Storm Raven vs. Flamestorm Cannon

BloodTzar

Well,

I had a game last night, vs. SM friend, who had dual LR, which one was the redeemer (2 Flamestorm Cannons (FC)). As we started I rushed both of my SR's 24" forward to get that 4++ cover. So in response he moves his LRR so his FC could easily get one SR under the template, negating it's cover and glancing on 6's.

The question is, could FC hit SR?

There is the 1st floor only rule to the flame templates, where SR is flying 2 floors above the surface, so I believe it was not possible.

However friend of us, IG player, claimed that his vendettas do get shot down by flamer templates often.

So please help,

~BT

I think it's a misnomer to say "1st floor rule", if you're saying what I think you're saying, which is that a template weapon can only target a unit on one level and only on the level or one up or one down from the firer (p85). Is that correct?

If so, those rules only apply to targeted units that are in a ruin and so yes, the LRR can target the SR with a FC so long as the SR lies under the template as normal.

As a side note, why would anyone do that? S6 template with autohit and no cover save still only glances 1/6 of the time. A krak missile fired at BS4 has 1/3 (to hit) * 1/6 (to glance) * 1/6 (cover) = 1/98 chance to glance and 1/3 (to hit) * 2/6 (to penetrate) * 1/6 (cover) = 2/98 chance to penetrate which is 3/98 which is 1/36 combined. OK now I can see why someone would do that.

But still.. lol

Why not just flame something more useful?

A krak missile fired at BS4 has 1/3 (to hit) * 1/6 (to glance) * 1/6 (cover) = 1/98 chance to glance

Your maths is wrong:

1/3 to hit *1/6 to glance *1/2 cover = 1/36 to glance, vs 1/6 with the flamestorm. Twin flames gets you 1/3 to glance, while 4 kraks get you 1/9.

As a side note, why would anyone do that? S6 template with autohit and no cover save still only glances 1/6 of the time. A krak missile fired at BS4 has 1/3 (to hit) * 1/6 (to glance) * 1/6 (cover) = 1/98 chance to glance and 1/3 (to hit) * 2/6 (to penetrate) * 1/6 (cover) = 2/98 chance to penetrate which is 3/98 which is 1/36 combined. OK now I can see why someone would do that.

Why the 1/6 cover? Shouldn't that be 1/2 for a 4++ save?

Archived