FW Contemptor Dreadnoughts

CAM77

I'm interested in getting a few of these since I love the models but I'm curious how they do in actual gameplay. In games where FW is allowed, what are some good tactics for utilizing these guys? How is the mortis loadout compared to the standard, and in general do you find contemptors are worth the points over regular dreads?

I have 2, depending on what weapons you have, (changeable if you want) you can run them as just cool looking normal dreads or as any other "type" depending on your space marine army. I run mine as Ironclad or just normal. The problem/advantage of them is that they are larger than the normal dread and look freak awesome which if your opponent does not check could cause them to take more fire than the normal looking dreads. To counter this you could run them as Venerable but honestly that is rather points expensive.

I've not run them, but I've run against them and both times they've been disappointing. Slow despite fleet, unable to go in a Drop Pod I believe, and even their heavy 6 assault cannon did little. However, with good use of cover, fleet and two combat weapons they should be good in combat thanks to their WS5, while given a carapace CML (I believe) and two of the heavy 6 assault cannons the shooty version can be a deadly ranged combatant at midfield.

My first impression of them was, actually, not Dreadnought-related. I figured they'd be good-looking replacement for the ridiculousness that is the papoose-wearing Dreadknight. That being said, due to financial concerns, I abandoned my plans for a GK army and thus have no need to buy one -- and no one else hereabouts has expressed any interest in buying one. But they do look great...

Yeah, that is true, there is always the option to run them as normal dreads or ven. dreads, but I was really curious if people were finding the actual contemptor rules good / worth the points. I've made up my mind to order some of the models, and I will use them regardless, but now I want to decide whether to order IA Apocalypse SE along with them to get the contemptor rules as well.

The mortises sound nice (12 assault cannon shots and 2 kraks?.... yes please!!!) But, for the points cost I can nearly get two normal dreads. It seems like a big points investment for something that can go down in one shot.

The problem with running them with forgeworld rules is you wont be able to use those rules and honestly the points investment is rather high. Seriously if i see a guy running a mortis it will be a very high priority target and that nice model will get removed from the table quick. All that love and work would not be given a chance to shine. ;)

The problem with running them with forgeworld rules is you wont be able to use those rules and honestly the points investment is rather high.

Says who? We use Forge World rules down at my local store all the time, it's the only way people would be able to play with their Red Scorpian and Astral Claw armies that they've spent so long on. Whether or not Forge World applies differs from store to store and gaming group to gaming group, my advise to the OP and anyone who wants to use a Contemptor Dread or other Forge World products is to ask first at their local gaming group and see what they say.

Archived