RP Progression chart

Brother Artemius

Im starting a RP on Facebook with some friends and anyone who wants to join. I wanted some ideas or opinions for ranks that i should add to what i currently have.

I have it starting at scout, when you rank you get to choose between Devastator, Tactical, Assault, Techmarine, Apothecary, Chaplain, or Librarian. The Techmarine, Apothecary, Chaplain, and Librarian will branch off into their own progression charts. I'm not going to list all that i currently have, but feel free to post any ideas for ranks.

I think BAs might have both apothecaries and Sanguinary Priests, but I could be wrong.

Nope, their Sanguinary Priests are their Apothecaries.

+edit: Adding+

Page 48, Codex BA:

"So did he transform the Legion's Apothecaries into Sanguinary Priests, setting them as high in honor as the chaplains of the Reclusiam, and as vital to the spiritual guidance of the Blood Angels."

hmm in what what way would this work? if its facebook based i have no idea how your going about this :)

anyway im guessing everyone starts out as a scout? that would make the most sense ;) and if im not mistaken they begin as devastator before going assault. then the "all rounders" can become tacticals and i guess ones iwth shooting empathy could return to t he devastors while those with combat empahty could rejoin the assault companies ^_^

veterancy normally comes to certain destinguished individuals, you dont choose to become one, you get chosen to join the first company ;)

having techmarine, librarian and priest as a choice availbe is a nice touch though :)

getting more interesting to see what you mean with the RP the more i type about it :D

and if im not mistaken they begin as devastator before going assault. then the "all rounders" can become tacticals and i guess ones iwth shooting empathy could return to t he devastors while those with combat empahty could rejoin the assault companies :P

It is actually the other way around :)

The way the codex explains it: The youth are always the most eager and fired up, so they are the ones allowed to get that out. Then they move into devastators to learn patience, support, etc. And then Tactical. The rest of what you said is true though, those that are better at assault will just go back to assault, same with Devs.

and if im not mistaken they begin as devastator before going assault. then the "all rounders" can become tacticals and i guess ones iwth shooting empathy could return to t he devastors while those with combat empahty could rejoin the assault companies :)

It is actually the other way around :P

The way the codex explains it: The youth are always the most eager and fired up, so they are the ones allowed to get that out. Then they move into devastators to learn patience, support, etc. And then Tactical. The rest of what you said is true though, those that are better at assault will just go back to assault, same with Devs.

ah my bad, was doing it from the back of my head... and i think from the vanilla dex. saw they retconned it for us as well, shrugged and skipped that part :P

and if im not mistaken they begin as devastator before going assault. then the "all rounders" can become tacticals and i guess ones iwth shooting empathy could return to t he devastors while those with combat empahty could rejoin the assault companies :)

It is actually the other way around :P

ah my bad, was doing it from the back of my head... and i think from the vanilla dex. saw they retconned it for us as well, shrugged and skipped that part :P

That isn't really a retcon. It was like that in the vanilla, but the BA are a completely separate chapter, so their progression will be different. The BA want to get the firey, less controlled youth through the flames, use the thirst to their advantage. Then they teach them to control their thirst by giving them to the Devastators, in which case they have to learn to completely resist it. And then they move them to the Tacticals, teaching them to control their thirst.

So their progression goes: Give into it -> Resist it -> Control it -> Master it.

it was retconned because now the tactical marines are the veteran marines. (relativly) it used to be tactical, and then depending on affinaty(sp) devastator or assault. which tbh still makes alot more sense to me....

now theyre sending their new recruits, basicly teens in power at this point (even if with training and combat doctrine) and throwing them at head first at xenos and heretics (among others traitor marines) and lets be fair here, the rate of attrition is going to be the highest there...

THEN they go to the devastator company where they learn to shoot and keep their cool during a firing fight....uh assault marines already got BS4 :huh: why would they need additional training? likewise following their own fluff they already know how to keep their cool as they were kicking heads in whilst they were flying at enemies and getting shot at.

and then the end of the line (barring first company) is tactical marine duty....

eh...wut? :blink:

sorry, just dont understand the logic here :D

By the time the scout reaches the assault phase, he already is a veteran of dozens of wars. A veteran equivalent to a Storm Trooper.

It is more about mentality as opposed to combat training. The Blood Angels are all inflicted with a thirst for blood. They also love to fly. Therefore, the youngest ones, who have the least amount of control over their thirst, are the ones tasked with charging in. They are told to GIVE IN to the thirst, to embrace it and use it to their advantage.

The next stage is the Devastator stage, they already know how to shoot, but the mentality is resisting the thirst. They aren't allowed to charge, they aren't allowed to drink. They are told to reject their curse, to use reason instead of pure emotion. This is that part of the training. The psychological training of reason.

Then they move into the Tactical Phase, this is more about control. They have already indulged without restraint, and they have already rejected it. They have experienced BOTH ends of the scale. Now it is time to learn Balance. They must give into it at some times, and resist it at others.

Those that successfully complete these make it into the Veteran Companies, where they MASTER it.

See what I am saying? It makes sense to me.

tbh (at least in the blood angels case, dont care about vanilla) switch the devastator company with the assault company.

why? if you have a group of 20 men in your company frothing at the mouth and wanting to charge right into every single fight they want, you wont have much of your assault marines left after their first battle. oh look a tank company is just over the redge... CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE

:D

no military organisation, no matter if theyre filled with super human soldiers or not is going to function properly if your soldiers lose their minds the second they get into battle. you need discipline, restraint, you have to keep your cool and attack the right target. attacking without restraint is a big no no imho...

teach them to restrain it first, or youl have loyalist beserkers. which tbh is already the only defining aspect between beserkers and blood angels. restraint...

that said, you can work around this somewhat by placing your assault marines properly. but then your marines still need to know when they have to fall back and wait till armoured targets/monstrous creatures are dealt with...

that said lets stop de-railing the topic m8. not to sure if the OP appreciates it...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been online to answer some of the questions. RP stands for Role-Play, the RP is similar to the Death Watch RP, but with my own campaigns, missions, etc.

The topics so far have been OK, the RP isn't based solely on Blood Angels, but all 1st founding chapters and many 2nd and further on chapters. I said Apothecary because other chapters don't have Sanguinary Priest, I will add chapter oriented ranks, but there will be standard ranks along with them.

So continue the discussion, but remember that it is not just Blood Angels, but many other chapters. Thank you all for the responses so far.

-Brother Artemius

Archived