techmarine woes

hobointherain

I've been wanting to include a techmarine for a while now, mainly for the conversion opportunity, but I'm not exactly sure how to kit the guy out. I'm tempted to kit him out as a MotF but i've heard alot of grumbles about techmarines in general, mainly the limited impact of their vehicle repair gimmick. Alot of friends have suggested a bog standard Techy, maybe upgraded with a thunderhammer, just to add a bit of combat beef to a squad.

What is the general consensus on this? mainly because this will dictate how I build the model.

I use MoF and Techmarines quite a bit to fit the theme of my chapter and personally the best loadouts I think are:

MoF- bike, conversion beamer, etc, etc.

MoF- Servo-harness, Plas pistol and PW...suprisingly not that bad. Have had good experiences with him though beware the lack of an inv save

Techmarine- naked for 50pts to boost a ruin, repair and perhaps add a PF to a unit its not amazing value but for 50pts IMO its better then somethings to spend points on.

Techmarine with servitors to fix in which case take all 4 for that +2 to repair or shooting as im a plasma cannon nut job ive had loads of fun with the servitors with PC's expensive but any way to cram more plasma cannons into my army is a plus for me.

Overal the MoF IMO has more to offer but like I said for 50pts its not to bad.

Also, don't forget the thunderfire cannon loadout. You buy a Techmarine, add a servo-harness only, and for 25pts I believe you can upgrade him to man a thunderfire cannon, which while fragile, is a devastating weapon at range. Not a bad upgrade IMO :D.

Also, don't forget the thunderfire cannon loadout. You buy a Techmarine, add a servo-harness only, and for 25pts I believe you can upgrade him to man a thunderfire cannon, which while fragile, is a devastating weapon at range. Not a bad upgrade IMO :).

It's a little dangerous to use the word "upgrade" when dealing with the Thunderfire Cannon, especially around newbies.

The Thunderfire Cannon is a Heavy Support choice that must be taken as a whole. While the points breakdown for the unit when comapred to an Elite-slot Techmarine would be 50 for the Techmarine, 25 for the harness, and the leftover 25 for the Cannon, stating it as an "upgrade" might confuse newer players. There is no actual choice to add a TFC as wargear. :huh:

If you're plannig to add a Techmarine to a Marine squad, keep him cheap. He's still only an Independent Character with a 2+ armor save and only one wound. When you start throwing things like a thunderhammer on him, he rapidly escalates in price and may never swing that hammer due to the reduction of Initiative and the ability of the enemy to single him out with melee attacks due to the IC status. If you're taking him for the Bolster ability, take no upgrades. Nothing he can take is really going to help him out, especially when he's attached to Devastators or Scouts.

Techmarines are one of those odd units that does a little bit of everything, but none of it overly well. Buy his gear according to the unit he'll join, and keep him cheap at all times.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a Techmarine with servo-arm plus four servitors = +5 to your repair roll, which means you are always successful?

Yes but if you roll a 2 for example..add techmarine with servo harness +1, each basic servitor adds +1 with 4 in total adds +4 so in all you add 5 to the result. Meaning unless you role a 1 you will have repaired the vehicle. Not good at explaning things but yes you are correct. :) whats even more OTT is stick a 2nd techmarine in to the unit then stuff them into a landraider. Very fun fixing that immboilised and weapon destroyed results your opponent caused with over half his shooting.

Its true, the whole Repair hijink isn't used that often by most players. Because most players don't make walls of Dreadnoughts.

Seriously. Take a trio of Dreads with a MOTF (he allows you to spread them around your Elite and Heavy slots). Give each of them a gun and a CCW, stick 'em base to base (or even keeping them relatively close together), and walk them up the field laying down a wall of fire as you advance. Take your MOTF (with or without Servitors, your choice) and walk behind the wall. If ever one is Immobilized or has a gun blown off, boom! He's there to fix it.

Is it an awesome strategy? No. But I have used it with a modicum of success because its like the Spanish Inquisition. No one expects it.

I used Deus' dreadwall tactic a few times just for kicks, and I think it's only really annoying when the dreads are all venerable. In such cases, it's more likely that you'll see weapon destroyed/immobilized results, thus more likely for repairs to matter. I think Blood Angels ironically do this better because of the Libby casting Shield for the extra layer of protection.

I gave my MotF a go for all 3 roles he is capable of (Beamer fire support, close combat fist jockey, repair shenanigans) and I like how the Beamer thing works out. It's an extra long range shot to add to your arsenal, and those never hurt IMO. I stick him in with camo cloaked scouts to extend the 2+ cover save to him as well, so it's very unlikely that he'll die even if any saves reach him from starcannons or plasma or meltas or whatever.

I think the bigger issues goes back to the OP...it is not really what you want to kit him out with that is the crux here, it is what you want him to actually do. He is a force enhancer....

1. Want more dreads? He has an AP for that.

2. Want a ruin bolstered to enhance the saves for a unit like devs or snipers? He has an AP for that.

3. Want to add a PF equivalent and boost a single squad's assault capabilities? He has an AP for that.

4. Want a corner sitter with a long range tank killing beam? He has an AP for that.

5. Want a artillery gun that is cheaper than a dev squad and far more powerful, longer ranged and flexible? He has an AP for that.

6. Want a bunch of mindless servitors fixing things or acting as a dev squad outside the FOC? He has an AP for that.

7. Want to add character to your army based around a love for the mechanical or robotic? Yep, he has an AP for that...

Pick what you want him to do, and build around that. I have 2 or 3 Tech Marines in my collection...the one I want is a thunderfire-packing one. Looks like I have to wait a bit for that unless I go to the secondary markets...

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a Master of the Forge with Servo-Harness, Power Weapon and Digital Weapons to not be a bad investment for the points.

He is a little bit fragile, as he lacks an Invulnerable Save, but packs quite a wallop. Useful as a squad-upgrade guy, added to a 5-man Tactical Squad in Razorback or 9-man Assault/Tactical Squad in Rhino and you have a nice unit-muncher. You do have to keep him away from enemy characters and Power Fists, but either way he makes up for the lost Special Weapon(s) and adds some nice assault ability.

Never particularly like him as an independent Techmarine (they are too vulnerable, and the upgrades are too expensive for a 1-wound model), I don't have space for Thunderfires, nor do I particularly like the Conversion Beamer set-up (I would have to have a non-Codex sized Devastator Squad and bung him in there, as being on a bike is a bit strange for the Salamanders)! So hoofing it about with small squad is the route I prefer.

Great HQ for low-points games, though he does occasionally compete in my mind against a Librarian (Avenger, Null Zone) and a Chaplain (probably Cassius). I do like to pick the Master of the Forge over either of these options because I find the ability to bring both Power Weapon and Fist attacks, as well as the Plasma/Flamer ranged weaponry to be superior on the table itself.

I like my Techmarine because he looks awesome, though like many he's always a MotF now thanks to the new codex. Unlocking Dreadnoughts as Heavy Support is great but mostly I like the fact he's pretty cheap and comes with lots of toys.

I find he's pretty solid joining a Tac squad in a Drop Pod coming in to support an Ironclad in the middle of enemy lines. I plan to get more podding Dreads when I muster the will power to assemble and paint another pod. He makes for a good support unit for them and offers additional special weapons. He also gives some punch in combat but together they can really shine when taking apart vehicles (looking at you IG).

His tally of smashed vehicles is quite high now and he commands suitable respect which I like. I don't think anybody is going to pretend he's amazing but for the points he can be very effective. My lists tend to be built around cheaper units that support each other which is why I put him at the head of my army so often :nuke:

On the regular tech marine it doesn't hurt to give him a power weapon, if you have the spare points. This gives him 2 attacks at init 4, str 4 + the servo arm at init 1 str 8, all of which ignore armor. He doesn't have a regular ccw so the only way to get him to have more than 1 attack at init 4 is to take the pw.

Can't say much on the Techmarine choice really, since I just can't stand how feeble a choice it is when you can gut a Thunderfire Cannon, but a Master of the Forge excites me as only an Ultramarine can be!

You see, if he has a plasma pistol, power weapon and maybe digital weapons if points are spare (shouldn't be considering what I'm saying nexte and combi-weapons) he can accompany a Sternguard unit with 2 Melta Guns (and x amount of combi-weapons) and a power fist for the ultimate balanced, take all comers unit.

You have 4 shots capable of damaging a vehicle, 2 melta shots for heavier vehicle, 4 shots against heavy infantry plus the rest of the squad, a flamer for help against hoards and reasonable assault potential.

I've not tested this selection in a tournament but I like it and feel it can work well alongside other mechanised units.

I think it kinda sucks that both A) the Techie is not a 'free' unit when taking a Tank of some form (like DA) and B ) that you cant give him or his servitors a transport...

Ive got a nice theme of my entire army on the move, so rhinos, bikes, preds etc. but i cant repair any of them EFFECTIVELY becos i cant take a Techie with posse in his own transport. the most i can do is stick him on a bike and hope to the Emperor that i always get 5+ on my repair rolls. :/ (dont like the idea of a Servo-harness on a bike, seems silly)

So yea, kinda bummed about that. but on topic, like ther others have mentioned, use him as an 'upgrade' to a squad and/or kit him out to your armys fighting style :rolleyes:

Shaabhekh

Archived