My First Daemonette!

SisterOfBattle

Sat up all night to finish her off, Sorry that the photo is terrible taken on my iphone & i'm now tired and covered in paint.

Please be nice but all tips are much appreciated

( This is not only my first deamonette but my first proper model :$ )

The hair is a turquoise fade to black :(

wanted to differ from the norm, Also i've added some dripping blood to the base now which isn't in the photo

(Oh and i've touched up the toe ! )

http://i43.tinypic.com/ve6pw4.jpg

Emma !

x

To pick up on what Grotsmasha said, if you apply a thin (ie. slightly watered-down) wash of Leviathan Purple over the skin, it could really improve your model. Also, try thinning out your paints (don't just chuck a load of water into them, but instead, get yourself an old plate, on old CD, or any other hard, flat and clean object to use as a palette. Then, take a bit of paint, put it onto the palette and dip your brush into your water pot and mix in with the paint until completely homogenous. You'll need to apply at least a couple of coats to have a nice layer, but it's worth the effort!) :tu:

For the metal, I'd suggest you first apply a watered-down wash of Devlan Mud and then once it's dry, go over with a bit of Badab Black. After that, make sure it's dry and then highlight the upper parts with Boltgun Metal/Chainmail.

You may want to also add a bit more depth to your claws, so what I suggest you do is to go over them with a wash of Badab Black. Once it's dry, go over the whole claw with a bit of watered-down purple, leaving the wash visible in the recesses. Then, mix white and purple (and a bit of water) together and paint highlight the claw edges and other raised parts. It will look much better ;)

For highlighting the black, use a bit of watered-down Adeptus Battlegrey and do highlight the edges. If you find that it's a bit too bright, you can always go ovet the black with a Badab Black wash :)

The hair, the toes, etc... don't look too bad either, there's room for improvement, but I'll spare you another painting lesson and wait until you reply to what I've suggested above :)

Oh and finally, remember that if you find your highlight lines are too thick, you can always correct them after with a bit of the base colour and a detail brush ;)

Cheers,

Ludovic

Sorry, Emma - it's nice to see you here and so, since you're one of the few females hanging around with a whole company of nerds (or even a whole chapter of them? Or an entire legion? Whatever!), but this forum is power armour only, so please post a CSM or something or this thread might get deleted. :)

So say the mods, that is.

Sorry, Emma - it's nice to see you here and so, since you're one of the few females hanging around with a whole company of nerds (or even a whole chapter of them? Or an entire legion? Whatever!), but this forum is power armour only, so please post a CSM or something or this thread might get deleted. :)

I thought Daemons were allowed. They've even got their own section on the forum... Have the rules changed?

Ludovic

I thought Daemons were allowed. They've even got their own section on the forum... Have the rules changed?

Ludovic

But... but... Power armour oO

Well, okay... one might argue that they're supposed to be part of the Chaos Space Marines... Okay. Point taken, nothing said.

In this case: welcome, SisterOfBattle! ^^

/e: @ Battle Brother Ludovic: yup, double-checked it. You're right. Daemons are okay. *blush*

I don't need to add any more advice on whats already been said. But I would like to say that you have a very promising start. A lot lot better than my first figures. Once you have figured out washes, your figures will have a lot more tone and depth.

The pose kinda made me laugh a little. She looks like shes been caught with her claws in the cookie jar :)

Anywho. Well done so far and welcome to B&C

CTK

Thank you So much for all the advice I just can't seem to get the hang of washes tried a little drybrushing , I do water down my paints , I don't think the effect on the photo helps how the skin looks though ;) , really sorry if I'm not supposed to post here ! :/

Thank you So much for all the advice I just can't seem to get the hang of washes tried a little drybrushing , I do water down my paints , I don't think the effect on the photo helps how the skin looks though ;) , really sorry if I'm not supposed to post here ! :/

No need to apologise, you are allowed to post here (Rogan got a wee bit mixed up ;))

As for the washes, at this stage, you can just apply them liberally over the wanted are and then clean up the results with a dab of paint :(

Ludovic

Sorry, Emma - it's nice to see you here and so, since you're one of the few females hanging around with a whole company of nerds (or even a whole chapter of them? Or an entire legion? Whatever!), but this forum is power armour only, so please post a CSM or something or this thread might get deleted. :wallbash:

No the mods don't say.

Demons are fine, seeing as how we even have a forum for them:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showforum=134 :sick:

We decided to keep them around after the split because we felt they were an important part of the whole Chaos setting.

As for the flesh being thick on the mini. That depends a lot on how much you are applying in layers. Thinning your paint is great and all but if you are overloading your brush still it doesn't help you out. The base color you are doing it over can have an impact as well. Are you doing this over a black or white base?

It just seems to always come out wrong like too heavy and patchy no matter how much i water it down, No idea what i'm doing wrong :sick:

First, make sure you shake the bottles real well. Second, try just applying a teeny bit into the recesses of the model. Should work out OK. If not, then take some pictures so that we (I) can see what's wrong :wallbash:

Ludovic

Photography skills like yours and you take a pic from you phone? lol

Looking good though babe :wallbash:

You should have uploaded the picture you sent me, looks great with the blood effects

Photography skills like yours and you take a pic from you phone? lol

Looking good though babe :down:

You should have uploaded the picture you sent me, looks great with the blood effects

Thank you although you are obligated to be nice seeing as you taught me everything i know , I need the black wash :( just realised i don't have it !

I need the black wash :P just realised i don't have it !

You don't need it, it's just that the models would look better with it :down: But if you like the models how they are now, then by all means, paint them all this way :(

Ludovic

Also, try thinning out your paints (don't just chuck a load of water into them, but instead, get yourself an old plate, on old CD, or any other hard, flat and clean object to use as a palette. Then, take a bit of paint, put it onto the palette and dip your brush into your water pot and mix in with the paint until completely homogenous. You'll need to apply at least a couple of coats to have a nice layer, but it's worth the effort!) :D

I've found that to get really good control on the proportions (very important if you want a consistent repeatable process here) you can use those cheap syringes that you get from the vet to squirt medicine into your pup's mouth to mix water paint etc with. They really work well and you can snag then from about any vet or pet shop and from most good pharmacies for next to nothing. Any time we get something for our dog I always wash them and keep them around.

I've found that to get really good control on the proportions (very important if you want a consistent repeatable process here) you can use those cheap syringes that you get from the vet to squirt medicine into your pup's mouth to mix water paint etc with. They really work well and you can snag then from about any vet or pet shop and from most good pharmacies for next to nothing. Any time we get something for our dog I always wash them and keep them around.

Wow, that is brilliant. How did I never think of this.

Archived