Dark Angels color scheme...

unheilig

I really like the Dark Angels... they were my first army, way back in the day.

I have never liked the division of basic armor colors between the regular chapter, ravenwing, and deathwing. If I painted them all the same, would that be some sort of blasphemous move? If you saw an army of uniformly painted Dark Angels, would you be offended?

I wouldn't care either.

You could always call them a successor to any Fluff Nazis you encounter. If you want to back it up, change the color of the symbols or modify them slightly like adding an iron halo.

As above, your army - your design.

I have always, always been a supporter of the "Rule of Cool". It is your time, money and enjoyment that you are putting into the hobby, nobody gets to dictate how you should enjoy it. Do whatever you think will look best, if that is important to you. Likewise, people who are very big on following codex law to the T, that is how they will get the most out of the hobby.

Personally, I LOVE the oldschool black helm with a red stripe on our veterans that we have had in past incarnations, and that is exactly what I plan on doing to the helms of my veterans in power armour for my army. Is it fluff accurate? Probably not, but in my head, I like the look and history that the black helm and red stripe represent. It's my way of bridging the gap of the old with the new.

Plus, in our late 5th... unlikely ... 6th... more likely.... Dark Angels codex, who knows how they are going to represent our chapter. They might declare the fluff to state that every marine now wears robes, rather than to just represent their rank or station within the circles. The only person you should focus on making happy is yourself.

Hail Brother,

As said above it's your army and they are for your enjoyment. If you wanted to paint them bright yellow and give them purple spots and call them Dark Angels it wouldn't bother me. Do what makes you happy.

Cheers

Vex

I would agree. If you like the way it looks then it's all good. And then call them a Successor for the Rules nazi types like Belial has said.

I am going to be painting/repainting my DA to look like the old Rogue Trader DA but will be calling them "The Order" I think and going with more old RT look with Beaked helms (and getting old style looking models when I can,) while still having the DA symbol too but looking more like the old design. Kind of how the Consecrators are paint schemed but with only the srgts having squad markings on their banner and all sorts of other differences. Only Vets, Srgts and certain other models would have the stripe down the middle of the helmet. All because I think it will look neat and would be more personal to me for my liking how the old scheme was. I have even been picking up a lot of the old WH40k RT books to get a lot of the old symbols, icons and markings.

It all comes down to if you like the painting scheme, man, and that's what counts :)

My plan is to sort of incorporate different bits of DA color schemes into one...

I first started playing DA in Rogue Trader, and I did love the black and red.

Though, my favorite picture of DA from back in the day was THIS one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/Models%20stuff/darkangels_lg.jpg

So my plan is to do dark angels green, but darker than usual, almost black (maybe brighter highlights)... then lots of bone/ivory (cloaks, insignia) and lots of gold trim.

My plan is to sort of incorporate different bits of DA color schemes into one...

I first started playing DA in Rogue Trader, and I did love the black and red.

Or you could do Consecrators! :) Original Legion colors (RT era stuff), no white termies and the RW would be almost identical to the current DAs one. Just an un-biased thought here... :)

Personally I love the division, its one of our more unique things. I'm a fluff Nazi myself, but that said it is your army. I would not consider them, in my mind to be DA, but I would not say you could not call them DA

But then again, due to us all being DA still (secretly) then its ok to call them DA, I suppose :sweat:

However, if you do like the same colour scheme all through, then do you prefer the white, black or green look? If black, then go Consecrators (awesme look and fluff) or for Bone White, Angels of Absolution and for Green, Disciples of Caliban. Each are great chapters as well with potential for expanding on their fluff.

Personally I love the division, its one of our more unique things. I'm a fluff Nazi myself, but that said it is your army. I would not consider them, in my mind to be DA, but I would not say you could not call them DA

But then again, due to us all being DA still (secretly) then its ok to call them DA, I suppose :sweat:

However, if you do like the same colour scheme all through, then do you prefer the white, black or green look? If black, then go Consecrators (awesme look and fluff) or for Bone White, Angels of Absolution and for Green, Disciples of Caliban. Each are great chapters as well with potential for expanding on their fluff.

Im pretty immoveable on using the DA chapter symbol... after all, its the coolest chapter symbol of all.

As everyone has said it is your army and you can paint it anyway you like.

I have a Tiger Stripe Camo theme for my Battle Companies;

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/PEDColors014.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/PEDColors021.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/PEDColors022.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/Scouts.jpg

And My DW (Those that Wait in the Dark) are all Black.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/Dec-Apr2008088.jpg

My RW are a mixed mut of Camo and Black.

My Co Vets arer Camo with Black Helmets.

And the up and coming Honor Guard will be in Black with green trim.

IMHO, no harm done in having Termies and bikes in DA green colour, but painting black and bone is an opportunity to break up the monotony of the color scheme... but that's just me....

As a modeler you have another point of view and if you like your army in uniform colours, go for it! :sweat:

Lexicanum says that "some time after the betrayal, the heraldry of the dark angels was changed to dark green".

It would be relatively easy for your force to be the time inbetween the betrayal and the creation of the inner circle (i.e. knowledge that the fallen still exist in space and time). In this way, your Deathwing become green (pre the events on the recruiting world) and your ravenwing can also be green (though it seems their heraldry never changed).

it's your army. They can be pink and fluffy and use the chapter symbol if you want.

Where is this pic from?

This goes WAAAAAAY back... First there was Adeptus Titanicus, which was titan on titan combat only. When they first introduced armies into Epic scale, it was called Space Marine, and this was the box cover.

And it was then used as the cover for the Space Marine Strike Force Box - the first box of Mk7 marines for 40k. It was also used for the cover of the novel Space Marine (even tho it was about Imperial Fists.. :lol: ), the Space Marine 2nd edition Space Marine Battalion box and the cover of D-Rok's only album: Oblivion. I think its fair to say GW got their monies worth on that pic!

As for the colours, Codex: Angels of Death as well as the revised Gav Thorpe version of the 3e dex did explicitly state that the DA Battle and Reserve companies follow the vanilla practices regarding bikes & speeders, admittedly the former was seemingly an editorial error (of which there were plenty in that dex) which gave rise to the latter but its still a bit of canon you can point to and say your going old-skool.

Deathwing lacks canon support but green is still arguable: 1. Allegedly if you ask Rick Priestly he says that the change from black to green was meant to be a retcon not some post/pre thing (this is somewhat supported by the concept sketches in WD346 which show the Ultramarine scheme from the UM/BA/DA Tactical Squad article in WD129 was meant to be Heresy era.. which would in fact mean that the 3rd company is meant to be Ravenwing, yet its wearing green), so by rights the pre-plainsworld Deathwing should have been green. Which moves us onto point 2. In the Deathwing story Cloud Runner asks that the suits be left the colour of Death, he doesn't ask that the chapters other 70 suits which weren't there be repainted - so it could be argued that they could/should be left the original colour (see point one).

D-Rok's only album: Oblivion.

Dear me... that really takes me back. I picked that up in a GW sale for about £3, wonder if i've still got it... though from what I remember i'm not sure if I want to listen to it again...

With the colour schemes, i've never been a fan of multiple colours either but i like the fluff so i'm happy to go along with it. I'm hoping I can find some way of making it all hang together when I get round to painting my DW and RW! I just say as others have, it's your army so do what you like and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

I really like the Dark Angels... they were my first army, way back in the day.

I have never liked the division of basic armor colors between the regular chapter, ravenwing, and deathwing. If I painted them all the same, would that be some sort of blasphemous move? If you saw an army of uniformly painted Dark Angels, would you be offended?

Same here. I still have beakie marines in a box somewhere from rogue trader days.

Paint them however you want, I plan on painting them as the DA legion when I get around to painting mine. Much like I had way back when before they became green(and black bikes and bone white terminators)

Archived