GD WIP - Iron Snakes Command Group

Hi guys,

I'm starting work soon on my first ever Golden Daemon entry, I've never undertaken any project on this kind of scale before, so I'm really hoping you guys will give me some solid feedback to keep me on the straight and narrow!

I've had a bit of experience painting Iron Snakes from my last WIP thread.

My plan is to combine parts from the following sets:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1000382a_99120101032_BACommander_224x160.jpghttp://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1252466_99120101028_SMCmdSqdmain_224x160.jpg

With some rather excellent parts sculpted for me by Sioka:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzwxz0CUGW1qd9z3no1_500.jpg

For those that aren't familiar with the Iron Snakes. here's a picture from the Black Library:

http://www.totalwallpapers.com/fantasy/wallpapers/brothers-of-the-snake.jpg

No images of the minis yet, but I'd love to hear any suggestions you have for how I can really lift my painting and modelling to give myself a shout for the Sydney GD.

WotF

Having gone back and looked at your old models, my best suggestion is to try and differentiate the metals on the surface of the Snake's PA, and things like the BP, the assault marine chest harness, cause when I looked just a minute ago they looked a little close together in shade, could have been lighting, but I dunno. Maybe hit some areas/spots with another wash, or mithril silver to mix it up?

How do you plan to present the models? All on based made to match/slot into a little diorama? Cause if you go that route you can splatter smited enemies on the diorama.

The other suggestion I have is to model your units as differently from the box as you can, cause the closer in appearance they hold to the boxart it won't be as impressive, I also suggest avoiding using arms that put guns or other stuff across their chests so those lovely sculpts can be easily seen.

Spend some time researching TMM (True Metallic Metals) and try to replicate that effect. NMM is still a pretty popular technique going around, but has become somewhat commonplace at competitions; well-done metallics are something that stands out.

I'd recommend working within the confines of the squad category. That's one that a lot of veteran comp painters tend to neglect, which give you better odds at picking up a daemon. Dioramas are a possibility, but sometimes you get a veteran that decided they wanted to just go all out, and enter that category.

Now for the bubble-bursting: Check the fine print on the rules for entries at GD Australia, because over here in the states, all conversion/sculpt/paint work has to all be done by one person, so you wouldn't be able to enter those chest pieces... or rather you could, but now that the truth is out in the world, if you got a daemon with your entry, someone could cry foul, and slap you with a DQ, and in today's world, that stuff travels fast.

Hope some of this helps; I love the Iron Snakes, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :P

GD AU Rules..

5. Only Entries painted or converted by the entrant may be entered. Entries submitted by or on behalf of third parties will not be considered.

:(

No problem though, I'll just have to rethink the torso components. Such a shame, but rules are rules!

This also means I'm going to have to built some hoplite shields from scratch for them too!

As for the painting, thanks for the feedback already, the minis in the other WIP thread are more 'tabletop' quality, here's an example of a mini I put a bit more time into, which I gave about 10 hours painting time.

For each mini in this group, I'm estimating something like 30 hours.

:P

WotF

You can pull it off if you put the time in, you have a good grounding and the talent.

One thing that helped me step up my game is the following:

(it's not me, though the name resemblance is uncanny!) I learned a lot from watching his videos and it helped me jump up a step.

Also get some flow improver, it allows you to thin your paints without losing so much of the pigment, it took me a couple of goes to work out the correct consistancies, but it helps to no end.

(sorry to the mods if the direct link to youtube isn't allowed, just remove it and I'll pm the OP)

Here's a sneak peak, some of my bits for the project:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m00r6tepGv1qd9z3no1_500.jpg

The shields are going to be scraped and re-sculpted, so I think I'll still be ok to use them, considering they will basically be plastic discs when the detail is taken off.

Nice to see you getting some paint on those Snakes WotF, the only place I have seen the two up Demon entrys have any luck is Spain not sure about Oz. You can probably sculpt those torso bits yourself now mate if you put your mind to it, just remember to try it before you paint them up so you can see the different layers of putty on the finnished ones I did for you. I have seen some of your stuff and its good. remember to keep trying new things no matter how impossible they may seem, only once you try will they become easier. If you get stuck give me a shout via P.M, I will try to check in more often -_-

Archived