Am I crazy?

Astorath the Grim

I've got a grudge match game comming up vs an eldar friend of mine (yup another one, they happen a lot) and I was thinking about taking a list that doesn't have any sanguinary priests to free up the elite slots, but one that includes Astorath for the shadow of the primarch rule, and he can jump around with some DC. I was thinking that the main body of the troops would either be in a rhino or maybe razorback spam, but I'm not real fond of MSU.

But seriously is it actually necisary for BA to have FC and FNP these days?

In general: YES it is, I5/S5 makes a difference so does 3+/4+

To be more list tailoring-precise: NO it is not, against certain armies, you don’t need that S5/I5 against I2 Necron, and even FNP does as much against that Triple PC leman parked in the corner.

The question is, if you plan on tailoring your lists or to make them so you can use them in general :D

Your solution would be honour guard units.

They have a priest included and do not take up the elite slot of the IC priest.

On the plus side he can't be singled out.

Edit: If you field a lot of DC you do not need a priest anyway. They come with FNP/FC already.

Effectiveness of an army depends on the opponent, your own skills and dice rolls of course.

Spamming units outside of a tournament environment is lame btw. ^^

In my mind it comes down to the army style.

A razorback heavy army probably does not need a priest, the 5 man squads are going to lose combat FC/FNP or not.

A DC heavy army does not need a priest.

Most other armies do, though as mentioned you can get away with using Honor Guards instead.

A razorback heavy army probably does not need a priest, the 5 man squads are going to lose combat FC/FNP or not.

I'd disagree about the 5-man squads losing combat. If used carefully and supported properly they can win combats fairly regularly. I usually field a couple of priests in my razorbacks and make sure I always have at least two squads assaulting any target. With priest support they usually kick ass!

Your solution would be honour guard units.

They have a priest included and do not take up the elite slot of the IC priest.

On the plus side he can't be singled out.

Edit: If you field a lot of DC you do not need a priest anyway. They come with FNP/FC already.

Effectiveness of an army depends on the opponent, your own skills and dice rolls of course.

Spamming units outside of a tournament environment is lame btw. ^^

LOL I would actually have to agree...with exception to a few fun experiments I've done over the years. hehe how many assault cannons can I stuff into a BA list...that was pretty fun actually.

One thing I tend not to do is mix transport types...if I have 4 RAS or 4 DC they all tend to use the same transport...be they rhinos or razorbacks...so not a true razorback spam I guess

My problem with honor guards is that I prefer to have one priest for every combat squad so I don't have to mess with the fnp/fc bubbles

Archived