My growing Grey Knights force

Gunrunr

Greetings Brothers,

I feel that my painting skills are improving and I would just like to share some of my work with you. I still don't have a force big enough to play with, but I'm getting there.

Strike Squad

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc334/empchamp/DSC00389.jpg[/img]

Deathwatch Kill-Team

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc334/empchamp/DSC00347.jpg[/img]

Daemonhost

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc334/empchamp/daemonhost1.jpg[/img]

Lord Kaldor Draigo

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc334/empchamp/DSC00357.jpg[/img]

Culexus Assassin.

I just painted him a few months ago but I'm not too sure I'm going to use him in my army after all. I was under the impression that every knight in a squad was considered a psyker but now I know that the whole unit only counts as one.

gallery_62863_6992_20137.jpg[/img]

Gunrunr it is very difficult to veiw your posts when I can not stop stairing at the cartoon in your signature.

I think they look good, the demonhost looks a little to pink or maybe to clean, did the pic make him look that way? I always imagined them covered in gore and dirt, who would want to hose down the demonhost after a battle afterall?

being a templar player, i have a soft spot for a knight with a sword and shield, well done sir <_< as far as your grey knights, they look really nice man, i'm quite jealous, clean lines and a lot of time put into them. very nice. i like draigo's banner too, good freehand work ;)

Thanks Brother Alaric, j

Black Templars are my main army and I am just now building this Grey Knights force. That is why I gave the honor of the power sword and storm shield to the Templar. Its kind of a show of respect that I'm sure you can appreciate. ;)

Gunrunr it is very difficult to veiw your posts when I can not stop stairing at the cartoon in your signature.

I think they look good, the demonhost looks a little to pink or maybe to clean, did the pic make him look that way? I always imagined them covered in gore and dirt, who would want to hose down the demonhost after a battle afterall?

Brother RipherChost,

I played with different ideas for the daemonhost's body color. At first I was going to use shades of green and grey and give him a zombie look but then decided against it. I wanted to keep with the story line which is that a victim is chained and bound befor the inquisitor summons the daemon. The daemon then takes over the body and in my vision, tears its way out of the host body. I used two different skin tones on him (not counting the red raw flesh) and then used a dark flesh ink wash over the pink areas. I did not want to make him dirty but I did think about adding more gore to him but didn't because of the fear of over-doing it. Here is a picture of his back and I think here you can better see the ink wash.

gallery_62863_6992_29750.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
Love the Draigo. How did you paint him?

I just took it real slow. I used bolt gun metal on his body and then highlighted the edges of his armour with mithiril silver. For the cape I used ultramarines blue and then I worked in some white to get the highlights.

• 4 weeks later...

Greatings Brothers

Here is the last model of my 2012 paining vow. I am happy with the way Coteaz came out but I am not 100% happy with the way the pics came out. I will try taking new ones at a later time and next time I will be sure not to use a white background.

gallery_62863_6992_34631.jpg

gallery_62863_6992_36406.jpg

it's actually kind of funny, black templars are the only army i've known so far in 40k but i'm wanting to do a small grey knights force here in the future as well lol btw your coteaz looks great, i might suggest for your pics changing contrast or darkening a bit as the white background washes out some of the detail work on him. maybe try a pattern background with black and white on it man, just my suggestion man

it's actually kind of funny, black templars are the only army i've known so far in 40k but i'm wanting to do a small grey knights force here in the future as well lol btw your coteaz looks great, i might suggest for your pics changing contrast or darkening a bit as the white background washes out some of the detail work on him. maybe try a pattern background with black and white on it man, just my suggestion man

Brother Castellan Alaric,

You are totally correct about the contrast. That's what I was playing with on photoshop. I tried more then less contrast and if I made the background darker to separate it from the model then the gold on the armour came out looking like crap. You have a good eye though and I will be using your ideas for a different color background when I retake Coteaz's pictures.

• 1 month later...
looks good gunrunr. Particularly love your Deathwatch and your Draigo. Have you thought about making a vow for the Inquisition sub-forum for the DA painting challenge? We could use a brush like yours...

looks good gunrunr. Particularly love your Deathwatch and your Draigo. Have you thought about making a vow for the Inquisition sub-forum for the DA painting challenge? We could use a brush like yours...

Thanks for the kind words Brother Myxx. I was planning on representing the Inquisition in the DA painting challenge because I still have lots of unpainted Grey Knights sitting in boxes but ended up making my oath with the Black Templars instead. As it turns out, I had just made an oath to paint some models for my Templars sub-forum right before the DA challenge was posted. I was told the same models could count for both oaths so I just added a few more for the DA challenge.

Everything looks great. Still wished I painted that great.

Thank you Brother Elric.

Your welcome. Have you seen the Mantis Warriors I am doing in the Tale of the 17 gamers in the WIP forum?

No I have not, but I'll be sure to go check it out now.

Archived