Kitbashing Furioso

MadMek83

Hello everyone!

Just bit background. I started last October after 14 years pause painting models and miniatures again when my friend convinced me and few others to start WH 40K and I chose Blood Angels. My first paintings in 14 years were quite... horrible infact... Now I've got used to painting bit more, I found washes (during 3rd edition Fantasy Battle when i did last miniatures I never heard such things as washes, I am not sure even they existed). Now I am getting close to table top quality... (or at least quality you can put table top and show your advosary that you at least have tried to paint even if they suck). Only sad note is that I wish I would have never stop painting miniatures. I really enjoyed doing miniatures but I had to finish high school, do mandatory tour of duty and then get degree from college, so I got kinda busy and no time for minatures. Now I have time to do them again.

This is my very first vehicle, even though I am start to get closer of acceptable table top quality in figures, I've never really done machine yet. This is first one.

I usually do not share Work in Progress pictures with really outside very small ring. Reason being I suck at painting at the moment or atleast confidence really. But this kitbash Furioso, even its barely standing has been in progress for 3½ weeks mostly due I've built it from several different boxes and kits where I've got parts:

Torso: Regular Space Marine Dreadnought torso. Left arm is from regular dreadnought box too (and slightly visible in below picture.

Legs: Venerable Dreadnought

Front panel, Shin guards, Frag gun (not in picture) power plant: Furioso box.

Banner: Sanguinary guards box

Searchlight: Rhino sprue.

I dea for this actually came when looking how much extra pieces does Furioso box contain and its regular price in here is 42€ with S&H. I got torso, legs , shin guards and power plant with lot of sanguinary banners (10 pieces) off the net delivered for around 21€'s. I got good deal so I bought them.

I received now my full complete Furioso too, which I have not yet built getting some parts for this one. This one will be Furioso with Frag cannon.

My first mistake was to assume Games Workshop would use more commonsense when making dreadnoughts. I knew that Furioso tabs are different size than regular marines dreadnought. What I did not knew that internally front face plate is different too. After an hour work I finally got front panel sit somewhat good, enought to go table top. Luckily I got today with Furioso box some liquid green stuff. Its completely saved my behind. Even with hours work to make Furioso front panel sit neatly on torso there were still plenty gaps. With LGS I could cover them, sand most off and but ne primer and start doing red again.

Sorry for the bad pictures, especially the white balance is way off making red looking more orange than red. My 40% done Furioso.

What needs to be done: Assemble and paint frag cannon. Paint new face plate and sides again. paint lights, skulls on right arm and power plant, make corrective paint on silver and highlight silver bits with chain mail or regular silver. Make shadings and high lights on armor and think some kind of weathering... other than putting devlan mud... the Banner and Search light need to be finish and base needs to paint.

All the constructive criticism and advices I'll gladly accept. 6 months is not much in terms of learning painting properly but I hope I can make my first WH40K army good enough to put table top without shaming myself or making my opponent shamed. I cannot think anything more shameful than playing unpainted models or models that have just primed / single colored.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6109.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6110.jpg

Things I learned so far when making this dreadnought:

#1 Even if something starts look disaster and seems to get worse just keep persistantly going on result might be surprisingly good. This I learned when doing the banner.

#2 Never trust Games Workshop use as much common sense as I do, their primary goal is to make money so do not trust different dreadnougth parts to be exchangeable even they might look same. Prepeare to spend hours make them fit

#3 Patience is virtue... too bad I am man mostly without virtues but lately I've started to find more patience.

#4 when painting white, thinner the white better result you get and better brush control you will get.

#5 When making dreadnought paint power plant separately from main torso. It makes life so much easier.

#6 When something is not compatible: knife, file, liquid green stuff can make miracle.

#7 All problem has solutions, though solution my former CO used is not applicable on modelling: Do not even think of applying explosives, even you may wish some point to do it on frustrating points.

#8 If you do not have patience, persistence is damn good substitute. ( I was taught that patience is doing something calmly without losing your nerves while persistence is doing stuff complete even you cannot hold your nerves or if your nerves get lost)

When I get principle painting done i.e. factory like looks, I will post some pictures, till then I will research good ways of making good looking weather suitable for beginners.

Edit:

After the pictures I got inspiration to do little bit more:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6111.jpg

When you look from side compearing to real deal Furioso torso, you can see when you look that front panel is like 1-2 mm risen from the rest section but unless you know what you look its hard to see. Passable for table top I'd say.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6112.jpg

Reds done, all whites need few thin layers of white with dilluted adeptus battle gray on base. Wings are currently Primed with Dheneb stone.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6113.jpg

Front shot. I need to start highlighting and shading the banner. Find way to high light the gold, paint jewels and sarcophagus window and lights green. I think I will wash the scroll with devlan mud and dry brush lightly Dheneb stone on that next and see how it will turn. I need to re-paint the sarcophagus cables and wash them. Some red is shining nastily thru.

edit: 25th

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm103/thejamppa/Miniatures/DSCF6114.jpg

Got finally around assembling, painting and dry fitting the frag cannon... Now to painting lenses and test highlights...

Archived