helmet is sweet. And the smoking bolt pistol is scary in a good way. I'll admit, I was a little worried about the look of the crest initially, but now, it looks great.

Also, damn, you've set the bar for the model reeeeeeally high...

Chainmail....ick. I've tried a few times myself, and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to simplify it....although chains in general are a royal pain, really, so you're at least still making it hard on yourself.

I hate to say it....I mean I really, totally feel sorry that I am going to say it, but...the shoulders still look out of whack. His right (viewer's left) Pauldron should be higher. Just my two bits :o

Still, as always, damn good stuff.

Goddamit, I'd noticed it, but only now do I see it's really, really noticeable. His right shoulder looks like the left inner pauldron. It'd be easier to change the left one, but fact is, the right one is too small. It's off to Dr. Rubber for you, my little friend.

Thanks, Firepower, wouldn't have done anything about that if you hadn't pointed it out.

Don't feel sorry, inconsistencies like this one really steal a piece's 'Bling'.

The marine is mostly done, by the way, now for the Bloodletter. It's not going to be that easy, I can't just fill the poor chap's head with brain matter, chances are it doesn't exactly occupy a 'Letter's humongous skull. It's interior design-time for me - skullstyle.

By far my favorite drawing of yours to date.

The detail on this is exquisite, and I prefer this anatomy scale and armor proportion in comparison to some of your previous artwork. You've managed to make Thunder armor cool, which is a feat in itself! ;)

Great work, man. Keep doing what you do best!

:cuss

In a word: Brilliant. I completely agree with Lady_Canoness, the amount of work that went into the chainmail... I can only imagine. I'm still waiting for some crazy psychic punch to the lungs. :lol:

I'm going to have prints professionally made of the whole process, and they're going up right next to my work bench. Thanks again, mate.

Archived