Death Guard vs Necrons

Verbal Underbelly

Hello I'm going to have a fight with some Necrons in two weeks and would like to ask the forum for some tactical advice please.

He is taking the following 1000 point list

Overlord, Resurrection Orb

20 x Warriors

10 x Immortals

8 x Scarabs

Annihilation Barge

Heavy Destroyer

Monolith

I will be taking the following models

Chaos Lord: Lightning claws, Mark of Nurgle

8 x Possessed

5 x Chosen: 2 melta, fist

5 x Plague Marines: 2 plasma

5 x Plague Marines: 2 flamer, fist, plasma pistol

Vindicator: Daemonic possession

Rhino:

That puts me at 998 points.

As I say I'm more looking at how to deal with his units and I'm interested in people's experience against Necrons rather than having an army list review... I don't own another Rhino although I do have a predator I can use...

Hm, how do you plan on taking down his AV14/AV13 vehicles reliably? The Annihilation Barge was the nasty "S9 AP1 Large Blast" vehicle with 72" range, right? Two of those really took down some of my units very quickly. And with Quantum Shielding they have AV13 until you score a penetrating hit ...

Warriors are no problem, they die rather quick :) Will they come as one unit or several?

The Scarabs are hard when you have high AV vehicles. They are not so good in close combat against infantry but will chew units to death. Do they have entropic strike?

Um I think he's taking the warriors as one big unit. I thought the Annihilation barge was more of an anti infantry guy with that crazy jumpy lightning thing. Don't know.

I'm going to have a right 'mare trying to kill his MONOLITH and barge. I've literally got two melta guns and demolisher cannon for anti armour which is well sh!t but that's what I've got to work with. Oh and no transport either.

No idea what the MONOLITH is gonna do to me - might try and avoid it? And the heavy destroyer could be a pain in the arse too.

What do I do?

The Annihilation Barge goes for lots of dakka with Tesla weapons; the Doomsday Ark is the one with the pieplate of doom.

The Heavy Destroyer's going to be hunting your Vindicator. The good news is, it's a single one-wound model. Kill it before it has a chance to start putting shots into your Vindicator's side or rear armor.

Odds are, the Monolith's going to focus on keeping the warriors/immortals out of cc, and smacking your plague marines with it's particle whip. In a mostly footslogging list, that large blast is really going to hurt.

As always with Necrons, getting into close combat is key. You really don't want to eat the Monolith's pieplate blast and all the dakka the rest of his list can put out.

You might not have the models for it, but swapping the Lord for a Daemon Prince would help a lot.

Ah, I mixed up the Barge with the Doomsday Ark, thanks Chengar Qordath!

Yes, kill the Heavy Destroyer and then try to get rid of the Monolith. If you are lucky he will deep strike it, then there is a good chance something bad happens to it :D

Close combat is helpful against him and the Monolith is no longer able to teleport squads out if they are engaged. 20 Warriors in one unit is great for you, better than having 4x5 running around!

Otherwise. Vehicles! I play against Necrons regularly and they are so inept to kill your long range firepower quickly if you use Predators and such things. They even have problems with getting rid of Rhinos because they lack reliable long range weaponry to do so. Sure, when you get close (24" and less) they have lot's of dakka. But long range? Not much. And the Mono is slow (6" per round) ...

Have to second Ayanamikun on the vehicle front; your opponent's current list doesn't really have any good anti-vehicle weapons aside from the Heavy Destroyer (unless you let him get his scarabs into melee range. Fielding that Predator you mentioned owning might be a good move, since if you take a combi-pred setup you'll get another weapon that can threaten the Necron vehicles.

Good morning. Thank you for your responses.

I'd love to use a daemon prince but I don't own one. I don't even have a suitable model I could use as a proxy!

I don't really have the points for both the Predator and the Vindicator but because of your advise regarding vehicles I may be able to squeeze in another Rhino in and use the Predator model because it's turret and weapons are removable. It may look a bit mental but I'd like to keep my soldiers intact for longer RE: the particle whip.

I'll do a brief battle report after and post it into this thread to let you know how I got on. If anyone else has any othe tips, tricks or experiences I'm all ears!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I fought my good friend and Necron opponent today and I pulled off a very convincing win! We played annihilation and I managed to table him by my turn five. In all fairness I think my dice rolling was well above average where as my opponent was having terrible luck with the dice. I won't give a full battke report as I think it will take a really long time to write but I post a few notes and highlights.

He set up first so I was able to place my units in such a way as to minimise his first turn of shooting. I tried to stay well out of the way of his anti armour and placed my close combat unit in front of his 20 strong Necron warrior block. He also placed his immortals in reserve. His first turn of shooting was light and I lost a single chosen and had one Rhino immobilised and weapon destroyed.

• In my first turn I managed to blow up his Monolith with my Vindicator. Phew! I rolled a direct hit then two 5's for armour penetration and a 5 for the damage table. Phew! Phew! Phew!

• My chaos lord and possessed killed 20 Necron warriors with his Lord and 10 Immortals during the five turns of fighting with only two casualties. I was very pleased with their performance. It's clear that these Necron units are shooting based.

• His scarabs managed to literally eat my Vindicator - their 12" charge range is very good.

• After trying to power fist his Annihilation barge for three turns my last remaining chosen with a melta gun managed to wreck it after narrowly avoiding getting nobbled by the last scarab base which he also managed to kill off the previous turn in CC.

• I decided to equip my Chaos Lord with lightning claws and Mark of Khorne. He performed really consistently. Not spectacularly but very reliable and frankly I didn't miss having a panic attack every time I roll for the daemon weapon I normally take.

All in all it was a very enjoyable game and I feel the Necrons are a very good force to play against. They have a lot of flavour and the special rules seem really balanced and fun.

•Um my last post has gone up three times. Does anyone know how to delete posts? I couldn't find the relevant tab

you can edit it to "double post" and "triple post" if you like to reduce the text, but don't think you can delete it.

Also, congrats again on the win. I like "bubonic rage" idea. That's pretty cool.

-Myst

Thank you. It was a really fun game - possibly only for me... O_o

And yeah the bubonic rage idea stems from a desire to get more from the Chaos Codex but not getting too worried about what the actual upgrades are called. I like to think of Mark of Tzeentch as daemonic aura and Mark of Slaanesh as daemonic speed. There as no restrictions on what marks you can take so why not? I think a lot of Chaos players get too caught up in what they regard as "fluffy" or "unfluffy".

Archived